64 instrument bezel

If you need something, post it here
qmile92

64 instrument bezel

Post by qmile92 »

Looking for a 1964 instrument bezel. Condition of chrome is unimportant to me as long as it's not broken, chipped, or cracked. Thanks to all!

Jims65cyclone

Re: 64 instrument bezel

Post by Jims65cyclone »

qmile92 wrote:Condition of chrome is unimportant to me
Just curious....do you have a source for rechroming the bezel, or do you plan to paint it?
Jim

qmile92

Post by qmile92 »

I do not have a source for the rechromed yet. I have tried to paint some mustang clusters in the past with less than desirable results.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim guys on tffn say this place is good,,& his gallery of work looks great!
http://www.chrometechusa.com/gallery.html
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:Jim guys on tffn say this place is good,,& his gallery of work looks great!
http://www.chrometechusa.com/gallery.html
I hadn't seen this guy before, but his work does look good, and 26 years experience and tffn's endorsement sounds good. Some of the others I'd seen had complaints of poor quality or broken parts when returned. Our bezels are like egg shells, anyway, after 50+ years of heat and UV rays. I have two, and they both have chips and/or broken mounting screw bosses. He might be able to repair either of them at extra cost. I'm kinda like Mike, though. It galls me that it costs as much or more to get a bezel rechromed as it does a bumper. :roll:
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I had ChromeTec rechromed my '64 panel. It turned out OK. Painting the colors (satin black and the color of the dash) is a pain because of the masking. I would post a photo but this site does not allow me to attach a flie.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

qmile92

Post by qmile92 »

All good info, my bezel has the typical chip right were it meets the radio trim plate. And it looks like crap!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:I had ChromeTec rechromed my '64 panel. It turned out OK. Painting the colors (satin black and the color of the dash) is a pain because of the masking. I would post a photo but this site does not allow me to attach a flie.
Yes you can attach a file now as long as it isn't too big, but you wont see it until you hit ''preview'' or ''submit'', & if it is too big it will tell you when you hit one of those two;
Attachments
21192182_703703119821422_8290493606179391275_n.jpg
21192182_703703119821422_8290493606179391275_n.jpg (110.79 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I tried a product called Killer Chrome which was in spray cans and was a two part process. Was supposed to come out looking like nice chrome but no matter how I used it could never get it to come looking like the chrome in their video. Best i could get was very nice silver. Fred (Sassy) also tried some of it too and I think he got the same results.
I've seen one of the auto restore shows on tv where they has some paint system that they could do chrome, copper or gold and maybe other colors and it came out looking dambed good but have no idea what their system was.
The only place I have had plastic rechromed was a place called CVVacummplaters who used to be in Canada. They did beautiful work but unfortunately are no longer around.
Another place someone who has a good reputation of doing good work is Norm Huie, I believe he is in SoCal. 949 498 8974 www.shineonmetrim.com
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Comechero65 wrote:Was supposed to come out looking like nice chrome but no matter how I used it could never get it to come looking like the chrome in their video.
I have always wondered about the accuracy of the videos, maybe those results are possible but it appears regular guys like us can't recreate them consistently if at all :roll:

I have an extra bezel I bought years ago off eBay that looked pretty good but by the time it arrived it was broken in several places, I glued it back together and have done quite a bit of repair wok on it, my ultimate goal with it is to make a mold so I can reproduce me a new one, if I am ever successful, or even get back to working on it :roll: I would love to see one cast in metal and chrome plated like the rest of the dash.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I also have an extra 65 comet cluster bezel that needs some repair work. I am pretty good at repairing things made of plastic and have intended to repair this one and put it up for sale. But one of those things I never got around to finishing.
Ron

qmile92

Post by qmile92 »

I contacted shineonmetrim last week and they informed me that they no longer do plastic plating. They referred me to a place called Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island.
http://www.instrument-specialties.com