Spare Tire

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Spare Tire

Post by lavron »

Can I use a trailer wheel for a spare? I have the new wheel and one new tire that is just a size larger than my front tires (same brand as what I put on the car), I thought it would be a good in-between size front and back.

Of course I don't have to use the trailer wheel, I just have it already and would have to source a 15" wheel because the Jeep wheels are really wide with an odd offset. I could steal the spare out the Jeep, I don't remember if it is a temporary spare which I guess would work ok as well.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: Spare Tire

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: That's what I call planning ahead!! :lol: :lol: now get back to work!! :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I see no reason you couldn't use the trailer wheel, assuming it's a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. It probably doesn't have much of an offset, but is probably only 5" or 5.5" wide, so the tire will probably have a fairly narrow profile, so it shouldn't rub. Give it shot and see.
Jim

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

As im sure you know most trailer tires do not have as high of rating for speed as a standard passenger vehicle tire would, and depending on the style may not have as heavy a load rating so just be sure if you bought a premounted system that it will work on your car without having to worry about the weight and or speed of your vehicle
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

It explicitly says not to on the tires.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

First, yes, they'll fit, which is a plus. On the other hand, I'd check the rating. My car hauler and boat both run the same bolt pattern and wheel, so when I put new tires on everything, I went with the 8 ply, and I carry a spare of the same size. All 3 axles are 3500#, which is way more than one of our cars. Both the car hauler and boat pull at 75 no issues, with weight, so for a temp "you get me home" fix I would think it's ok.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:It explicitly says not to on the tires.
The tire is a car tire, it is just like what I have mounted on the Comet wheels but is a size larger than the front tires.
bigdan wrote:so for a temp "you get me home" fix I would think it's ok.
Yes not a permanent wheel and tire combo, I may come up with a wheel before the time comes, I will just need to make sure it will fit over the disc brakes and have the correct offset, of course I already know the trailer wheel will fit on the back :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

My Falcon trunk is so small that I think I'm just going to carry a small 12v compressor, tire plugs and a can of Slime.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:My Falcon trunk is so small that I think I'm just going to carry a small 12v compressor, tire plugs and a can of Slime.
Well I will already have onboard air, I guess I am thinking about a destroyed tire scenario :roll:

John is probably right, I am way ahead of myself :? wishful thinking I guess.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread