c4 issues

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
BJB

Re: c4 issues

Post by BJB »

popscomet wrote:
BJB wrote:With that crud still floating around..???? .his call then.
HAVE YOU EVER noticed the crud in the bottom of an oil pan ?? it don't float around....you have to scrap it out...pop
Pop, that crud in the bottom of the C4 is like flowing lava ...its a non solid viscous crap..... :mrgreen:

What's not explained is , how did the oil end up that way....hope it doesn't return.

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I think moisture and somewhat AGE........POP
pop/glenda

Hubert Cumberdale

Post by Hubert Cumberdale »

hey pops,I just power braked it a little and smoked the tires for a few seconds.Nothing crazy,I was trying to see if I could work free some of the nasty fluid.And I needed a little relief :mrgreen: this car has fought me harder than any project before(and hopefully after).

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

There's definitely water in the trans.and you have to find the source. First,look in the radiator to see if there's oil in the coolant.If there is,that is probably the source.You can remove both cooler lines and air pressure check to confirm a leak.If there is,a new radiator is in order.IMO,there is too much water for it to be condensation.Here's what I have done in the past(after you have confirmed and corrected the water source) and it works...Remove just the return line and route a hose from it to a bucket,start the car,leave it in park at idle and pump out fluid till it quits pumping which you have done.Dump diesel fuel in the trans till it pumps about 3 quarts straight diesel.Reconnect the line,fill to proper level with diesel, With the car running, shift the trans thru all gears a bunch of times for about 20 minutes,assuming you have the car on jack stands.Remove the return line again and start adding type F till 3 quarts of straight fluid comes out,reconnect the line and fill the trans to proper level, shift thru all the gears like before.You probably would be OK at this point but I would remove the return again and pump till it quits,drop the pan,clean it out,new filter,run 7 or 8 more quarts of type F thru it,connect the return,top it off and go for a drive.
I know it's a hassle and a loss of a lot of costly fluid but it would save the cost and work of an overhaul if the trans was good to start with.
P.S.
Diesel fuel is known to have some solid contaminants so it would be a good idea to get it at a hi volume station and filter it thru a fine paint strainer.

Hubert Cumberdale

Post by Hubert Cumberdale »

Thanks vice grip.I will defiantly give that a shot.Im sitting on a decent amount of type f so no worries.

BJB

Post by BJB »

Any update?
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

ants875

Post by ants875 »

You also need to make sure you have the trans completely full, after you fill you need to start and run through the gears and check with the car running. As for the radiator causing this you would have red coolant, the trans cooler lines run about 30 psi compared to 14 on the radiator so usually the trans pumps into the radiator. And you better hope that is the case since antifreeze eats the glue that hold the clutches to their steels in a trans so if you pumped antifreeze through the trans it's toast. But my money is on the car setting too long without running

Ant