65 Comet 5 lug upgr

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Bulldog

65 Comet 5 lug upgr

Post by Bulldog »

Found a 67 Mustang in a local boneyard that has the complete 5 lug C6oa spindles and 8" rear for $200 for it all. Best In can measure it all it should fit the 65 wagon. I'm sure someone here knows if it will fit before I jump and buy it. Remember, gonna be a daily driver for a teenage girl, not a performance beast. Any pros/cons?

Rocket989

Re: 65 Comet 5 lug upgr

Post by Rocket989 »

I don't know if the geometry changed from the C5xx spindles on the '65-'66 'Stangs. At least make sure the idler and pitman arms can hook-up to a '65 Comet/ Falcon centerlink. Early '67 'Stangs used the long, 1-pc input shaft steering boxes and switched mid-way to the rag-joint setup. Which do you have??

On the rear, how wide is it WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surfaces - meaning brakes on and all)? Comet stuff for that year was 58". Longer can be done with increased backspacing on rims.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Best we can measure rear is same as far as spring mounts, 1/2" wider overall. I'll have to look as far as box, but I think it was gone. These cars have been in this yard for 20+ years and are picked pretty clean. It really surprised me that all the suspension stuff is even still there.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Those spindles should work. If you look at this csrp listing ,the ones with the spindles,over on the right tells what all cars theirs will fit,to give you an idea of interchanging
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20 ... TALOG.html
1/2 inch wider rearend would only be 1/4 on each side so it should work too.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

From reading the mustang guys using 67 spindles in a 65 looks like you'll need 67 outer tie rod ends to adapt to 65.
Seems like the steering arm is longer on the 67 so you might have some steering issues (bump steer).
Dan at Chockostang says you can get the steering issues dialed out with a good alignment.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed