Help me out 6 cyl guys

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
lavron
Site Admin

Help me out 6 cyl guys

Post by lavron »

I am in the contemplation stage, I want to switch my engine from the 170 to a 200 or 250 in my Comet but can't decide a few things.
First the 200 vs 250 I think the 200 is probably a a bit better engine but I like that the 250 uses a SBF bell housing, starter, flywheel (balanced 0) and I could easily bolt a T5 too it, however, I am not sure I like shoehorning it in there especially if I add air eventually. On the other hand I have a pretty good '66 200 short block in the shed but it has the long bell housing ear (that sits below the starter) broken off at the bolt hole, so I would need to find another block. Then I could look for a 80+ 200 from a Fairmont and it has a V8 bolt pattern as well but there is no flywheel that is a bolt on.
Any suggestions to push toward one of these over the other?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: Help me out 6 cyl guys

Post by popscomet »

the 250 would be my choice...best I recall 200 and 250 have 7main brg's....jmo pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

So I guess I solved that today picking up the '72 200 out the Mav Grabber, my mind is at ease :roll:

Oh yes, now that I have a head with a flat top intake there is new contemplation, my Offy triple won't fit it, so I am thinking of maybe milling the top smooth and adding dual 2V carbs, well because I like to be different.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the best way to be is DIFFERENT..... :lol: 8) my son has a 200 6cyl in his 74 bronco,tuff little motor,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

As sit and ponder, because the motor is not in my possession yet, I think it is probably a 170 as well, I used to be smarter than I am now and could tell most any of the little 6 motors quickly (from a lot of junkyard searching for parts) I am out of practice and I think the large log intake got me excited and I did not realize the Maverick came with a 170 :roll: .

All is not lost however because I got the motor cheap and from what I have read the big log, flat top 170 is like the holy grail of the small six factory heads, because it has a smaller chamber size than 200/250 heads meaning it has better compression. I might have to have the valve seats cut for larger valves but it is not an unknown process.

I was thinking about milling the top of the intake and installing two of these http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/ ... ory=361512
They are about the cheapest progressive two barrels I have seen and it says they are designed for 97 cu. in. engines, so two should be about right on a 200.

Anyone know of someplace that could CNC some aluminum plates for me for carb bases? I figured I would leave the original carb mount hole and add a plate with a dam attached to the bottom of it to sort of split the runner and mount new carbs out on either side of the center hole.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Adams

Post by Adams »

Maybe you already have it, but the Ford Falcon Six Performance Handbook has all the info for about any kind of conversion. I don't know about the late 170's, but most 170's, as opposed to the 200/250 only have 4 main bearings. If I wasn't going original, I'd get a 200. In fact, I have a 200 from a 65 Mustang sitting in my back yard, waiting to replace my 144 if I ever choose.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Adams wrote:Maybe you already have it, but the Ford Falcon Six Performance Handbook has all the info for about any kind of conversion. I don't know about the late 170's, but most 170's, as opposed to the 200/250 only have 4 main bearings. If I wasn't going original, I'd get a 200. In fact, I have a 200 from a 65 Mustang sitting in my back yard, waiting to replace my 144 if I ever choose.
Yes I have that book already.

You are correct on the 170 vs 200, 200 is what I was hopping I was buying (and maybe I did, but I don't think so) I gave so little for the engine and the head is worth what I payed plus it will have extra brackets, oil pan, valve covers and the like if I ever need them, I was thinking about this today, I did a a bit of work on my current 170, it had been rebuilt and bored with new pistons etc, even though I did that years ago it does not have that many miles on it, so I can redo the new head I am getting and just use my original 170 block until I find a good 200 block to rebuild, anything I do, like switching out transmissions etc. will go right over on the 200 and the 4 main engine is not in danger of exploding on me, just like the 7 main idea for strength.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got my engine today and it is a 200 cid, I understand after picking it up why I got worried that it might be a 170, the exhaust manifold with the heat box on it is so large you don't get a real good look at the right side of engine.

Any suggestions for treating it for stuck cylinders, I am going to tear it apart anyway but wondered about soaking the cylinder bores with diesel or atf before I do anything else?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Look at me drag up one of my old posts from the past, been contemplating and looking for the parts to install my T5, the adapter for the 170 is $190 :( , if I buy that to run the T5 with my current engine I would have to use the smaller flywheel and clutch in the 200 if I put it in later or buy a new adapter :roll:

I am revisiting the 250 scenario, this why, everything on the back of the motor and the starter are SBF, I would just need a zero balance flywheel, I could just get a bell housing for the T5 no adapters required :D

This is the downside, first I don't have one, but that aside, I would have to deal with 2" taller and around 2" longer, I don't think either of those are an issue. Next is parts are fewer than the 200 even, but I think the pistons are the same, cam is the same, crank, rods, timing chain, pushrods, harmonic balancer and water pump are different as well as a unique oil pan, I am sure all of those are available except the oil pan (I need a rear sump pan).

I may start looking for an engine, it can even be just a short block because I have enough heads.

Anybody have any negatives to doing this? Also anyone know if a 250 ever had a rear sump pan?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

BJB

Post by BJB »

Mike. I have a 200 , 7 main bearings engine in my early Falcon. It is a great engine and I was lucky that it included a 71/72 2 V head. My plan is to fit a 250 that I purchased years ago and then fit the 2V head. This will involve fitting a pusher electric fan due to the length of the 250. Not a show stopper as down here the 250 upgrade is very popular. The 250 is a big torquey Motor and when fitted with the 2V gives the V8 a fright . Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I think you're gonna have to weld a 200 pan bottom to a 250 top...no rear sump 250 applications (US anyway) I can think of. Like you noted - they're bigger...taller/ wider. I read at some point like 1.5-2" taller?? That's a lot! Kinda like 302--->351!

Be pretty neat though!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:I think you're gonna have to weld a 200 pan bottom to a 250 top...no rear sump 250 applications (US anyway) I can think of.
Kinda what I figure.

I don't think the height will make a difference being I have to custom make a pan anyway I can just set the motor a little lower.

I went down this morning and checked the one 250 (in a '77 Maverick)I knew of in the JY, it is still there, I checked, not frozen but there was water in the oil pan, most likely from sitting with no carb and someone leaving the hood up, they wanted $150 for it and I would have bring equivalent scrap cast iron in exchange, that was with me unbolting everything and they just pull it, I passed :roll:

I will keep looking, for $150 it better be a running motor to say the least.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread