Messing with Sixes can be frustrating sometimes

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
lavron
Site Admin

Messing with Sixes can be frustrating sometimes

Post by lavron »

So in all my planning on putting a different engine/drivetrain in the Comet, my "good ideas" move one thing forward and another back it seems.

I decided to go with the 250 six so I could have easier transmission/bellhousing/starter/clutch choices and future replacement would be easier because everything is almost SBF, that is everything except the flywheel which is SBF in all aspects except it is zero imbalance and 250 manual flywheels are not available new at all, while one could get a new 302 flywheel for around $60 it won't work because of the 24 or 50 oz imbalance, a zero imbalance flywheel is like $200-$300+ so more to have no weight :roll: , I did find a billet one for $120 (screw on weights) so that is probably what I will go with it.

So then I want to change pistons with a taller deck (pin height), the ones available to do so are 255 V8 pistons which they only made for like 3 years in 80-83 (IIRC) and no one carries them, vintage inlines has a set of 6 for $215 and that is about as cheap as I can find them in an overbore size, now I can't seem to find rings in anything but standard and .040 over (may have seen some clearance .020 on RockAuto) I think I will need .020 or .030 overbore so this will be fun :roll:

I own a Comet because I like a challenge finding parts, may as well have a challenging, rare motor as well :P When it ever all gets done it will be a point of pride hopefully and not too many people will make fun of me. If it was easy it might not be as fun

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Re: Messing with Sixes can be frustrating sometimes

Post by poboyjo65 »

Would a 300 6 flywheel work? I may have one with a worn gear ,(but they are cheap)
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:Would a 300 6 flywheel work? I may have one with a worn gear ,(but they are cheap)
No or maybe it would mean trying to find a 300 bell housing, 300 use a 164 tooth ring gear (I assume they are larger diameter) and SBF is 157 tooth and I am not sure there is a different thickness, not sure where one could find the specs.

My issue is I think I could fit a truck bell but not sure my input shaft would be the right length on my transmission, I think some of the 300-6 came with T5s but not sure on specifics, I would guess it would use a different starter, again not apposed to going 300 six stuff just think it might cause more headache than just footing the bill for the SBF zero balance flywheel or maybe finding a 250 flywheel then I know everything else (clutches, starter, bell, etc) will work together.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Did some searching, late model V6 T5 cars used a 164 tooth flywheel and 11" inch clutch. So maybe that would work? Although they probably were for the longer input shaft transmissions.... :roll:
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"