What are these brakes???

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
DoctorComet

What are these brakes???

Post by DoctorComet »

Bought this 1964 comet caliente convertible and it's got a front disc brake conversion - but the old fellow who owned the car and did the work has passed away. Wondering what these parts came from, if anyone recognizes them? He was an old car & junkyard guy, so they were scavenged off something. Someone thought they remembered it was from an old Ford F150?? Check out those skinny rotors! Looks kinda delicate to me. The casting on the left side (just below where the brake line attaches) has a "208" cast into it. The casting on the passenger side has "RH"....probably stands for Right Hand? Unsure. I'd like to find out so I can 1) be able to re-do the brakes/get parts when needed - but ALSO to figure out what kind of rack & pinion I could put in it. The steering is so imprecise and when driving down the road it feels so floaty/wobbley that no one in my family feels comfortable driving it. I took lots of pics, posting about half of them here. Hope that someone out there will recognize what I've got! Thanks!!

poboyjo65

Re: What are these brakes???

Post by poboyjo65 »

That next to last pic does resemble 70's ford truck brakes with that slider spring deal that hold it on. & the rotors look wore out, one side anyway. The best thing you can do to make it drive good is convert it to 65 V8 comet steering with spindles. A csrp Swap 1 brake kit is the best & least expensive way to have good brakes on these cars. was this originally a v8 car?
Johno

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

It is a V8 car. 289, automatic, column shift. The brakes work fine. If I'm going to spend more $$ (which I am :D ) I will put a power rack & pinion in it. I've heard of different salvage yard parts that can be made to work, and of course I've checked out the new swap kits available online. That's also what leads me to wanting to decipher exactly what I've got here - when you look at ordering a swap, they want to know what brakes/spindles etc. you've got, so that the tie rods are the right length, among other things. So any advice there would be much appreciated as well!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Brakes are Granada... '64 steering is lousy geometry...upgrading to '65 steering is a worthwhile upgrade!!

Nice Comet!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

Grenada!
Found this GREAT post on fordforumsonline:

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads ... lcon.2714/

Looks just like my stuff only a whole lot nicer. Says he used a 1978.

If I can get it close I suppose I can hunt online for calipers that look like that. So if I have Grenada spindles, now to figure out the parts to go to rack & pinion. Any thoughts on going "stock 1965" parts or just getting one of the bolt-in/no welding setups?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Not sure year matters for the calipers. CSRP sells 'em new.

The two drawback to R&P (that I know of) are increased turning radius and headers that'll fit.

I do like R&P steering but a new or properly rebuilt steering box and '65 parts (along with a modern alignment) feels pretty dang good! :mrgreen: A roller idler arm and quicker ratio steering (with or without the Shelby Quick Steer pitman and idler arms) are IMO worthwhile upgrades.

What #'s are stamped on the inside of your spindles?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

IMO you should inform yourself before you jump into a rack,,
The 65 mustang V8 cars use the same steering as the 65 Comet with the exception of the centerlink
and Shelby made them work pretty damn good.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =13&t=2254
A rack will cost you more from a retailer, has mixed reviews, and a junkyard swap is more involved than you think.
This has lots a info on his install
http://tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23697
An option to hyd. power steering
http://tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32444

Most guys will tell you to go to 65 stuff right off the bat, and they will say that fro experience.
ME,, I'm still wondering down the rod with my stock 64 stuff

Others have done different stuff like inbox hyd ps like Poboyjo
It's a big thread maybe he can narrow it down for you
good luck on whatever you decide
Fred
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=4363
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

As others have said, those are Granada brakes. I installed them on my car, but with the 64 (manual) steering linkage it was scary to drive. Wandered all over. I changed to the 65 arrangement (still manual) and it is much better. At some point in the future I'd like to add Electric Power assist.

Lots of parts are available for the Granada brakes. A google search for 65 comet steering conversion will give you lots of reading to do.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP is with FRED,the 65 steering may be better...but I have been many miles with the stock 64 stuff under my old 64......and GLENDA'S 1956 ford has had granda disc brakes since back in the 90's,,,,and it's always been just fine and it still has 56 brks on the rear. thanks POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

redhotcomet wrote:As others have said, those are Granada brakes. I installed them on my car, but with the 64 (manual) steering linkage it was scary to drive. Wandered all over. I changed to the 65 arrangement (still manual) and it is much better. At some point in the future I'd like to add Electric Power assist.

Lots of parts are available for the Granada brakes. A google search for 65 comet steering conversion will give you lots of reading to do.
Dr comet it sounds like redhotcomet has been down the road your on & sounds like good advice. I have read that granada spindles/brakes dont do well together with 64 steering. & some have said granada spindles & 65 v8 steering is still not as good as having 65 v8 spindles, but some guys have said it does fine. CSRP even says it has a granada type spindle with improved geometry.

If your goal is a cruiser for the family safety should be number one over cost of the change. If your steering box is good you could keep it, get 65 V8 steering parts which all but the center link is same as 65-66 mustang parts & are the less expensive of any of the earlier comet year parts, so repairs in the future will always be cheaper as well as better than 64 stuff. If you car was originally a v8 car you will also need a pitman arm to fit the bigger shaft if you upgrade to 65 stuff.

I wanted a more sporty feel with less total turns of the steering box which is why I stepped up to a integrated ps box like later cars. If i would have went with the stock steering box I would have put on the electric PS which is inexpensive. the shelby quick steer kit also makes less total turns of the steering & can be used with either ps but not the stock factory ps.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Switching the centerlink, pitman arm and idler arm and the tie rods to a 65 would greatly improve the steering geometry. Though if that is using the granada spindles on the 64 is still not ideal as far as geometry but close to the 65. But adding a bump steer kit could correct that maybe.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Comechero65 wrote:Switching the centerlink, pitman arm and idler arm and the tie rods to a 65 would greatly improve the steering geometry. Though if that is using the granada spindles is still not ideal as far as geometry but close to the 65. But adding a bump steer kit could correct that maybe.
Ron
I was having trouble with bumpsteer with my inital alignment with the 65 steering and granada brakes, adding more caster improved it to the point where I don't notice it anymore. By adding caster you effectively lower the tie rod attachment point. I only added one shim on the front UCA bolt on each side, and adjusted the toe back... wouldn't have thought it would make a big difference, but for me it did.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

A couple more pics of the steering gear that's on it now. Does it look like the stock parts? No idea if prior owner changed any other bits out when he did the Grenada swap

Anyone have a handy link for the parts to convert to 1965 geometry?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yep, those shorty outer tie rods are a telltale sign!! There are a couple docs/ sites with info, but basically all the parts except the center link (which Falconparts.com sells) are '65-'66 'Stang parts. The exception is if you have a steering box with 1-1/8" sector. Then you need a power steering (important) pitman arm from a late '67-'70 ' Stang to hook to the center link. This all assumes manual V8 steering setup!

Did you ever check to see if your spindles had any markings??

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That last pic the inner tierod looks bent .It may suppose to be like that to clear the cyl & stuff. but it caught my eye,thought I'd mention it.
Johno