Lower Crossmember for Comets

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
comethead

Lower Crossmember for Comets

Post by comethead »

Back in 69 Ford specified a modified lower crossmember for the Trans Am Boss 302 Mustangs.
The Mustang factory crossmember bolted to the lower surface of the front frame rails- tying them together.
In the "Boss 302 Chassis Modification" manual Ford suggested modifying the stock crossmember by attaching brackets to the lower control arm attaching points to rigidize the LCAs mounting and stabilizing the LCAs when cornering hard.

We all know Falcons and Comets didn't come from the factory with a lower engine crossmember.
I wanted the Boss 302 style crossmember for my 64 track Falcon so I contacted Tracy Blackford at Pacific Thunder Performance Engineering. He was more than willing to reconfigure his 65-66 Mustang Boss crossmember to fit the Comet and Falcon chassis. He asked for measurements of my Falcon and he was nice enough to come to my house with the prototype part to help me install it. It fit perfect! 8)
(Incidentally I contacted another crossmember manufacturer about possibly making one for the 63-65 Falcon Comet chassis and he told me to pack sand!) :roll:

Here it is https://www.pacificthunderperformance.c ... er-cm-1003

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Re: New Lower Crossmember for Comets

Post by comethead »

I also got a set of his heavy duty heim joint LCAs for my Falcon.
Thanks to Poboy Johnnie for sending me the link to the Pacific Thunder website! :D
I owe you a beer! Or do you owe me one less beer?

Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well dont know but if you owe me one, get him to put all the stuff for comet & falcon on one link,so when I put a link up for someone they see a pic for all stuff for all of comet/falcon parts, dont make people search, right now it is scattered & confusing to show someone all of his stuff that fits our cars. :wink: then we be even on beer. :P :P :wink: :mrgreen:
Johno

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

am I missing something ? all the falcon vendors carry these some are the boxed style some are the oem looking style which I have had on mine for years .

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

barrys65cyclone wrote:am I missing something ? all the falcon vendors carry these some are the boxed style some are the oem looking style which I have had on mine for years .
barry he has affordable adj LCA's & a DIY kit to make yours in to adjustable. so for 150 bucks ,50 more bucks than a vario centric kit you can find tune your LCA's easier & make them on the work bench vs welding under the car. Then Joe helped him measure & test fit for the belly bar which he can explain better than me,,, but it ties the frame together better I think.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Well dont know but if you owe me one, get him to put all the stuff for comet & falcon on one link,so when I put a link up for someone they see a pic for all stuff for all of comet/falcon parts, dont make people search, right now it is scattered & confusing to show someone all of his stuff that fits our cars. :wink: then we be even on beer. :P :P :wink: :mrgreen:
Hey John, there's a menu button where you can select 63-65 Comet and then it shows just the parts that fit our cars.
(Well it's like that on the mobile version. Not sure about the big ol 'puter version.)

Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe when I click on it I get 4 items, here is the link;
https://www.pacificthunderperformance.c ... lcon-comet
what do you see when you click on it?
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yeah that's what I see too. :wink:

BST'65

Re: Lower Crossmember for Comets

Post by BST'65 »

Joe,

Gunna resurrect this thread.

Did you end up buying LCAs from these guys?? I was thinking about buying them too however, I went to check out their site recently and they said they aren't selling any products for the time being!

While on the topic what other brands do you guys favorite? I'm ready to order all the suspension and steering parts from leafs to everything up front.

Ben

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Early on when I was working on the ranchero and it didn't have a belly bar so I got a used one for an early mustang. Welded two bolts to the front frame same as where they mounted on a mustang frame. The belly bar was going to get bolted on there. But in the following years got the one from Dearborn that was made,to bolt right on. Didn't use the mustang one and the two bolts I welded on I just left them there as they weren't in the way of anything. The Dearborn bars are square compared to original bars which were round. Would have been nice to find one of round ones as they look more correct but they were harder to find so just went with the Dearborn version. Has worked so far.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

BST'65 wrote:Joe,

Gunna resurrect this thread.

Did you end up buying LCAs from these guys?? I was thinking about buying them too however, I went to check out their site recently and they said they aren't selling any products for the time being!

While on the topic what other brands do you guys favorite? I'm ready to order all the suspension and steering parts from leafs to everything up front.

Ben
Hey Ben I did get the LCAs from him and the cross brace. Both look pretty nice.
I emailed him recently and he said he's a victim of his own success- he got too many orders for his one-man shop! But he said he plans on starting up again soon.

Joe

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Joe,

Yeah there stuff looked sweet and high quality. Plus I liked the idea they were local. Don't know if I can wait that long probably just order the moog stuff.

Ben