HEH-E...... will it fit a 1964 comet cyclone

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
COMETBOSS

HEH-E...... will it fit a 1964 comet cyclone

Post by COMETBOSS »

Will a 4 speed heh-e toploader fit a 64 comet.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: HEH-E...... will it fit a 1964 comet cyclone

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

It should be close. I am not sure on length, but that is a close ratio tranny. My guess is it will work, but you might have to move your tunnel hump a bit. Is your T10 gone or damaged? Those early small pattern top loaders are not as strong as the later ones, but they are nice trannys.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

COMETBOSS

Post by COMETBOSS »

No it.is in good shape just picked up this one and found out it is a high performance

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

COMETBOSS wrote:No it.is in good shape just picked up this one and found out it is a high performance
Cool, nice to have an extra tranny laying around just in case. 8)
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

comethead

Post by comethead »

According to the David Kee website thats a 28 spline 25 1/2" '64 Meteor, Fairlane, Sunbeam Tiger close ratio trans. So its just as strong as any 28 spline toploader.
Since its longer than the Falcon/Comet/Mustang toploader which is 24" you might have issues with the fitment of the factory Comet shifter or Hurst shifter made for the Comet. You would need the correct (front shifter location) tail housing. And that tail housing is made for the 24" main shaft. BTW it looks like the 25 1/2" mainshaft isnt reproduced by Kee.
Also, you might find that the factory Comet trans mount wont line up with that trans. Even the "C4 conversion" aftermarket mount might need to be massaged to fit.
Also, Im not sure if that extra 1 1/2" would mess up the drive shaft fit.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

COMETBOSS

Post by COMETBOSS »

Interesting.. info... I will prob not use it then..

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

You would not be too happy with a close ratio 4-speed behind a small engine.You need/want,torque multiplication to get your car moving,a 2.32 first gear would need a lower rear gear,probably at least 3.70s,then you would be reving the snot out of you engine on the hiway.The T-10 you have now is a great transmission,geared for your car and engine combo.Unless you plan on HUGE horsepower it will live a long time.This comes from years of using a T-10,I have one in my 65 wagon behind a 302 now. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

COMETBOSS wrote:Will a 4 speed heh-e toploader fit a 64 comet.
toploader install from different perspective. I am running a heh-cl (66 fairlane gt wide ratio) in my comet. I do have a fe big block with a lakewood and 9". On mine I had to take out the trans mount and upper horseshoe for it all to fit. the stock 4 speed hump will not work or, at least on mine. I make a trans mount out of 1x3 rect tubing. I have a 57 wagon 9" that was a bolt in. now for the good stuff, the stock driveshaft was the correct length even after I moved the rear back 1 1/2". with regards to the drive shaft it's only temporary since the chunk and the front yoke are 1310 u-joints. soon as I get an new chunk built with all the good stuff it will have 1350 u-joints and erase the problem of laying parts out in the road. so I have been gentle so far with the driving.

here's a pict of the mount I fabbed. works fine, easy to remove for trans change or clutch.

on the shifter location, using a fairlane/late comet shifter. works fine in relationship to the stock bench.

so, my setup works for me, might not for you, but you never know. lots more pict in my album linked below.

alan
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

COMETBOSS

Post by COMETBOSS »

Wow those are some cool pics.... It must be hard to figure and prioritize it all....

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Cometboss, if your holding onto that toploader as a spare you might consider selling it. If its in good shape Id think a Fairlane or Tiger owner would snap that thing up. Not sure what you paid. But a good coat of "Cast Blast", new gaskets and bearing retainer and youd be surprised what those old transmissions can get.
Then you could get the right toploader for your car.
Of course you would have to market its "rarity" and "high performance" nature. If it came out of a Fairlane it could very well have been bolted to a 289 Hipo engine. I believe the only trans Ford used in the Fairlane Hipo was a close ratio toploader 4 speed.
Does your trans have a stamping that could possibly be a VIN number?
Post some pics of that beast would'ya?

Anyhow, Just an idea.

Joe

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Yeah.. If I had bought a Sunbeam Alpine and wanted to enjoy the car I would be looking hard for that trans...I already have a spare 260... Lol
'63 Comet Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

RCMike wrote:Yeah.. If I had bought a Sunbeam Alpine and wanted to enjoy the car I would be looking hard for that trans...I already have a spare 260... Lol
You could "enjoy" an Alpine with the original 4 cylinder, it is a blast with a V8! AKA a Tiger. 8)
Larry

COMETBOSS

Post by COMETBOSS »

Did all sunbeams thru 1967 use the same tranny. Heh-e? What about 6 bolt?

comethead

Post by comethead »

COMETBOSS wrote:Did all sunbeams thru 1967 use the same tranny. Heh-e? What about 6 bolt?
From what Ive read on the Tigers the only significant changes came in the sheetmetal, and the changeover from 260 to 289. That being the case, it would seem that the right toploader would fit all Tigers 64-67. I imagine that when Ford changed to the 6 bolt configuration 289 the bellhousing and trans used in the Tiger changed also. That would mean a wide case toploader and probably a change in the tag code.
But that doesnt mean a narrow case toploader cant be bolted to a 6 bolt engine. Just needs some creative engineering.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Heres the shifter for that trans:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNBEAM-TIGER-S ... 3363053d82

I think the seller is on some good crack...price seems steep.

Joe