Upper control arm shaft bushing nuts

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
loman

Upper control arm shaft bushing nuts

Post by loman »

Can someone provide the amount of torque that the control arm nuts are supposed to be. Before I reassemble front end I thought I would double check it. I looked in manual but I didn't see it. It's probably there and but I just don't see it. Thanks.

poboyjo65

Re: Upper control arm shaft bushing nuts

Post by poboyjo65 »

did you read where it says to put a 7 7/16'' long spacer in between the flanges when you torque it? on pg 3-15 on the manual. specs are on pg 3-46

also you can move the arms back on the shafts .1'' for better caster .
http://dazecars.com/dazed/UCA.html
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Thanks Johno. And yes I did see that about the spacer.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

45-ft. lbs. on the bushings. I drilled a hole and ran a machine screw with locknut on the top side of the UCA (both sides) to help prevent the bushings from turning. They can be tacked too but big diff in metal & I didn’t want to chance melting the rubber seals.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:45-ft. lbs. on the bushings. I drilled a hole and ran a machine screw with locknut on the top side of the UCA (both sides) to help prevent the bushings from turning. They can be tacked too but big diff in metal & I didn’t want to chance melting the rubber seals.
45? :? I thought I read 17-25????? :?
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

It’s not easy to find an actual number...I think the torque with pipe length inserted and/or just torque to spec are all I’ve ever seen in manuals. Given the possible differences in construction/metallurgy I figured there had to be a number...somewhere... :D

I went and looked - have 35-45ft. lbs. written down...don’t remember where I found that but it was reputable enough for me follow. I’ll see if I can find source.

IIRC the shafts where snug but could be turned with determined hand effort. Before I took apart to move back the 1/10th” torque was ALL over the place....one musta been 100ft. lbs... :shock: :lol:

loman

Post by loman »

Disassembled control arm and cleaned it up. Upon reassembly I noticed the threads on the control arm where the bushing threads into are stripped. This might be a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway. If the control arm shaft is installed and centered, what is wrong with tack welding the big nut in place even though the threads are stripped and calling it good. I was planning on tacking the nuts before I discovered this issue anyway.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Not uncommon man... if they’re welded good enough I don’t think it makes much difference. If you do want to roll new shafts the Dorman UCA’s are dirt cheap & actually good stuff. Use all or part (shafts).

loman

Post by loman »

The shafts and nuts are fine. I was talking to my dad and we believe we replaced them in late 90's or early 2000's. It's just the control arm that is a little wore out .