I'm smoking

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Sawyer0162

I'm smoking

Post by Sawyer0162 »

My 144 only had 33K on it and runs like a champ. However, when it is warmed up it blows quite a bit of blue/gray smoke upon a restart and a constant lighter stream when accelerating. Is this normal? I know they are known for consuming oil but it seems like a lot. Someone mentioned that because of its age and using unleaded gas that the valve seats are shot.

loman

Re: I'm smoking

Post by loman »

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in, but I think the most likely candidate would be the valve seals being bad for the reason you mentioned due to there age. Since it is a low mileage original motor, I am guessing the seats are probably ok. Leaded gas lubricated the seats but many cars have and ran unleaded gas without problems over the years. However,with a motor that has that few of miles I'd bet it hasn't had that much unleaded ran through it.
When I first started driving leaded gas was available, but then disappeared. My first Comet I probably put 100,000 miles on it (odometer didn't work) half of that with leaded the other half unleaded and never noticed any problems other than the rear tires would always wear out faster than they should. :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

What kind of oil do you put in it???........I bought a 51 ford yrs ago ,still have it,V8 flat head,stored for many yrs,had 73,000 act miles,it smoked when driving and so I changed oil and filter,started useing HD oil and was driving it alot,going to car shows every week end,everytime it got a qt or so low which was often ,I change filters and add oil,one day was tooling down the free way and noticed it was not puffing anything ,scared me ,,pulled over and checked oil level and added some on the side of the hwy,it has never used a drop since and does not smoke ,,,,use what you like ,but POP puts 30wt hd in everything he owns,,and it's PENNZOIL..even in stuff I bought brand new and still own.....I am not a spoke person for PENNZOIL,could care less what you perfer,just telling you about my good luck,,,am sure theres other brands that do the same on the market,but POP sticks with a proven fact,,good luck !! but do not put non-dergent oil in that motor,even tho that's what was more then likely put in it when it was brand new.....all this is JMO....POP
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

By the color you describe, sounds like oil, but if you are running rich, you could get smoke also. Do you have a lot of blow-by (fumes) coming out the vented oil cap or out the road draft tube? That might mean oil is getting past valve guides, seals or rings.