Got the shakes. Please help

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
cypher

Got the shakes. Please help

Post by cypher »

So my 63 s-22 vibrates really bad when parked. When driving, it goes away a bit but when I slow down to a stop it shuts off.

comethead

Re: Got the shakes. Please help

Post by comethead »

What rpm is it idling at?
Motor mounts good? Trans mount broken?
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

wrong timing? vacuum leak?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Could also be a misfire, are the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor good? Are yout still running points? If so how are they, is the dwell right? Is your choke working, is it opening?

Ant

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had a 6cyl that the carb base plate got loose from carb. It would miss & shake at idle & run fine any other time.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:I had a 6cyl that the carb base plate got loose from carb. It would miss & shake at idle & run fine any other time.
my 71 240 6cyl truck was the worlds worse to do that,,,,,when it started to mess up or die ,I knew what was wrong with it.......I always blamed it on the oil bath air cleaner being so heavy and the case of those motors never idleing smooth to start with( but I never removed that oil bath air cleaner,as many dirt roads I was on back then ,with my huntin dogs,that type of cleaner was the best in my book...pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop it seems like when you shut off a 6cyl it has pretty bad little final shake, also cranking them seems to give em a good shake.
Johno

cypher

Post by cypher »

Its a straight 6 170 CI. I changed spark plugs, wires, oil, cap and rotor. Spark plugs were gaped at .035. Still shakes. Sounds like there is an exhaust leak. I cant tell what it is idleing at since the car does not have a tach. Manual choke and its working, all mounts seem fine. Car shakes when parked. Stops when reved.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cypher wrote:Its a straight 6 170 CI. I changed spark plugs, wires, oil, cap and rotor. Spark plugs were gaped at .035. Still shakes. Sounds like there is an exhaust leak. I cant tell what it is idleing at since the car does not have a tach. Manual choke and its working, all mounts seem fine. Car shakes when parked. Stops when reved.
Have you got the points gap to close?and make damn sure you don't have a vacumn leak ! the exhaust leak don't mean squat,it has no bearing on the problem.......bump the timeing up as far as you can and it still starts ok.........you need to pin point ,if problem is carb related or ?
pop/glenda

cypher

Post by cypher »

So the points were a bit too opened and I gaped them at .025. Still shakes. I wonder if the carb went bad.

cypher

Post by cypher »

I guess next step will be to check for vacuum leaks

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

With the engine at normal operating temp,if you have to, take a screw driver and up the idleing screw just a tad ,just enuff to keep it running,pull the air cleaner off and take your hand and put over the carb and check if you can smother it dead....if you can't....you have a bad vacumn leak......
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I'm pretty sure if you put a v8 in it it will fix the problem! :D

Ant

cypher

Post by cypher »

popscomet wrote:With the engine at normal operating temp,if you have to, take a screw driver and up the idleing screw just a tad ,just enuff to keep it running,pull the air cleaner off and take your hand and put over the carb and check if you can smother it dead....if you can't....you have a bad vacumn leak......
I did that and it does kill it. I took off the carb and someone had put 2 base gaskets, stacked. Can that be a problem? Should I get the carb rebuilt to see if it fixes the problem? I advanced the timing too but even with it accelerated a bit, it still has a bit of a vibration. It does feel like a misfire because every 3 seconds it knocks inside the car. Like a jumping feeling.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cypher wrote:
popscomet wrote:With the engine at normal operating temp,if you have to, take a screw driver and up the idleing screw just a tad ,just enuff to keep it running,pull the air cleaner off and take your hand and put over the carb and check if you can smother it dead....if you can't....you have a bad vacumn leak......
I did that and it does kill it. I took off the carb and someone had put 2 base gaskets, stacked. Can that be a problem? Should I get the carb rebuilt to see if it fixes the problem? I advanced the timing too but even with it accelerated a bit, it still has a bit of a vibration. It does feel like a misfire because every 3 seconds it knocks inside the car. Like a jumping feeling.
2 base gaskets ain't good,,,rebuilding the carb won't hurt nothing,are you sure your hitting on all 6,you might have a burnt valve,,,for the life of me I cannot recall if those little motors have a harmonic balancer,,,,if so yours may be bad,,are you sure the knock from inside is caused by the exhaust system ? pop
pop/glenda