SPEEDOMETER DRIVE GEAR

If you need something, post it here
thos25

SPEEDOMETER DRIVE GEAR

Post by thos25 »

I'm looking for a speedometer drive gear for a 25 spline Borg-Warner T-10. If you have one or know where I can locate one could you please either PM me at thos25 or simply reply here? Thanks for your help!
TOM :)

poboyjo65

Re: SPEEDOMETER DRIVE GEAR

Post by poboyjo65 »

Tom I remember this being discussed, so this would be a larger diameter gear that's on the cable? or in trans?
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Tom give these folks a call it looks like they have the drive gears http://www.kajunjon.com/Borg_Warner_Par ... rts%20List
Item #53, part number T10W-169.
If thats not it maybe they can lead you in the right direction.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Something I should point out, that gear #53 has to be for a ford with the speedo port on the pass side. There are other T-10's that have the port on the drivers side. I have one of those gears for a drivers side which doesn't work on our style T-10's. That was what was in my t-10 so I had to find a gear for the pass side. Never did find the right one though was able to do a mod to make the one i put in work.
Ron

thos25

Post by thos25 »

WOW! You guys came thru with flying colors- as usual. I know that the drive gear must have a smaller inside diameter than the generic plastic gears one sees in the catalogs. My tranny is a 25 spline so that may be a factor also. I think that the driven gear must also have a larger outside diameter than the after markets that one sees in the cats. I have been told that 63-65 FAIRLANES, GALAXYS and COMETS used a larger driven gear. The standard is I think .773 across the gear teeth. I have a black 7 tooth drive gear that I bought at MACS but there is no way to use it since the ID of the gear is a good 1/4 larger than the main shaft.The standard length of the driven gears is 1.459. So either the drive gear has to be larger in diameter or the driven gear does. You guys are exactly right in that we have discussed this before. I'm sorry to keep bringing it up but someone somewhere must have run into this also. It is Sunday night and first thing tomorrow I will contact that web site you provided and let you know if you like!! Again, Thanks loads for you help and I am going to keep after this until I crack it! With your help I will!
Kind Regards to All, TOM :D

comethead

Post by comethead »

Tom Im not very familiar with the T10 but Ive been searching around the net for the speedo gear.
The problem of no parts available seems to come up often. Some folks fix that by having a bushing or sleeve made to adapt the T10 shaft for the Toploader speedo drive gear.
I googled "T10 speedometer bushing" and found this site https://www.midwesttrans.com/T10_4%20Sp ... ssion.html
If you go down to the "T10 Miscellaneous" section there is a part called "Speedo Sleeve (Ford)", part number TRST10-168.
Maybe thats the adapter sleeve to use the common drive gears. Its worth a shot.
Regardless of what you find let us know. Good luck.

Joe

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

To my knowledge i think the T-10's used the same size driven gear as any other toploader. Super T-10's may be different. I know rhe drive gear was different so no compatibility with a ford topoader gear. Though mine had a driven gear meant for the opposite side of the tailhousing, using a standard driven gear that fit, it would have worked but unfortunately the internal gear drove the speedo backwards.
I could never find an internal gear for that side of the right size so used a different gear and with a simple mod it then works with a standard driven gear meant for that side.
The hard part is finding internal parts for a T-10. Also hard to find someone who knows anything about T-10's. Seems they are all long gone. People I mean.
If the drive gear for a toploader has a larger shaft od then it might be possible to shim the ford gear to fit. I never tried that.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

One more thing I found:
This Mustang vendor sells a speedo gear adapter kit for T10 http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161840316382
Hope this helps.

Joe

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

comethead wrote:One more thing I found:
This Mustang vendor sells a speedo gear adapter kit for T10 http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161840316382
Hope this helps.

Joe
Good find. That should make the install easier. That gear looks like the standard 7 tooth black gear sold by most mustange venders. NPD sells it part number #17285-1. Would be simple to make your own spacer ring.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:One more thing I found:
Hope this helps.

Joe

COMETHEAD to the rescue !!! wAY TO GO jOE! :D
Johno