fuel filter

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
popscomet

Re: fuel filter

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:that cross over pipe was also used in cars as well as trucks, for single exhaust..no truck from that time ever came with factory duel exhaust :shock:
AND the dist was in the rear next to the firewall,,but unlike a v8 chevy that was straight up,on those Yblock fords the dist was on a slant,,about the same slant a mopar was on in the front......pop
pop/glenda

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

well had to have the carb rebuilt....shop lost part of the linkage so I had to make a one. now along with replacing battery cables and new battery she fires right up.anyone use or used petronix ignitor or ignitor II to replace points?
Last edited by captian_napalm on Wed May 31, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I've used the original Ignitor - worked fine!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

spoke too soon. after having my carb rebuilt, this past weekend was a nice day to take it out around town and the thing died one me puking out fuel from the carb. after letting it cool down I got it home.looked everything over. a few hours later took it out again, and it was puking out fuel again...so today I took the damn thing apart to see if I had brass floats I do.. found out they stripped a couple of threads, put the choke diaphragm link on where the pump operating link should be, and that's the one they lost.i got it all back together, and it runs like crap. afraid to take it out again and have it die on me.....

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

And then you can do this with the old one...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/479634878/ ... wAodkm0MVg

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Could just be the float isn't set right...but I know >< this much about those carbs.... Bruce's idea ain't looking' bad... :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

found out that when replacing the fuel lines, I put the needle in backwards.....oops....also found out because of todays gas I will not get the rpms down to where the book says....also found out the vacuum advance and points were bad. got my ignitor kit on its way.. hope it gets rid of the little bit of stumble when I give it gas. all is better

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

captian_napalm wrote:found out that when replacing the fuel lines, I put the needle in backwards.....oops....also found out because of todays gas I will not get the rpms down to where the book says....also found out the vacuum advance and points were bad. got my ignitor kit on its way.. hope it gets rid of the little bit of stumble when I give it gas. all is better

Got my ignitor kit installed, and what a difference, the only draw back was the instructions

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I just read back through this and saw the carb was a 1940 Holley, that is the one with the side mount float, correct? If its is, I never liked those (well I always wanted one with a glass float cover) I have a stack of them and was constantly adjusting the float level for the same reason, of course I had 3 of them on my Comet at once :roll: and overtime I had to adjust the float/s it dumped gas everywhere because of the side mount cover, they would freeze in the winter and vapor lock in the summer, finally I replaced them with Autolite 1100 carbs and never had anymore trouble.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

lavron wrote:I just read back through this and saw the carb was a 1940 Holley, that is the one with the side mount float, correct? If its is, I never liked those (well I always wanted one with a glass float cover) I have a stack of them and was constantly adjusting the float level for the same reason, of course I had 3 of them on my Comet at once :roll: and overtime I had to adjust the float/s it dumped gas everywhere because of the side mount cover, they would freeze in the winter and vapor lock in the summer, finally I replaced them with Autolite 1100 carbs and never had anymore trouble.

See Ya,
Mike
No its a top mount cover