63 Comet pitman arm??

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Rarerat

63 Comet pitman arm??

Post by Rarerat »

Does anyone know if a 63 Falcon pitman arm is the same as the Comet? I found one for a Falcon on ebay & I'm sure hoping it will fit my 63 Comet because mine is junk. :(

Thank you in advance,
Nick
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162373917594?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Rarerat

Re: 63 Comet pitman arm??

Post by Rarerat »

At first glance they look similar but I know that doesn't really mean anything. lol....

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

More than likely it will fit. Most Falcon and Comet parts interchange since they are all Ford parts. I used a Falcon center link when converting to power steering on my '65 Comet. Chockostang is a great resource as well, http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

Thank you sir. I am temped to just try it and see. The only other I've seen was 180 bucks. :shock:

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

I pulled the pitman off a little earlier today and it has a 1 inch shaft not the 1 & 1/8 like the one shown in the ebay auction. The pivot just fell apart when I broke it loose from the drag link so it is junk. Does anyone have any idea where to find the correct pitman arm or know anyone who rebuilds these? I tried googling it and came up empty. :( every pitman arm I find says it's for the 1 & 1/8 shaft.

Help..

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I found this link, don't know if it'll actually help, but it says 1"

http://m.autozone.com/suspension-steeri ... ?location=

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

rjones35 wrote:I found this link, don't know if it'll actually help, but it says 1"

http://m.autozone.com/suspension-steeri ... ?location=
Thank you. :D I will head down there tomorrow and see what they say. The picture doesn't show the stud but maybe it's just a generic picture. Thank you again for your help.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The one in the picture on that link looks different, has 2 holes. This would be a perfect time to upgrade to 65 steering. I know it means a bigger money but it would make the car drive better & all but the centerlink is same as a mustang,so much cheaper & easier to get parts. If it were my car that's what I'd do. Everything under there is probably 50+ years old .
Johno

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

poboyjo65 wrote:The one in the picture on that link looks different, has 2 holes. This would be a perfect time to upgrade to 65 steering. I know it means a bigger money but it would make the car drive better & all but the centerlink is same as a mustang,so much cheaper & easier to get parts. If it were my car that's what I'd do. Everything under there is probably 50+ years old .
Pardon my ignorance, but what all are we talking about to do the swap? When you say 65 steering, are you talking about a 65 steering box also? I am not against doing the swap I just don't know what all is involved.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Is it a 63.5 V8 car?? Those would not have a 1-inch sector box unless it was changed. Your pitman arm has the ball stud for connection to the early V8 center link. I've never seen one of those with a 1-inch sector...measure your steering box sector shaft diameter with a caliper if you have one and with a rule from outer spline to outer spline if not and post back!

The '67-'70 manual steer 'Stang pitman arm should be right for 1-1/8 sector to 63.5-64 center link (e.g. same as original part). The '67-'70 power steer pitman can be used to attach the 1-1/8 box to the later '65 type steering.

The '65 swap is inner and outer tie rods, center link, idler and pitman arms, and spindles too... The C3xx & C5xx spindles are just different enough in geometry. If you do go that route, it's likely gonna be cheaper to buy new spindles from CSRP and use his Granada-type outer tie rods or get '67-'68 'Stang spindles and use those outer tie rods. Original C5xx spindles are getting spendy and hard to find IMO.

Edit - I guess part of the spindle choice is whether you wanna keep your current front brakes!!
Last edited by Rocket989 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Autokrafters does rebuild them https://www.autokrafters.com/Ford-Falco ... comet.aspx
Expensive and they need a good core.
The ad mentions that the Comet/Falcon arms interchange

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rarerat wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:The one in the picture on that link looks different, has 2 holes. This would be a perfect time to upgrade to 65 steering. I know it means a bigger money but it would make the car drive better & all but the centerlink is same as a mustang,so much cheaper & easier to get parts. If it were my car that's what I'd do. Everything under there is probably 50+ years old .
Pardon my ignorance, but what all are we talking about to do the swap? When you say 65 steering, are you talking about a 65 steering box also? I am not against doing the swap I just don't know what all is involved.
center link, all tierod ends,sleeves,spindles & idler arm & pitman.

& if you get 65 spindles it would set you up for the cheapest kit from csrp disc brakes, the 4 piston kelsey hayes type that mustangs had.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johno

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

Rocket989 wrote:Is it a 63.5 V8 car?? Those would not have a 1-inch sector box unless it was changed. Your pitman arm has the ball stud for connection to the early V8 center link. I've never seen one of those with a 1-inch sector...measure your steering box sector shaft diameter with a caliper if you have one and with a rule from outer spline to outer spline if not and post back!

The '67-'70 manual steer 'Stang pitman arm should be right for 1-1/8 sector to 63.5-64 center link (e.g. same as original part). The '67-'70 power steer pitman can be used to attach the 1-1/8 box to the later '65 type steering.

Thank you, yes it is a 63.5 V8 car. I did measure the shaft and it is for sure 1 inch. In looking for a pitman arm online I found a couple with the 1 & 1/8 shaft and in the description it said something like this will fit if the car was manufactured after 5/27/63. The build date on my car is 15B and if i'm understanding it right, the build date would be 2/15/63??

Sorry for all the dumb questions guys, I'm very new to Comets and even though I've owned the car for about 7 years this is the first time i have ever done anything more than move it around the yard. :oops:

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

Thank you guys for the info on the 65 swap.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

A 1-1/8" sector box will measure about 1.058 towards the bottom of the splinesd section (just above threaded part where nut goes on) before it starts to taper larger toward top. Is there a metal tag on the steering box (top)?? That would help. You can't see casting numbers or date code installed in car but the tag should have all the info needed.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)