First stage of rebuild-looking for advice

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
boone

First stage of rebuild-looking for advice

Post by boone »

Ok so I was driving my newly acquired 65 caliente today and went to hit the brakes and did not have any brakes at all-pretty exciting. So I got her back to the house and checked the brake fluid and of course it is empty but I do not see any leaks yet-but upon my inspection I found that one of my lower control arms is starting to crack. So I was going to rebuild the front suspension anyway but I guess I will do it sooner than later. My question is before I go and buy a bunch of parts- what would be the best and cheapest way to get disc brakes on the front of this car? I am not wanting to spend the money on a kit but I didn't know if there was another vehicle that I could rob spindles and such off of and get discs. just wanted to get some advice before I bought a bunch of parts to discover I have to return a bunch of them if I go through with the disc setup-any info or advice would be greatly appreciated-thanks

lavron
Site Admin

Re: First stage of rebuild-looking for advice

Post by lavron »

Granada or Maverick disk basically bolt on you just need the spindle and do some outer tie rod modification.

Others will give you more ideas I am sure.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

You did not mention your location. If you were close I could set you up with good used control arms, upper A arms, Granda/ Versailles disc’s, etc.
otherwise I would suggest you purchase quality parts like Moog and replace everything. I have said this before and it is worth saying again- Do not cut corners on steering or brakes! Buy the best parts available.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

boone

Post by boone »

I am located in southern Kentucky, And yes I had planned on putting decent parts on-by cheap I meant was there another vehicle that came out stock with disc brakes that could be swapped onto a comet without much trouble-I agree that steering and brakes are 2 things that you definitely don't want to cut corners on. I wonder how much shipping would be on that stuff from Wisconsin to Kentucky?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

boone wrote:I am located in southern Kentucky, And yes I had planned on putting decent parts on-by cheap I meant was there another vehicle that came out stock with disc brakes that could be swapped onto a comet without much trouble-I agree that steering and brakes are 2 things that you definitely don't want to cut corners on. I wonder how much shipping would be on that stuff from Wisconsin to Kentucky?
Shipping costs are insane. You would be better off buying local. The disc conversion is well worth the effort but there is no way to do it real cheap, by the time you change the master cyl., lines, pads, rotors, and tie rod ends the dollars ad up fast.
Finding a donor car with all the parts in usable condition is rare, but that would be an ideal situation for you. Granada/ Monarch, or Versailles will work, but the Versailles had hydro boost so you could not use the master or booster in your Comet.
It’s your call but you seem to have the right idea about the safety factor.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

‘65 steering and suspension are largely the same as the ‘65-‘66 ‘Stangs so you have a plethora of options including several that don’t require changing your spindles. CSRP has good, competitively priced options.

The center link is Falcon/Comet specific and if you’re running power brakes ABS makes the only booster I know of that’ll work with a dual master cylinder.

Outside of tubular options there’s sadly no current US manufactured upper control arms. The Moog K-series UCA is the same part as the Dorman but are $60 bucks more/ea. I’ve used them and they’re not bad IMHO.

Moog lower control arms are the best std. replacement option and still made here IIRC.

Some worthwhile upgrades to consider:
-Roller idler arm
-Rollee bearing (or at least greaseable) spring perche
-1” front sway bar
-Arning-Shelby UCA drop
-Export brace
-Under engine brace
-The longer Shelby-style idler/pitman arms to quicken the ratio a bit (especially if you have a 5-turn manual steer box)

There’s some good info on OpenTracker.com also.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

boone wrote:Ok so I was driving my newly acquired 65 caliente today and went to hit the brakes and did not have any brakes at all-pretty exciting. So I got her back to the house and checked the brake fluid and of course it is empty but I do not see any leaks yet-but upon my inspection I found that one of my lower control arms is starting to crack. So I was going to rebuild the front suspension anyway but I guess I will do it sooner than later. My question is before I go and buy a bunch of parts- what would be the best and cheapest way to get disc brakes on the front of this car? I am not wanting to spend the money on a kit but I didn't know if there was another vehicle that I could rob spindles and such off of and get discs. just wanted to get some advice before I bought a bunch of parts to discover I have to return a bunch of them if I go through with the disc setup-any info or advice would be greatly appreciated-thanks
Is your Caliente a V8 car with 5 bolt wheels or a 6cyl with 4 lug wheels?

Lou

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Good question Lou!! I just ASSumed V8 car!! :lol: :lol:

boone

Post by boone »

Lou's Comet wrote:
boone wrote:Ok so I was driving my newly acquired 65 caliente today and went to hit the brakes and did not have any brakes at all-pretty exciting. So I got her back to the house and checked the brake fluid and of course it is empty but I do not see any leaks yet-but upon my inspection I found that one of my lower control arms is starting to crack. So I was going to rebuild the front suspension anyway but I guess I will do it sooner than later. My question is before I go and buy a bunch of parts- what would be the best and cheapest way to get disc brakes on the front of this car? I am not wanting to spend the money on a kit but I didn't know if there was another vehicle that I could rob spindles and such off of and get discs. just wanted to get some advice before I bought a bunch of parts to discover I have to return a bunch of them if I go through with the disc setup-any info or advice would be greatly appreciated-thanks
Is your Caliente a V8 car with 5 bolt wheels or a 6cyl with 4 lug wheels?

Lou

Hey lou and sorry I forgot to differentiate lol mine is a v8 5 lug car. And thanks everyone for all the pointers and help- I appreciate it greatly-now the hunt for some parts :D

boone

Post by boone »

Think I may have found a decent kit, looking for pros-cons and if any of you guys have had any experience with it-summit racing has a wildwood front disc kit with 4-piston calipers and they say you can reuse your drum brake spindles-kit is priced at $574.99 kit number 140-13476. I didn't think it was too awful priced and I like the fact that you can reuse your drum spindles-although the kit comes with everything out at the wheels it does not come with master cylinder or prop valve or anything-if converting to front disc is a dual chamber master cylinder an absolute must? or can you install maybe an adjustable proportional valve to split the front/rear?

boone

Post by boone »

Rocket989 wrote:‘65 steering and suspension are largely the same as the ‘65-‘66 ‘Stangs so you have a plethora of options including several that don’t require changing your spindles. CSRP has good, competitively priced options.

The center link is Falcon/Comet specific and if you’re running power brakes ABS makes the only booster I know of that’ll work with a dual master cylinder.

Outside of tubular options there’s sadly no current US manufactured upper control arms. The Moog K-series UCA is the same part as the Dorman but are $60 bucks more/ea. I’ve used them and they’re not bad IMHO.

Moog lower control arms are the best std. replacement option and still made here IIRC.

Some worthwhile upgrades to consider:
-Roller idler arm
-Rollee bearing (or at least greaseable) spring perche
-1” front sway bar
-Arning-Shelby UCA drop
-Export brace
-Under engine brace
-The longer Shelby-style idler/pitman arms to quicken the ratio a bit (especially if you have a 5-turn manual steer box)

There’s some good info on OpenTracker.com also.
Is there a specific website you go to get these parts or is it an ebay kinda thing?- and may sound like a stupid question but what exactly is the function/purpose of the upper control arm drop?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Rockauto.com has a lot of the stuff. Falconparts.com has the center link. OpenTracker.com for roller idler/perches. Branda Mustang for the Shelby quick steer parts. Discbrakeswap.com for CSRP. If your steering box needs to be rebuilt, Chockostang sells kits or he’ll do it (recommended unless you REALLY want to...).

The UCA drop improves the suspension geometry a LOT. Dazecars.com sells a template/kit.

The drop, modern spec alignment, export brace, and a 1” sway bar do the most improvement for the $$ on these cars IMO.

boone

Post by boone »

Rocket989 wrote:Rockauto.com has a lot of the stuff. Falconparts.com has the center link. OpenTracker.com for roller idler/perches. Branda Mustang for the Shelby quick steer parts. Discbrakeswap.com for CSRP. If your steering box needs to be rebuilt, Chockostang sells kits or he’ll do it (recommended unless you REALLY want to...).

The UCA drop improves the suspension geometry a LOT. Dazecars.com sells a template/kit.

The drop, modern spec alignment, export brace, and a 1” sway bar do the most improvement for the $$ on these cars IMO.

Thanks a lot -the info you gave me is basically has everything I am looking for-but one last question-Rear leaf springs? all the springs on this car are pretty worn and the car sets really low-I will end up replacing all the springs and do not want it lowered-if anything I would like it up a little bit higher and have found some front springs that sound like what I am looking for but I have been looking for some rear leafs and have not had a lot of luck-I found some on jegs that said they were for a mustang but they said they wont work-will the springs from a 66 comet work? or maybe a 62,63, 64? im sure somebody knows a really good place to get some at a reasonable price-found some calvert mono leafs but a little too pricey for me-thanks

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Happy to help man!! :lol: Nope, ‘Stang and most Falcon leaf springs are different. Here are part numbers that’ll work:

OEM Comet Replacement Leafs
Industry Part# 66-237
Capacity: 710
Rate: 72
Arch: 10-3/4

Falcon Wagon/ Ranchero Leafs
Industry Part# 42-319
Capacity: 880
Rate: 120
Arch: 7-5/8"

I used the latter but FYI...notice the arch difference. They do sit lower then the OEM replacement listed first. Not a ton but noticeable.