Explorer 8.8 Rear in a Comet

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Explorer 8.8 Rear in a Comet

Post by lavron »

I made the cut today, once I weld it back together I will post my process (after I grind my sloppy welds).

Going to share a little tip I am doing to clean the tubes on the inside, I guess this would work on pretty much any rear you want to clean the tubes on.

I was looking for a cheap way to do this, and you guys might have a cheaper way than this, but bought a round toilet brush for a few bucks off Amazon (couldn't find one local) even has a convenient stand :roll: :lol:

I used some degreaser and a bucket and brushed out the tube I cut, tomorrow I am going to make the handle longer so I can reach the rest of the way in and then do the other side when I change the wheel bearings. I have thought about making something to chuck it in the drill so I can spin it too, most likely wouldn't last too long but you never can tell. I just have one to clean anyway.

It worked really well, tubes look new inside.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THE life of that brush on a drill will depend on the speed and how long you leave it in one place.. and how wet you can keep it.JMO....great work and great money saving tips...thanks for sharing,MIKE >>>>>>>pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

So I noticed one of my axles has what appears to be an "O" ring right where the "C" clip goes, the other does not, are they needed? Or should they even be there? It is no big deal to me I can put one on each axle just not sure the purpose of them, if any :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The o-rings would've been there originally...it helps hold the c-clip when slapping it together. IIRC, it goes against the splined side of the axle. Dunno how available they are, but any o-ring the correct size could be used.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well I will leave the one that is on there and add one to the other side.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Here is a shot of the new weld looking inside the axle housing, I had a couple of spots (at least) where I welded all the way through, I am going to quit worrying about it now and call it good.

So I painted it with some POR15, I know I will have to grind the spots back off when I weld the 4-link brackets on but at least it won't rust, you can see the waviness where the weld is/was.

When I get everything welded on I will do another coat of POR 15 and then some Chassis Black so it won't be so shiny.

I may try to rent the bearing puller tomorrow and replace the bearings so I can get the brakes back on and put some tires on this so I can roll it instead of toting it around, it is way too heavy too keep moving it and lifting it up onto the bench to work on it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

You coulda pulled a thick head moment like me and had a buddy help you haul the rear up a bunch of stairs and out to the garage WITH the rotors and calipers bolted on!! :shock: :( Woulda taken 5-min to shave 40lbs. off! Sometimes...sigh...

2nd welding effort looks better too me - can see a lot more penetration. Chassis black...or some dust...will tone down that shine! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:2nd welding effort looks better too me - can see a lot more penetration.
I hope, I am probably worrying about it too much :roll:

I did get the new wheel bearings in today and reassembled the brakes, I did all that up on a set of saw horses, and decided that wasn't too smart :P I had these old tires and wheels off a Jeep that I took to town today and had them patched so they would hold air, so I bolted them on and lowered one end at a time, it is still a bite to move around.

I moved it in the corner but will try and buy some lube for it tomorrow fill it (it needs the lube bad because I cleaned the inside so well it wants to rust) and get the rear cover on, then it will have to wait until I am ready to work on the car to weld the brackets on.

With the Jeep wheels it comes out to around 63.5 inches outside of tire to outside, the one currently in the car is around 60 inches with the little skinny 14" tires, I have maybe 3" to 3.5" from the sidewall to the fender lip so it should fit. Using those tires should be a good starting point to figure out my new tire and wheel offsets, those are 28" tires however and I want to go with 26" or 27" tires (can't remember the size off the top of my head, they are 235/55R16).

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

So the 8.8 is done, I will share the experience as soon as I get the pictures put together, the rest to be done is welding on 4-link and bag brackets so I will share that under my build thread or start a new thread on those when the time comes.

I did get the Mustang 8.8 cover and install it, however it did require a minor modification to work and I will share that in the presentation for anyone that might want to add it as well, it is not fancy but it looks better than the rusty steel cover IMO, not that it will show much and I got a drain plug in the process, that is how I am going to justify the expense :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Another justification is those fins really help cool & + being aluminum really helps too. & it looks tuff ! A man cuts all the corners he can so he can get the goodies he wants. :)
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Another justification is those fins really help cool & + being aluminum really helps too. & it looks tuff ! A man cuts all the corners he can so he can get the goodies he wants. :)
goodies are what counts when making it your personal ride....you've done well GRASSHOPPER !!! :wink: :wink: :D 8) pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Not sure I asked on this but when I returned the bearing puller to O'Reillys today I bought some Royal Purple gear oil, mostly because it was on sale (still was almost $50 for 3 bottles)

Hope this is good stuff, and I think I read it took 3 quarts to fill the rear because that is how much I poured in there :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Ok, this might be huge and I might leave some steps out, so if I do just ask and I will fix it.

First a disclaimer, I am not saying this is the correct or professional way to shorten a rear diff. and if you have any concerns you should probably have a professional do it, I am not (you can probably tell from my horribly messy shed) I feel pretty confident that my tube will not crack and is fairly straight (at least as straight as it was to start) and I may need to have it professionally straightened after I weld on my brackets will wait and see.

The basic premise of doing the Ford Explorer 8.8 narrowing is too use two passenger side axles and shorten the housing on the drivers side to match the passenger side, it centers the pumpkin (closer) and results in a rear diff that is of an acceptable length to fit in an early Comet (up to 1965) and you don't need to have custom axles made. In doing this modification I have discovered one other benefit that I have never heard addressed, when I put this in my Comet I will have no more fears of rollovers because it weighs more than my car so it should be like a Weeble (<--that is a joke, BTW) I measured my long axle against my short one and found out it was 2 7/8" longer so that is how much I cut out the tube. Make sure you measure is pretty close and don't cut too short.

So without further delay, here is how I did it;

First I obtained a totally rusty 8.8 out of a '98 Mercury Mountaineer for $75 that turned into $125 by the time it was out and in the back of my truck :roll: You have seen pictures of it already but just to remind you (a very rusty diff is not required for this, nor recommended)

I did a lot of cleanup prior to actually shortening it but I am not going to post that here because all of it is elsewhere on the Forum.

The first thing I did is build a welding jig, I did this different than I have seen it done but I like to do stuff my way I guess :roll: I took some angle iron (the smaller being off an old bed frame never, ever use that if you want to drill holes in it)

I notched the smaller angles

I don't have pictures, but I clamped the smaller angles to the axle flanges and drilled holes through to match and inserted carriage bolts and bolted the small angles too the flanges, then I used some large hose clamps and attached the large angles to the axle tubes butting up against the small angles and I welded them together. They look like this;

I also took a cutoff wheel in the angle grinder and scribed along the edge of the angles for clocking marks. I then removed the fixtures (make sure you mark which is front and back, I painted mine two different colors and marked them on the tubes as well)

I set up my chop saw on a table and clamped everything down and squared it up.

I did a couple of things to make sure the diff stayed in the same position (square and clocked the same) to help eliminate any possible errors in alignment when I welded it, clocking it the same would allow for any variation in squareness to match on both cuts (in theory). One was I put a couple of screws either side of the far tube to keep it square when I slid it forward for the second cut, I would recommend lag bolts and not screws like I used, the rear is heavy and likes to be a bully.

I also used the board to make sure the edge of the diff sat down on it to keep it clocked properly.

I made sure the ratchet straps were good and tight and my mark aligned with a new cutoff disk and slowly cut the end off, checking often to see I was still in line (or close)

I cut it off and slid the rear over and cut the second part off.

Then I bolted my welding jig on and measured the tube and found out I was a bit long, I ran a hose clamp around each cut and discovered the first cut I made was a bit off, no biggie, I just used the grinder to take the tube back to the clamp. (I also cleaned the tubes at this time, posted earlier)

I also chamfered around the tubes and in hindsight I wish I would have chamfered more, because even though I am not showing it here, I ground the welds back out wider and deeper and welded it again (a piece at a time)

I put the welding fixture back on and checked the length and axle fit, both were good.

And checked that the axle went in far enough for the "C" clip to be installed.

with all this checked I moved the axle upright on an old tire and wheel so I could weld it and spin it. (not at the same time)

After I had welded short lengths (about an inch at a time) and cooled them with compressed air as I went and waited until I could touch it with my bare hand and not burn me, I welded more and then removed one welding jig and welded around that side

Weld Penetration.

And finally removed the other jig and welded the final side, I had really beautiful welds but forgot to take any pictures :roll: :wink: before I ground them smooth (not really recommended to grind your weld when making a butt weld unless you have a large chamfer)

At this time I put the axles back in and degreased the inside of the rear diff, I used hot water and Purple Power De-Greaser, I also scrubbed what I could with a nylon brush

I rinsed it and dried it with the heat gun, a word of warning, don't leave it this way too long because it is really clean an prone too rust.

Now I replaced my wheel bearings by first removing the old seals, I used a blue "pinch" bar, but be careful and don't insert it too far and damage the tube inner face.

I rented/borrowed a wheel bearing puller from the local parts store, the puller end looks like this and is inserted into the center of the bearing and the large washer and nut are tightened down.

It is attached to a 5lb slide hammer.

A few slides of the hammer and the bearing pops right out (at least mine did)

While the bearings are out it is a good time to scrub the insides of the tubes, I tilted the housing so it would all run back out the end and added an extension to my round toilet brush (just an old blind opening wand, taped to the handle of the brush).

My new bearings are Timken Axle savers, they move the bearing location slightly on the axle and include a seal built in, which is in a new location as well.

There is also an additional seal on the inside, not sure if this will starve the bearings or not of grease.

I added a little sealer around the bearing just to be sure and inserted it back in the tube.

With these bearings they protrude 1/4" out past the end of the tube, I failed to take a picture of this so photo edited a different one, so if this looks a little odd that is why,

I used my rubber dead blow hammer to install these and a large brass rod to tap on at the very end to make sure they were fully seated.

Next the E brakes and backing plates etc were installed.

Reinstall the axles and clip them in. A word of warning when you pull the axles the first time, put the cross pin and the cross pin bolt back in or you will be removing the "S" spring to get the spider gears lined back up and the "S" spring is a bite to get back in (ask me how I know :roll: ) You can see in this picture I just pulled the cross pin out part of the way to get the "C" clips reinstalled.

And these are infamous "C" clips that fit in the slots in the end of the axle and then the cross pin keeps the axles out so they can't move to the middle and loose the "C" clips and them the axles go flying off (really the disc brake caliper should hold the axle in)

After the "C" clips are in slide the axles back toward the outside and push the cross pin back in (don't let it fall all the way through) then install the cross pin bolt, some replace this with a new one but you can reuse it if it isn't worn bad, just put some thread locker on it (sorry about the fuzzy picture)

Now is the time to fill it up, I used Royal Purple (75-140 synthetic with friction modifier, it was on sale, can't say it is good because I don't know).

I bought a Mustang 8.8 Aluminum rear cover, no reason except I thought it looked cool, it will not fit without modification, one rib inside contacts the anti-lock ring, I highlighted it in red below.

So I trimmed it down, it barely touches it so you would not have to cut off as much as I did, but I wanted good clearance.

And smoothed down a little

I used The Right Stuff to make a gasket with and I have a seeping spot so I am going to have to take it off sometime and reseal it, I can see where I messed up in the picture above where I put grease in.

I also moved the vent to the top on the rear cover and plugged the axle vent with a set screw with the same thread, I used red thread locker on it.

The only thing left is too install the brakes, which I painted the calipers with POR15 Red Caliper Paint. I will need to pull the rotors back off sometime and adjust the E brake shoes but I will get to that sometime later.

It looks pretty good for being that old rusty hunk at the beginning, I think the truck it came out of had 125,000 miles on it, which I guess these days is not that many.

Again any questions or comments just post them.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I don't know about not beveling the tubes and then grinding the weld's off. That doesn't leave much for strength.

SW
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.