Shifter questions

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
pugs65

Shifter questions

Post by pugs65 »

Ok guys. I have came across a freshly rebuilt top loader. My question is this. Will the Hurst Competition shifter I have work on it or will I have to buy a brand new shifter and all of just an install kit? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Shifter questions

Post by A/FX »

You did not mention which model Hurst shifter you have. If it is for a T10 it will not work. The angle of the arms on the shifter body will only fit a T10, and the rods are different shape/ size. It must be a top loader with a forward mounted shifter to fit a Comet correctly.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

A/FX , sorry. All I know is it is a Hurst Competition of Competition Plus shifter. I'll have to dig thru the garage to figure out for sure which model it is.when you say forward mount what are you talking about? I know the top loader is a long shaft trans. I believe it is out of a 69 Cougar. I didn't think the arms would work. I'm thinking I'll have to buy an install kit. Was wondering if I would have to buy a new shifter as well. Also Hurst doesn't list anything for a 65 Cyclone or Comet as far as shifters or install kits.
302 roller
4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

The toploader for a Comet has a tailhousing that is 14" long and the mounting holes for the shifter are forward on the tail housing. There are different shifter mount positions on toploader transmissions Forward, middle and rear.

To have the shifter in the factory location you need the tailhousing from a Comet or Falcon which are kind of hard to find. David kee sells a multi-fit tailhousing that has all 3 locations on it. But it is 14" long. If you have a long tail shaft 17" long tail housing , This would not work. And you would have to shorten drive shaft, have a non stock shifter location and may have to modify trans mount for a long shaft.

IMO the long tail shaft would be the most difficult to fit into a Comet, and I would look for one with a short tailhousing.

The toploader I have for mine is out of a Mustang, 14" long, but with the shifter location at the rear. Which will move the shifter back in the car. I am ok with that. I am gong with bucket seats so the rear location will not be a problem like it would be with a bench. I am also using a V Gate shifter which has a short straight handle so the rear location will be better,,,,I hope :)

When looking at shifters look for ones for a toploader. The install kit,,,mount and rods will need to be specific for the tailhousing you have. For example if you have the correct tailhousing for the Comet you would need mount and rods for a Comet, if you have a tailhousing for a mustang you would need mount and rods for a mustang.

Here is a link to David Kees tailhousing identification page to help explain.
http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/tailhousingid.htm

There are different spline counts on the tail shaft the Comet toploader has 28 spline, as do other small block toploader, big block toploaders have 31 spline.

Lou

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Pugs long shaft Toploaders were only used in Galaxies, early Fairlanes and Tigers I believe.
65-70 Mustangs and Cougars used the short shaft trans. Verify your length.
You could swap main shafts if you had to. They’re about $150.
Like the others said you’ll need a Comet/Falcon specific forward mount shifter and install kit. I think I have a few pics of one on my Falcon project thread.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Thanks for the info Lou and Joe. Sounds like I'll be doing a housing swap. I don't think my T-10 will hold up to the motor I'm building.
302 roller
4 speed

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Ok guys. I have studied the long tail housing. The shifter will be in the same location. Not to expensive to get the drive shaft shortened. Trans mount is also in same location.
302 roller
4 speed

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Give Bill Heeley a call. He is a well known Ford shifter garu and will probably have all the parts you need. If he doesn't,he can tell you what you need so you're not shootin in the dark.
301 774 6710

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

vicegrip wrote:Give Bill Heeley a call. He is a well known Ford shifter garu and will probably have all the parts you need. If he doesn't,he can tell you what you need so you're not shootin in the dark.
301 774 6710
Thanks for the info Vicegrip.
302 roller
4 speed