Merc-O-Matic Multi-Drive?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
HarryK

Merc-O-Matic Multi-Drive?

Post by HarryK »

In my caliente 64 there should be a Merc-O-Matic Multi-Drive. When i look at the oil pan it has 11 boltholes. It is 3speed. Does this mean that it is a C4? How can I identify if the original gearbox is still on my car?

Lip Ripper

Re: Merc-O-Matic Multi-Drive?

Post by Lip Ripper »

Look for a tag on the side.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

HarryK

Post by HarryK »

So this is my conclusion when having investigating a little bit further. In the drivers manual for 64 comet they state that there are 2 variants of automatic gearboxes availiable. One with 2 speeds forward (merc-o-matic) and one with 3 speeds forward(merc-o-matic multi drive). according to workshop manual the 2 speed is a fordomatic or mercomatic single range speed transmission.And the 3 speed is a C4 automatic dual range transmission. I have a 3 speed which should mean that it is the first year of the C4. Which is also verified by the 11 hole oil pan. I hope im correct because I will order oil, filter, oil pan gasket and modulator for the C4 used in falcons 64/65...

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

So, isn't that like the cruiseomatic where drive 1 or 3rd gear is 2nd and 3rd gear (takes off in second)? Drive 2 (second position) takes off in first and shifts through all 3 gears? Been a long time since I had one of those so I cannot recall.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

HarryK wrote:I hope im correct because I will order oil, filter, oil pan gasket and modulator for the C4 used in falcons 64/65...
Make sure and post back if it works so the next guy can learn from you.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Maybe this will help. The c4 had 11 bolts and pan almost square except for one little deviation in one corner.
The other trans the FM2 or 2 speed common on early falcons may be what you have. The c4 wasn't available in 64 on falcons but don't know what comet offered in 64.
fatid.jpg
fatid.jpg (141.26 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Ron

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

My 64 came with the Green dot valve body. If I remember right?? the green dot was 2nd for snow and ice traction.
A lot of those trans would be driven all the time in green and smoke the tranny. I put a 65 valve body in it
and made it a standard 1-2-3 shift C4. Can't remember the strange pattern from before.
NP Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Santa's Comet wrote:My 64 came with the Green dot valve body. If I remember right?? the green dot was 2nd for snow and ice traction.
A lot of those trans would be driven all the time in green and smoke the tranny. I put a 65 valve body in it
and made it a standard 1-2-3 shift C4. Can't remember the strange pattern from before.
NP Dave
If you had the Green Dot c4 then 1 or first pos out of neutral was 2nd gear. Green dit or second pos was the normal 1-2-3 drive setting.
Replacing the valve body with one from 67 (called Selectshift) gets rid of the Green Dot and gives the normal 1-2-3 sequnce in '1'. The Green dot is not bad just that many destroy the trans not realizing they are always starting in 2nd gear in the 1st pos. They also hate it because it is so doggish. Selecting the green dot pos and all is good.
I have a green dot c4 sitting in storage for the day my legs can't handle a clutch anymore and that will get installed.
Ron

HarryK

Post by HarryK »

Ok I have looked on some pictures and the green dot seems to have been used by ford. I have the same function in mine but it says D2 and D1 and where the D1 has the sam function as the green dot with shifting 1-2-3. D2 starts at 2nd and should acccording to drivers manual be used in icy conditions. It is kind of stupid ths you reach D2 possition first and if it as you say not good for the gearbox to allways drive in that position. Maybe that is the case with previous owners. I will try to change oil, filter and modulator first then if that doesn't work I need to find somebody that can restore the gearbox.