Upgrade your steering ( 65 V8 steering)

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
poboyjo65

Re: Upgrade your steering ( 65 V8 steering)

Post by poboyjo65 »

Oh I thought it was that 3rd car that you're rebuilding.
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Johno, actually I checked my other project car because I'm sure it is still original. It had the 65 steering that is shown in the first picture of this thread with the tie rods going to 3" inboard on the center link.

loman

Post by loman »

I dug out some power steering parts from a car I got rid of a while back. Are the v8 power steering parts and the v8 manual steer parts the same except the drag link? If that is the case I can buy a new manual drag link and swap center links with the power steering setup and I'm done.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hard to say without seeing them,but they should be.but after seeing your other car,,, they could have been swapped out by now. Post up some pics. it will be good for this thread for future reference. but if they are 65 parts they should work,,, one of the tierod ends will have a big crook in it designed to clear the PS,but should still work right.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Looks like the same issue I had. My 65 Falcon was hit in the passenger front way back when, which is probably when the Frankenstein cobbling started from a 64 donor. My core support has a few 64 stampings and was patched, 6 cyl manual steering with 63-64 v8 spindles. I had to go find everything LOL!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

loman

Post by loman »

poboyjo65 wrote:Hard to say without seeing them,but they should be.but after seeing your other car,,, they could have been swapped out by now. Post up some pics. it will be good for this thread for future reference. but if they are 65 parts they should work,,, one of the tierod ends will have a big crook in it designed to clear the PS,but should still work right.
Johno,

Here are the pics.
65 Mustang V8 manual steering
65 Comet V8 power steering
65 Comet V8 manual steer (car I am currently working on)

After talking to John at Opentracker, I've ordered a 65 Comet manual steering drag link and I am going to use the mustang steering components. His thought and I agree with him is that I have 6cyl steering parts somehow connected to V8 spindles. I did some measuring and I'll list what I found in another post.

I reposted the picture and changed the label on the last one.

Johno, I originally labeled it that way with the question mark because I originally believed it to be that way until I started digging into my messed up steering situation.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1995.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1995.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
thumbnail_IMG_1999.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1999.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
Last edited by loman on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well I had to downloaded so I could zoom in to see it but you have the lower one labeled wrong, it is 6 cylinder stuff. the 65 comet manual v8 links will be just like the stangs but the centerlink is a different length.
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Here is some info about the parts in the pictures I posted.
Spindle part #, i wire wheeled the spindle but it was still hard to read the number
Mustang C6DA 3107B
Comet PS C(5or6)DA 3108B
Comet MS C5DA 3108B

I measured the hole where the tie rod connects to the spindle and all 3 spindles were the same. The small hole (top of taper) measured about.430 and the big side of the hole measured about .485 or so. That makes me assume that all 3 sets of spindles are in fact V8.

All 3 tapers measured the same on the tie rods even though the one on the Comet MS setup has a smaller stud than the other 2.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It probably is V8 links from 63-64. you cant tell about the spindle hole size in the pics . Reason I thought it was 6cyl parts is they were in a 65. 65 6cyl parts look just like 63-64 V8 parts. I just thought having a pic of 65 ps links would be good & you did a nice job of laying the other links in the pic for comparison.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Has anyone compared the tierod location between the 64 and 65 spindle?
I don't have a 65 to compare to.
These spindles are steel and I have already modified mine so wondering if I could cut the tierod mount off and put it where the 65 is?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fred look on pg 1 of this thread. some comparison pics on there. the earlier ones were just straight & 65's drop down.
there is a bump steer kit that drops it down,so the tierod linkage is about the same level as 65's. you might check into that.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I’m pretty sure the C3xx V8 spindles match up very closely with the C5xx V8 part. The tie rod hole is smaller (IIRC). I’ve got a pic somewhere that compares the two. A lot of folks say they’re different, some (like Denis @ CSRP) say they’re fine. I used new spindles but my old ones probably would have worked fine.

ETA - found pic:

'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I now own a pair of 65 spindles.
Only difference I can see 1) the 65 looks have a smaller hole to mount the tierod
2)the 65 tierod mount hole is about 1.125 inches lower than the 64 but on the same centerline.
Think I will further modify my 64 spindles to replicate the 65s.
Upon a PM discussion with Johno I will probably shorten the distance from the ball joint to the tierod to quicken the steering as well.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

FYI for those going original Autokrafters has a new quick ratio gearbox advertised part # c4dz3504A currently $499
Bit pricey but if you need it you need it

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

Excellant info..... you just answered a bunch of questions I had ! Thank you... :) ....Ron