64 Comet Hot Start problem....

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
comet1268

64 Comet Hot Start problem....

Post by comet1268 »

I did a quick search on the site and didn't see any info on hot start problems. I have 64 Comet. I had my carb totally overhauled here a year ago by KP carbs on recommendation and I highly do the same. Fantastic. Here is the link to his site. http://www.kpcarbs.net/home.html. Also, I installed Pertronix electronic ignition.

Anyway, car is running good. Cold start, No problem at all, fires right up. After tooling around town a little bit (it's been in the 90's down here in Georgia), it gives me a hard time getting started if I don't get it on the first turn over. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure it is flooded. FYI, I replaced the sending unit to get the old fuel gauge functional within the week. I have fuel filter inline. I don't think it is contaminate. I have done minimal adjustment on the carb since it came all preset from KP carbs but, advice on adjustments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ya'll. I just thought I'd go to the best resource.

62Cometman

Re: 64 Comet Hot Start problem....

Post by 62Cometman »

Float level set too high is my guess, i had pretty much that exact issue and i could hold the pedal to the floor let the carb air out and after about 5-7 seconds of cranking i could finally get it to start. I pulled my carb off lowered the float level a little say about 1/16-1/8 inch and solved my problem. Basically what was happening was all the fuel in the carb bowl would hot soak and expand so much that a bunch of fuel would dump down into the intake, if i let it sit for long enough it would still start no problem but if i wanted to start it up right away it was a hassle. After lowering it starts up every time and never had a hot soak issue since.
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

65_Rat_Merc

Post by 65_Rat_Merc »

I have the exact same problem. I've just lowered my float a fuzz and will post later this evening if it solves my problem!!!

Groover

Post by Groover »

I have the same problem on extremely hot days. if you don't already have one, consider a carb spacer.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

comet1268

Post by comet1268 »

Thanks for the input. I adjusted the float and I'll report back my findings as I drive it more. I just ordered some new tires too as one of the oldies finally threw a radial on my test drive!! It's always something and they were on borrowed time anyway. I've had to make some mixture adjustments to keep this girl idling as well so we will see.

How did it work out for you 65_Rat_Merc????

Thanks!

comet1268

Post by comet1268 »

So I adjusted the float a while back and it seemed to fix the problem for a while. I have had to go back into the carb 3 times and adjust that float a knat's ass. Last night I went to drive into town and the darn thing flooded out. And in all these references when I say flooded, I mean gas on the block and dripping off the engine. Is it not true that IF the float needle is working properly, no gas should make it into the carburetor? How is this happening. I'll bust her open again today and see what is going on in there. Something is hanging up I suppose.

Groover

Post by Groover »

That almost sounds like your float is NOT seating correctly.

What carb is it? My Autolite 2100 will run with the top off if you want to check what's going on.

Also wondering if you have the little brass vent tubes installed and working properly? If the gas is hot and under some pressure it may be pushing out the vent hole. The tube raises that level about a half inch.

Gas all over the block sounds more significant than the float level.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...