RestoMod

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
rhtopdown

RestoMod

Post by rhtopdown »

I am wanting to put the best suspension I can under a 64 comet. Could anyone list what I need so I can check out prices. Am not a mechanic so will have to hire it all done and not sure what all I would need. Will be putting small block/auto/ ac/disc brakes front and power stirring. Someone please help me with this list. I see some post but not knowing what each part does not sure if full list or not. Thanks in advance for any help with this. I want to modernize it as much as possible. Also i understand that some mustang parts are interchangeable. What would be the best donor car.Again thanks.

Lou's Comet

Re: RestoMod

Post by Lou's Comet »

rhtopdown wrote:I am wanting to put the best suspension I can under a 64 comet. Could anyone list what I need so I can check out prices. Am not a mechanic so will have to hire it all done and not sure what all I would need. Will be putting small block/auto/ ac/disc brakes front and power stirring. Someone please help me with this list. I see some post but not knowing what each part does not sure if full list or not. Thanks in advance for any help with this. I want to modernize it as much as possible. Also i understand that some mustang parts are interchangeable. What would be the best donor car.Again thanks.
The "Best" suspension is subjective to who you ask. Ask five different people and you could very likely get five different answers. What you want is the best suspension for You. To help determine what would be best for you, ya need to determine how your going to use the car and what you want from the car. Going to be a cruiser? Weekend drag car? Auto cross or track car?

Seen people buy a lot of expensive/high end parts and throw them on a car with so-so results. Spending a ton of money and major fabrication is not always the best way to go at it.

For my Comet For the most part it will be a local cruiser with a couple trips a year to the drag strip.

Parts availability is also something to think about. Seen people use aftermarket stuff to find out later the company is no longer around or doesn't have replacement parts available. Using factory/off the shelf parts will come in handy later when you need to replace something. Hence the Mustang stuff.

A quick list of where I am heading with mine.

65 V8 spindles.
65 Mustang steering/ suspension kit ( tie rods, control arms, etc)
65 Manual Comet/Falcon center link
I will be using my factory steering box which was power but with the center link will now be manual. Since you want power steering I would go with the borgeson power steering box and pump like John did. Which is something I can do at a later date without too much work. http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=121
New springs front and back. Will call spring manufacture for guidance with spring rates etc when it comes time.
New shocks front and rear from what I read I will prob go with KYB.
Good tires. Tires make a big difference.

That would be the basics for me.
From there you tweak it. Adjustable upper control arms would be a plus! Roller spring perches, depending on my traction prob a set of caltracs. For me a good solid suspension with parts that are available is th best place to start.

Lou

Rocket989

Re: RestoMod

Post by Rocket989 »

Lou's list is a lot like what I did w/ mine. I used those parts with Shelby quick steer idler/pitman arms and Drake midolene greaseable perches, 1-inch front sway bar. Also used the stiffer of the two OEM front springs and the Falcon wagon/Ranchero leafs that are a notable higher rate than stock Comet springs. An export brace, MC bar, and under engine brace. Koni STR.T shocks, and W-rated Firestone Indy 500 summer-only rubber.

Doesn't do too bad! If I had it to do over again, I'd go Borgeson PS setup, full roller perches, and the Bilstein street shocks.

ETA - Cal-trac's are awesome with or without their mono-leaf springs!! :D :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)