Tie Rod End replacement for a 1964 Comet

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Maxine and Me

Tie Rod End replacement for a 1964 Comet

Post by Maxine and Me »

I need some help finding the right replacements for my 1964 Comet's tie rod ends.

I thought this wouldn't be so difficult, but I've run into a few complications:
1. My car doesn't have power-steering, but according to the guy who rebuilt the front-end for me, I seem to have power-steering tie rod ends. He says that, because when I ordered the parts from Speedway Motors, I had ordered non-power-steering tie rod ends, but the ones I ordered were smaller in every dimension than the ones that were supposed to be replaced.
2. Every auto parts shop and online store I've gone to so far have only given me options for a non-power-steering Comet with an inline 6. I have a 260 V8, and the current tie rod ends seem to be for a Comet WITH power-steering.
3. I've been told MOOG is the best brand to get, since they're made in the US and are higher quality for a lower price, but I couldn't find what I need on their site, or any other site. I don't know if I overlooked the right part, or if they just don't have what I need.

I pulled the tie rod ends off about a month ago, and I at least got the dimensions for them. The tapered portion has a 1/2" thread, and the portion that connects to the adjusters has either a 5/8" or a 3/4" thread. They're also about 5 and 3/4" in length. They each have a number just under the ball joint: 16 over 760. According to the guys at Napa, that may be a mold number, not a part number. I think they may all be the same style tie rod end, but flipped over.

Here are the 2 tie rod ends I pulled off my car:
And the part/mold number I found on each of them:

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Austin

poboyjo65

Re: Tie Rod End replacement for a 1964 Comet

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thats part of the reason people upgrade to 65 V8 steering with better geometry,it's getting hard to find the older stuff & easier to get parts for the 65,since it is the same as a 65 V8 mustang, cheaper & will be around for a long time. & the 64 stuff is LOT higher priced .Also disc kits are available for 65 spindles (which you would need if your converted to 65 steering, & possibly the idler arm& mount & pitman arm depending on what motor your car came with) or some disc kits come with those spindles.

Look at the differences in prices between the 65 V8 & 64 V8 prices on here;
https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... e+rod+ends
I not sure a 64 centerlink is even available.
So if a disc brake upgrade is in your future now is a good time to set up for it.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Those look like MS tie rods to me. The LH inner PS tie rod is curved to clear the PS control valve.
Over the years things get mixed up. I’d just get the right parts per the manual and move forward. As long as they fit your spindles you’ll be ok.
I know I always say this but check out the Rock Auto website https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... d+end,7428

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

You should consider converting to 1965 Comet style steering. The parts are readily available and the car will handle better.
I have attached a photo that shows the difference.
If you decide to just replace the existing tie rod ends they should be the same on each side. Actually there are only two part numbers the only difference being one has LH threads and the other RH threads. They are specific to V8 equipped cars, 6cyl. are different. TRW and Moog are both good, although some Moog Parts are made off shore.
The picture you posted shows the correct 1964 configuration.

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Groover

Post by Groover »

With regard to PS v8 cars at least, in 1964 they switched sizes of the tie rods mid year. June 10, 1964. The earlier tie rods were used on 63 and 64 and have a part number that starts C3. The later ones are C5.

The earlier ones are larger diameter and shorter in length. You can see this in action on the MAC's site if you look up the 64 PS, V8 tie rods there will be some that say "From 06-10-64" those are the later ones that are longer and skinnier. I'm not positive about the ones for manual steering, but the MAC's site would make me think they changed as well, since they list a Manual v8 tie rod with the same "From 6-10-64" part number C5 and another one that is part number C3.

Since you don't have PS, I would think you want the Manual 63/64 rods that are shorter and fatter but would not have the bend for the PS Control Valve.

I ordered mine from PST where I got the guy on the phone and walked through all of this.

https://p-s-t.com
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

poboyjo65 wrote:Thats part of the reason people upgrade to 65 V8 steering with better geometry,it's getting hard to find the older stuff & easier to get parts for the 65,since it is the same as a 65 V8 mustang, cheaper & will be around for a long time. & the 64 stuff is LOT higher priced .Also disc kits are available for 65 spindles (which you would need if your converted to 65 steering, & possibly the idler arm& mount & pitman arm depending on what motor your car came with) or some disc kits come with those spindles.

Look at the differences in prices between the 65 V8 & 64 V8 prices on here;
https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... e+rod+ends
I not sure a 64 centerlink is even available.
So if a disc brake upgrade is in your future now is a good time to set up for it.
A/FX wrote:You should consider converting to 1965 Comet style steering. The parts are readily available and the car will handle better.
I have attached a photo that shows the difference.
If you decide to just replace the existing tie rod ends they should be the same on each side. Actually there are only two part numbers the only difference being one has LH threads and the other RH threads. They are specific to V8 equipped cars, 6cyl. are different. TRW and Moog are both good, although some Moog Parts are made off shore.
The picture you posted shows the correct 1964 configuration.

I'll definitely consider that upgrade for later on down the road, as I do want to upgrade to disc brakes, but I don't have the money or time for that right now. My family and I will be taking a road trip from Oklahoma to California and back down Route 66 with our classic cars near the end of May. I just had the front end rebuilt a few months ago, and the only things I need to have a drivable Comet again are the tie rod ends and a wheel alignment. Funny thing is that I think all 4 of my original tie rod ends are exactly the same, just rotated 180 degrees. I wasn't sure about Moog; I'm just going off what I've been told. What brand is TRW? I haven't heard of them before.

Thanks for the advice!
comethead wrote:Those look like MS tie rods to me. The LH inner PS tie rod is curved to clear the PS control valve.
Over the years things get mixed up. I’d just get the right parts per the manual and move forward. As long as they fit your spindles you’ll be ok.
I know I always say this but check out the Rock Auto website https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... d+end,7428

Joe
Good to know. Are you referring to the shop manual? I tried looking up the tie rod ends in mine, but I couldn't find anything about replacing them in my book.

I've had a few other folks mention Rock Auto before. I've taken a look at the link, but I don't see any matching inner tie rod ends on their site. I'll definitely keep them in mind, though. Thanks Joe!
Groover wrote:With regard to PS v8 cars at least, in 1964 they switched sizes of the tie rods mid year. June 10, 1964. The earlier tie rods were used on 63 and 64 and have a part number that starts C3. The later ones are C5.

The earlier ones are larger diameter and shorter in length. You can see this in action on the MAC's site if you look up the 64 PS, V8 tie rods there will be some that say "From 06-10-64" those are the later ones that are longer and skinnier. I'm not positive about the ones for manual steering, but the MAC's site would make me think they changed as well, since they list a Manual v8 tie rod with the same "From 6-10-64" part number C5 and another one that is part number C3.

Since you don't have PS, I would think you want the Manual 63/64 rods that are shorter and fatter but would not have the bend for the PS Control Valve.

I ordered mine from PST where I got the guy on the phone and walked through all of this.

https://p-s-t.com
Huh. Didn't know that. Well, my Comet rolled off the assembly line in January 1964, according to the VIN number, so I would definitely be looking at C3 tie rod ends.

Since more than one person on here has mentioned the bend in the power-steering tie rod ends, it sounds like I actually have manual-steering tie rod ends.

I've also heard of PST from a few Mercury Cougar owners that I know. I did a quick search on their site, and it seems they may have the right ones for my car. I'll definitely give them a call. Thanks for all the info!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

‘64 V8 center links are not readily available because they do not contain wear Parts. If anyone needs one I have at least one in my Parts inventory.
As mentioned ‘64 tie rod ends are the same for either side the only difference are the threads, RH and LH.

TRW is one of the oldest parts suppliers in this country, they manufacturer engine and chassis parts.

Personally I would never buy anything from Rock Auto or any of the gypo parts stores like Auto Zone, I prefer to deal with a professional Parts person like you will find at NAPA or select CarQuest dealers. Rock Auto is just a name, they do not have a real location and are basically a clearing house for parts.
Quality parts are the only thing I consider for suspension, brakes, and engine building.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

A/FX wrote:‘64 V8 center links are not readily available because they do not contain wear Parts. If anyone needs one I have at least one in my Parts inventory.
As mentioned ‘64 tie rod ends are the same for either side the only difference are the threads, RH and LH.

TRW is one of the oldest parts suppliers in this country, they manufacturer engine and chassis parts.

Personally I would never buy anything from Rock Auto or any of the gypo parts stores like Auto Zone, I prefer to deal with a professional Parts person like you will find at NAPA or select CarQuest dealers. Rock Auto is just a name, they do not have a real location and are basically a clearing house for parts.
Quality parts are the only thing I consider for suspension, brakes, and engine building.
I don't think I need a center link right now, but I'll keep you in mind in case I do.

I tried looking up TRW earlier today, but I think their website is dead. I couldn't get it to work on any of my browsers, whether it was Chrome, Safari or Firefox. After a bit of research, I learned that TRW was bought out in 2015 by ZF Friedrichshafen, and that seems to be when they ceased operations. No luck on ZF Friedrichshafen's website, either.

Yeah, Autozone, O Reilly's and Advance Auto Parts weren't much help. Heck, the guys at Advance almost started removing the tie rod ends from the sleeve just to measure them! NAPA was helpful at least, but they didn't have the parts I needed. I ended up ordering my tie rod ends from PST. I should have them in about a week.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Maxine and Me wrote: I ended up ordering my tie rod ends from PST. I should have them in about a week.
I ordered my entire front end from PST. I have been very satisfied.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Not sure if was mentioned above, but 6 cylinder tie rod ends are smaller than the V8's. And the 65 upgrade is money well spent.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

redhotcomet wrote:Not sure if was mentioned above, but 6 cylinder tie rod ends are smaller than the V8's. And the 65 upgrade is money well spent.
I noticed that during my searches. I also noticed that 6 cylinder tie rod ends have a much different shape than the V8s, oddly enough. I'll definitely consider getting the '65 upgrade, but right now, I have neither the cash nor the time for it. I've got a family road trip coming up in May, so I've only got enough time (hopefully) to just fix the few things that are keeping my car off the road and in the garage. Once I've got more time and money handy, I'll definitely be looking at upgrades like that.

Thanks for the advice!

Austin

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maxine and Me wrote: Heck, the guys at Advance almost started removing the tie rod ends from the sleeve just to measure them!
I can see what you mean about that. that would really p!ss me off. Your wanting to keep those linkages as-is to copy when you install the new ones so it will be as close as possible to being set right. You gotta watch those guys. But for some of us,in lots of rural towns, oreillys & autozone are the only local choices,,, so you gotta learn to tolerate them for certain things. most are just kids trying to learn. it's the know it alls that are really irritating,usually a little older.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am glad we still have a local parts store that has paper books, you take something in and they will disappear into the back of the store and back out with the right part usually.

And then we have an O'Reilly's :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

I’m totally screwed here in CA! All we have are the big chain stores. Most the kids don’t know crapola. So I just go there if I have to. The NAPA out here is actually pretty good but I get blank stares there too :roll:
Today I went to a few looking for some fittings. When I asked about it I got the stares. :shock:
eBay to the rescue!!!!!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

So would the 65 Mustang v8 steering be the same upgrade as the 65 comet steering? There’s a local guy selling the setup and I’m considering grabbing it. Is it a direct bolt on to the 64 I6 spindles?
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.