Front coil spring removal help please.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
VtComet

Front coil spring removal help please.

Post by VtComet »

Im not sure if I just got dumber or just a brainfart. I have done this many times on vw bugs, chevys but nothing this old on a car. I have a 60 comet that im trying to take the front end apart on and I cant for the life of me how to figure out how to get the damn springs out without getting WACKED, lol. I have the 2 studs on the bottom and the one on top of the shock, right? Ok, what do I loosen first when I have the compressor on it and tightening, or compressing it down. Can I take the 2 nuts off the bottom without the compressor on it or will it blow out and chase me around? Like I said, BRAINFART....... HELP PLEASE..... THANKS

Lip Ripper

Re: Front coil spring removal help please.

Post by Lip Ripper »

Remove the shock. Jack up the car and let the front suspension hang. If you are using clamp type compressor's you squeeze the spring until it is free and pull's out over the top of the upper control arm. If the 60 has an outer shield or shroud around the spring remove that too.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

With the suspension hanging, remove the shock and upper shock bracket. Then use an internal compressor, never external compressors (too awkward and dangerous I believe). I have a set of externals but find them hard to keep in place and like to slip, scary to use.
Compress the spring in place enough to unbolt the spring perches, Then you can slowly uncompress the spring enough to remove the spring. You can fab your own or borrow one from your local auto parts store. I like this style as it is simple to use, safer than some others. Return the compressor when finished to get your deposit back or just keep it and your cost is the deposit. Ends up being reasonably priced.

If you have already done the Shelby (Arning) drop you 'almost' don't need a compressor is what I have noticed.

This style is kind of similar to what ford shows in the service manuals:
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/co ... icle=false

Safety is the most important thing to insure non injury. Springs are like a loaded gun.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VtComet

Post by VtComet »

Thanks for the replies guys. After starting to put the clamps on and tightening them it finally kicked in and remembered, lol. Damn, getting old really sucks. Thanks again.

Groover

Post by Groover »

VtComet wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. After starting to put the clamps on and tightening them it finally kicked in and remembered, lol. Damn, getting old really sucks. Thanks again.
I'm sorry, what was the question again?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

VtComet

Post by VtComet »

EXACTLY GROOVER. Wait, what was exactly now..haha

loman

Post by loman »

x2 on what Ron said about safety is the most important thing.

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Did anybody on here use the autozone tool,thinking about buying one? Andy

Groover

Post by Groover »

I have used this autozone tool.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/co ... icle=false

It has sort of a fork on one end. I also recall that I have bent it via repeated use :( That would make me a little nervous about buying one.

But then again, I've bent both of my pitman arm pullers (or whatever you call them)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33mm-Pitman-Idl ... SwNSxUym-u

So maybe I just don't know when to stop.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

caseville cyclone

Thanks Groover for the info,I guess it worked for you many times before bending,hopefully it will work out and in once for me. When I installed shock tower kit from Crites,it came with coil springs and I think those springs were for the 427 FE. After sitting in car for over a year,I can jump up and down on fender and cannot get the front end to even move an eight of an inch. I have a 351 Cleveland in mine with aluminum heads and intake,aluminum radiator,fiberglass hood and front bumper. Getting those springs in was scary,to say the least. I have Total Control Products tubular upper and lower control arms,adjustable struts and roller perches. I'm going to do the Shelby drop and lighter coil springs. I'm used to it because I do everything twice in this car. LOL Thanks again:Andy

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

caseville cyclone wrote:Did anybody on here use the autozone tool,thinking about buying one? Andy
I have and use the Autozone compressor. Cost me price if the deposit. I didn't have to buy it as it can be borrowed at any time but I like owning my oiwn tools and having them ready when I need them. I like this style compressor as it is much like what ford shows in the service manuals. The compressor goes on the inside with the fork sitting on top of the shock tower after the shock bracket is removed. By hooking the coil as far down as possible on the spring. Sometimes it takes a stack of washers at the top to shorten the long threaded rod inside the coil. When tightened it compresses the spring up against the top of the shock tower. Obviously you can only do one at a time unless you have two compressors. I can only do one thing at a time so that's ok.
If the hooks on the compressor appear to want to slip on the spring I just clamp on with visegrips to stop it from moving. With the spiring being held captive up against the shock tower, it's not going anywhere and I feel it's fairly safe to work around. If in doubt uncompress partially to take some of the load off.
If you want to remove the spriing completely it can be slowly released once the spring perch is removed or the uca is removed.
Most of the time the shield on the tower under fender does not need to be removed and can be left in place to remove the spring.
Ron

caseville cyclone

Thanks Ron, I'm with you on just buying the tools because I might need it again. Your instructions will work great for me because I have to change the pivot arm in my TCP upper control arm,the new pivot arm has the shelby drop so I don't have to drill in my Crites shock tower plates. I need lighter coil springs also,going to use MOOG 8090 or 8088. Thanks Andy

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

caseville cyclone wrote:Thanks Ron, I'm with you on just buying the tools because I might need it again. Your instructions will work great for me because I have to change the pivot arm in my TCP upper control arm,the new pivot arm has the shelby drop so I don't have to drill in my Crites shock tower plates. I need lighter coil springs also,going to use MOOG 8090 or 8088. Thanks Andy
The method i described works for me and less scary than some others. A compressed coil spring is a loaded gun so caution is the word of the day.
I found on mine that after doing the shelby drop i almost didn't need a compressor as there was so little weight on the spring when suspension dropped down and hanging there. Though it's possible my springs were shorter than stock, don't know why unless someone else had changed them. They didn't appear to have been cut. When I got done I didn't like how low it sat so had to make some changes to lift it back up some.
The spring compressor like a few other tools are those that don't get used much but it's nice to have them when you need them. There are a few other tools I wish I owned but are either too expensive or take too much room.
Ron

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:Easiest and safest IMO:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/65-73-Mustang-She ... Ciid%253A1
I've never used that kind but it looks like you would need to unscrew it & unload the tension to get the coil off the car & out of the way????? where as the other kind will come off the car while staying loaded up . seems like a lot more time & trouble ,if the same coils are going back on.
I've used a couple different kinds. I'm not scared of any of them,if common sense is used & you pay attention to the hair on the back of your neck & respect it. I like the one like the autozone one above the best, but I've needed to use the pair of them that goes on the sides of the coil to put in adjustable coil spacers because the other could not be used.
Johno