Disc Brake Conversion a 1963 - Quite a few Questions

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
djheavye

Disc Brake Conversion a 1963 - Quite a few Questions

Post by djheavye »

Hey Folks,

Newbie to the forum here with a 1963 2 door looking to make it safer for my kids to ride in.

I was looking to do a disc brake conversion either all around or just in the front.

From what I've been able to find, it seems like I should consider moving to 15s versus 14s in this process (more affordable/common tires, wheels, etc).

Here are my questions:

1. If I just convert the front brakes to discs (and keep 14s) what would be the best (price or quality) kit to go with?
2. If I do the above - and later wanted to convert to 15s all around - would the kit I would have purchased be wasted? (meaning what new parts would be needed to keep those discs and convert to 15s up front?)
3. If I convert all around and go to 15s, it appears I'd also need to get a new axles - is that true?
4. If I do get new axles, what other cars could I be on the look out for that would fit on my 63?

Thanks for reading - would love any advice / information you have!
-Ben

SASSY

Re: Disc Brake Conversion a 1963 - Quite a few Questions

Post by SASSY »

First off WELCOME!
do you have 4 or 5 bolt wheels?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

djheavye

Post by djheavye »

Thanks - great to be here! I have 4 bolt wheels

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I believe there are options for the 4 bolt hub. I have no experience with it but I think a company called scarbird or something like that makes one.
Search early Mustang 6 cylinder brake swaps, probably the same stuff.
Steering upgrade may also be on your list and that would change everything.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

personally I would steer towards switching everything over to 5 bolt wheels and 15" or larger rims, one day 14" tires are going to be nonexistent (almost that way now) of course 15" may not be far behind but still fairly common.

For a rear, if I was changing it over, I would look for a 8" from a Maverick, should pretty much bolt in (one did in my '64 anyway) you can also use the spindles and disc brake set-up off a Maverick but I am not sure what all needs to change on a '63. And if it possible the '65 steering conversion works well on '64, someone here can confirm if it works on a '63 as well.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Ben! As to your questions, I can't add any more than what Fred and Mike have already said. Good luck, and post some pics of your ride so we can see what you're working on. 8)
Jim

djheavye

Post by djheavye »

Here is a picture of the car Jim!

You can see how excited my son is :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Wow! She's a looker! 8) Let your son "help" you all you can when you work on the car. I can remember being not much older than him, and my dad would work on one of our cars. I would rub my fingers in the exhaust pipe, then rub the soot all over my hands to prove that I was working on the car, too, just like dad. :D
Jim

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

First off you have a nice looking 2 door hardtop! I like the color! The biggest limitation with the 6cyl cars are the narrow (4.5IN) 4 lug wheels. Most of the disc conversion kits you will find require a minimum 5IN wheel width. The 4.5IN wheels are just too narrow for the caliper to clear the wheel without running into any clearance issues.

You could try locating later model 6cyl wheels from '68 and up since by then those were designed with discs in mind. The problem is finding good wheels in good condition!

I have a '65 6cyl Caliente convertible that I would like to do the same thing on but the wheels are just too narrow. As long as you keep the front drums properly adjusted and maintained you should not have any problems with stopping straight. Keep an eye on the rear brake hose too. If you have a rock hard pedal a failing rear brake hose or even front hoses could be suspect. I replaced my failing rear hose and replaced the front shoes and I now stop a lot better and have normal pedal travel. The rear hose had failed enough to where it was not releasing the rear shoes after braking!

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I would rub my fingers in the exhaust pipe, then rub the soot all over my hands to prove that I was working on the car, too, just like dad. :D
Jim[/quote]
DANG----JIM ,even back then you were trickin people into thinkin you was working :shock: :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

BJB

Post by BJB »

MattDoscher wrote:First off you have a nice looking 2 door hardtop! I like the color! The biggest limitation with the 6cyl cars are the narrow (4.5IN) 4 lug wheels. Most of the disc conversion kits you will find require a minimum 5IN wheel width. The 4.5IN wheels are just too narrow for the caliper to clear the wheel without running into any clearance issues.

You could try locating later model 6cyl wheels from '68 and up since by then those were designed with discs in mind. The problem is finding good wheels in good condition!

I have a '65 6cyl Caliente convertible that I would like to do the same thing on but the wheels are just too narrow. As long as you keep the front drums properly adjusted and maintained you should not have any problems with stopping straight. Keep an eye on the rear brake hose too. If you have a rock hard pedal a failing rear brake hose or even front hoses could be suspect. I replaced my failing rear hose and replaced the front shoes and I now stop a lot better and have normal pedal travel. The rear hose had failed enough to where it was not releasing the rear shoes after braking!

Matt

Matt, agree. Ford Australia released the '65 Falcon with optional front disc brakes. Rim size was 14" x 5" in order to clear the calipers .Rotors were 10.75" , and those normal 13" rims wouldn't work with it. The 14" 4 stud rims are now rare as rocking horse poop, and even imported 4 stud 14" Mustang rims won't fit as they can't clear the calipers. The 5 stud 14" x 5" Mustang rims don't foul the brakes and I have them on my car so obviously they were designed around disc brakes.. ( it was easy to change from 4 to 5 stud on my car)

I've played around with '86 Falcon rear discs and they bolt up to the diff with little effort, but it does require 15" rims due to the large rotors.

Lots of fun .

Ben thats one nice Comet. I can see where Ford OZ got the styling from.
https://imgur.com/Yn2enFn
Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

djheavye

Post by djheavye »

Thanks guys! Love the story Jim :lol:

So based on your feedback I'm considering just taking the back drum and front disc setup out of this:

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/6661777501.html

That should work no problem right?

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yes take everything. Rear end and brakes. Front brakes, spindles and steering linkage (including the gearbox).
Make sure you grab the brake pedal too

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed