Solve my mystery, please

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

Solve my mystery, please

Post by Adams »

Hello All, Hi Pops, Got my Comet back together with the 200 motor. Problems I had with the thermostat and pan are fixed. However, I'm having a horrible time to get it running correctly. Symptoms: hard starting unless spark is way advanced, hesitation, missing, lack of power when accelerating. It idles ok, although there's some missing. I've checked just about everything. Good carb, good fuel pressure, got spark, timed correctly, dizzy not in backwards. New ignition parts and wires. A real mystery. At this point, having checked so much, I'm wondering if it could be something else....for example, the motor had been rebuilt in the past, and had hydraulic lifters AND adjustable rockers. I rebuilt the head, and used non-adjustable rockers. I wonder if the head was milled so much that the non-adjustables aren't cutting it. Only one way to find that out, put the old rockers back on.

popscomet

Re: Solve my mystery, please

Post by popscomet »

Very possible the valves are to tight,,put your adjustables back on and give them a little slack and try that...if they are to tight it will cause most of what you experiencing
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Well, Pops, Today I replaced the supposed 'new' condenser that came with the rebuilt dist, and the hesitation and hard staring are gone! However, I still have a knocking sound, but only when accelerating. I disconnected the vac advance, and the sound ceased. I checked timing, and this great rebuilt dist seems to be advancing too far too fast. I've adjusted the dust springs as far as they will go, but I really need stronger springs. I'm still thinking if I put the adjustable rockers back on, I might be able to resolve the issue, as possibly a lifter/valve is eithe bottoming or opening too far, and when advance is put on, the effect is intensified. For the moment, it s driveable without advance, just won't win any races!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

don't laugh !!!! take a stick and start the engine and put the stick against the fuel pump and the other end to your best ear and listen
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Are you saying the noise could be from the fuel pump, or are you getting at something else? Sound is only during low load (high vacuum) acceleration.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Adams wrote:Are you saying the noise could be from the fuel pump, or are you getting at something else? Sound is only during low load (high vacuum) acceleration.
yes sir,thats what I saying,the fuel pump
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
Adams wrote:Are you saying the noise could be from the fuel pump, or are you getting at something else? Sound is only during low load (high vacuum) acceleration.
yes sir,thats what I saying,the fuel pump
I'm throwing a few things to you that I have ran across in the past,and I have had fuel pumps that make a sound like dead lifters and bad whrist pins,had one once that sounded like a main was bumping,had a loose trq converter one time so it's very hard to pin point your problem not being there....I always try to help by putting the person in a direction to help him think,,and I'll always try to help!! you keep digging and POP will keep handing you the shovel........not saying your noise is a fuel pump,and the stick deal does work...also a rubber hose good luck be waiting to hear from you pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Thanks, I'll try it, and let you know what I find.