Replacement radiators

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
KatKar60

Replacement radiators

Post by KatKar60 »

Hi all, I have a stock original 1960 Comet. I am looking at replacement radiators on ebay. It looks like one is offered that will fit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-fits-1 ... kJ&vxp=mtr

I have some concerns and maybe someone has purchase this one. They look like a great deal, are brass and copper which is great and probably cheaper than doing a re-core. My first concern is a reviewer said this radiator does not fit with the 6 cylinder due to fan clearance issues. I honestly have no idea if the clearance on the Falcon is the same as on the Comet. All the radiators say they are 3 row and I am assuming the original is 2 row, which has been fine. Also, it would seem these radiators are all for automatics which mine is not. I attempted to contact the company but the link does not work. I'd rather hear first hand anyway. Any ideas regarding these aftermarket radiators? Thanks!

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Replacement radiators

Post by lavron »

KatKar60 wrote: it would seem these radiators are all for automatics which mine is not.
Doesn't make a difference, just has the hookups for the transmission cooler but you just don't hook them up, I think most all the aftermarket radiators have the automatic connections.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

KatKar60

Post by KatKar60 »

I was hoping to receive an answer concerning clearance issues (if any) with a 3 row radiator.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

KatKar60 wrote:I was hoping to receive an answer concerning clearance issues (if any) with a 3 row radiator.
Sorry I don't have that particular radiator.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Check out US Radiator.

SW
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

KatKar60

Post by KatKar60 »

US radiator site was helpful. They have specifications for 2 and 3 row radiators. Putting a 3 row gives me maybe a 1/4 inch clearance. That seems awfully close for comfort. Thoughts?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

To gain some more clearance between fan and rad many cut slots in top of rad support and slip the rad mount lip into that slot then use spacers between rad and the front side of the rad support. Gains you about 3/4" more space. If planning on adding ac may create a new clearance problem. If no ac then no problem.
Ron

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

You don't need a 3 row with that 6.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Why not just recore your two row original, then you don't have to worry about fit and you keep the car closer to original?

I had mine recored for about the same price as new.

My two row keeps my v8 plenty cool (no AC).
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

KatKar60

Post by KatKar60 »

That was my original plan but then I saw one on ebay on sale below the cost of a re-core with free shipping lol. But then I noticed it was a 3 row and someone said it didn't fit. One thing led to another...you know how it goes. :roll: US radiator offers a 2 row but considering the price plus freight I'm better off going to the local radiator shop. Thank goodness we still have one.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

FOR what's it's worth,,I like having the original rebuilt,,then you know it all fits.....and works !! jmo,pop
pop/glenda