What are these brakes???

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
DoctorComet

Re: What are these brakes???

Post by DoctorComet »

Rocket989 wrote:Yep, those shorty outer tie rods are a telltale sign!! There are a couple docs/ sites with info, but basically all the parts except the center link (which Falconparts.com sells) are '65-'66 'Stang parts. The exception is if you have a steering box with 1-1/8" sector. Then you need a power steering (important) pitman arm from a late '67-'70 ' Stang to hook to the center link. This all assumes manual V8 steering setup!

Did you ever check to see if your spindles had any markings??
I haven't had time to look any closer at the spindles. Where would the markings be at?

The car does have power steering currently, which I presume is original 1964 build, and as mentioned is a 289V8 car. So the shorty tie rods that were a tip-off means it the original 1964 setup?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Correct on the tie rods and any markings might help ID them!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Any markings are always cast into the back side of the spindle between the two mount points. At least on ford parts. Sometimes they are hard to read though.
Ron

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

Just some more pics, one of the engine where you can see the brake booster, and some of the power steering components

Same question - what looks stock, what looks like it's not stock?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

All looks original except the brake stuff...love the generator!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOOKS cool!!,,,my 64 has a double belt sit up on the generater,,,,,,does your comet still have the 5bolt block,reason I ask is ..your's is painted blue...mine is black and I noticed the difference in the curl on the dip stick.....it ain't no biggy ,I just noticed it :) ...I like that color of green yours is painted....OH and what does the fuse go to on the wire that is attached to the starter solenoid.thanks POP
pop/glenda

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

That's weird I have to zoom out to 33% to see the engine picture in its entirety. Or right click on it and "open in new tab"

If the power steering is stock, I wonder what that means with regards to upgrading the steering to 65 mustang parts?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

His pics are 2448 x 1836 that's why you have to zoom out so far to see the whole thing. He must be taking them directly from the camera. Mine come off the camera the same way. I like to resize my pics before uploading. Not so big and takes less time to upload as well.
Ron

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

That's surely not the stock power brake booster and reservoir?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Can't be a stock booster, the dual mc would never fit. Only enough room for a single mc.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MY COMET was factory power drum brks..the booster was real small......and it had PS.....I removed it all several yrs ago...pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Comechero65 wrote:Can't be a stock booster, the dual mc would never fit. Only enough room for a single mc.
They made room for whatever's in there by hacking on the shock tower brace. Looks like it could cut you pretty easy. :shock:
Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The brace is cut to allow access to the reservoir. Common problem but unnecessary if the braces are replaced with the export brace.

A stock ford booster from those years was too thick to use anything but a single reservoir mc. Only 10" of room between the firewall and shock tower. Only the compact booster from ABS and the Geo and a few import boosters will fit.
Ron

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

This is all very educational! I've tried to scour the net to find someone who has done the following: (without success)

My comet has the original power steering, which I want to keep. It has grenada brakes and booster etc. I see many articles/posts about converting manual 1964 steering to manual 1965 steering. Can't find someone with power steering who has done it. It's probably out there I just can't find it! My car has the 289 V8 automatic, column shift, by the way.

What are the parts to buy to keep my power steering, but upgrade to 1965 geometry? (recognizing that I have Grenada brakes, so that probably means something for the outer tie rods)
Anyone with knowledge of the parts to order out there, or know of a link to a 1964 power steering to 1965 power steering article?

Thanks SO MUCH. It will be driving season soon here in central Illinois, (although it's 9 degrees today lol)

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

You'd need to change your steering box. There's no pitman arm that will connect a 1-1/8 sector shaft to the '65 PS centerlink (which you also need). So box, centerlink, pitman arm, tie rods would be specific to keep PS. I don't think the '65 PS centerlink is reproduced...could be wrong.