Toploader

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Comechero65

Re: Toploader

Post by Comechero65 »

DesertFox wrote:I tired to attach a photo, but could not as the board attachment quota had been reached. This was my comment.

This is the center transmission tunnel with the hump I plan to use. Purchased this "hump" from a friend and assume it is a Ford factory item (50 year old original part), but from what model of Ford I do not know. Assume it is for a Comet. As you can see the hole will be cut much smaller than the photo you provided. I hope all will work. My friend did the same auto to manual swap on his 1965 Comet, but his shifter mounted further back on the tail shaft. Believe he used a Mustang 4-speed. Again, thanks for all of your help. Great talking with all of you. Roger, Ret USAF

The shifter hump was the same from 60-65 on the falcon and at at least 64/65 comet. Don't know if the comets from 60-63 were the same or not.
As you can see in the pic the hole is cut for about a 1 inch overlap all the way around.
Don't be fooled by the mustang trans. the shifter is mounted all the way to the back of the tailhousing whereas the falcon needs the shifter all the way to the front. that way it fits in the shifter hump. Using a mustang trans would need the hole cut further back and would only work with buckets seats. The hole would also need to be on the side of the tunnel and there is no hump that would fit there.
The humps are available from falcon venders. They were available in steel for a short time but now only in fiberglass which is ok just have to be more careful drilling and cutting.
You need to setup an offsite host for your pics such as photobucket. then you can link your pics here or anywhere you choose.

Mine with shifter and boot installed. Actually this is a 3 speed knob. I have a 4 speed knob now.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Pop!! That's MY big hole your talking about!!! :lol: :lol:
Looking at it from under the car the hole I cut is just about right. In fact the Hurst shifter is actually close to touching in a few spots. When I installed the trans there was plenty of room for adjustment.
If it's good enough for Ford it's good enough for me!
Also I used nuts and bolts for my cover instead of screws- and my car has not split in half from the gigantic hole I cut :lol: :lol:
(One more thing- it looks bigger in the picture. It really ain't that big! :lol: )

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The pic I posted of the hole in the floor was Joes comet. He did a nice job and the pic is self explanatory how he laid it out. He put it right where it needed to be. When I installed the SROD in mine i still used the hump as the carpet I had ordered was cut to include the hump. On Non floor shift cars the carpet is cut differently where the hump would go.

Joe if you used bolts and nuts, how did you get the nuts on? Would take some long arms. Did you have help or just weld the nuts to the floor?

Joe it was good seeing you and the comet at Roys' memorial. Was a long drive but was well worth it. Comechero ran like a champ all the way. I think Doug was very pleased to get to see it. I think he plans to finish off his dads wagon with the comet front end. I'll be anxious to see it finished.

Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:lol: :D I THOUGHT I 'd seen that hole before,,,and if you'll search back a few years ,I made the big hole comment back then :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: but back then and today,I can't see having to have such a big hole......pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote::lol: :D I THOUGHT I 'd seen that hole before,,,and if you'll search back a few years ,I made the big hole comment back then :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: but back then and today,I can't see having to have such a big hole......pop
Take it up with Ford buddy! :wink:

comethead

Post by comethead »

Comechero65 wrote:The pic I posted of the hole in the floor was Joes comet. He did a nice job and the pic is self explanatory how he laid it out. He put it right where it needed to be. When I installed the SROD in mine i still used the hump as the carpet I had ordered was cut to include the hump. On Non floor shift cars the carpet is cut differently where the hump would go.

Joe if you used bolts and nuts, how did you get the nuts on? Would take some long arms. Did you have help or just weld the nuts to the floor?

Joe it was good seeing you and the comet at Roys' memorial. Was a long drive but was well worth it. Comechero ran like a champ all the way. I think Doug was very pleased to get to see it. I think he plans to finish off his dads wagon with the comet front end. I'll be anxious to see it finished.

Ron
Thanks for the pic Ron!
It was great seeing you as well. Glad everything went well on the drive.
My Comet got me there and back with ease. I think it's around a 200 mile round trip for me.

Joe

DesertFox

Post by DesertFox »

One final question. What length of speed-o cable did you use for your 4-speed transmission? I have been told you need an 82 inch long cable.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:lol: :lol: :? my word JOE,I won't even consider a trip in my 64 COMET UNDER A 2HR DRIVE.....were you shocked??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: pop
pop/glenda