Alt conversion & radiator fan removal/elec replacement

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
sharkskinman

Alt conversion & radiator fan removal/elec replacement

Post by sharkskinman »

can someone point out A or The alternator most people use?
Im guessing its as a VW.. take out the VR and run connect some wires (Int Reg. 1 wire alternator)

I mean i can always just fab a mount and put just about anything in it?

In the Type 3s and some 411/412s (VWs)
we used a "mini alternator for hot rods".. most of the time we pulled them out of mid 80s RX7s
they were 70 amp IIRC with a stock V-belt pulley on them.. altho Im not sure they had a fan

also im probably going to get rid of the stock fan and go with an electric fan , maybe fan shroud
(came with brand new aluminum radiator installed)
Inline Temp sensor to turn on? electric Or mechanical??
OG 62'Comet..not named yet

loman

Re: Alt conversion & radiator fan removal/elec replacement

Post by loman »

I don't know what most people are doing, but on my race car I installed a 3g alternator that I got from a 96 Mustang 6 cyl. I think it is a 130 amp alternator. If you do some searching, there are several sites that can explain how to do this pretty easily "3G alternator conversion". I changed the pulley to a v belt style, added the 175 amp mega fuse and fuse block holder that I scavenged off of a Ford Contour. You will need something that draws a little current to "excite" the circuit to make it charge. Since I'm using it in a race car, I wired my high beam indicator light to a switch. When I turn the switch on, the high beam indicator light comes on and the alternator charges. The voltmeter jumps to over 14 volts. One thing I would definitely check out before doing this in a street car or any car with older wiring is to make sure the wiring is good or better yet install all new wiring for the charging circuit. I also would not use the ammeter gauge, instead I would use a voltmeter. So far in 3 years I have not had a problem. The best thing about it is that it is cheap. Junkyard alt.$25, fuse and holder was not charged for. Bought new wire and lugs for a few bucks.My opinion it is a cheap junkyard upgrades that is totally functional. No need to buy any high dollar aftermarket stuff.

Psycho Medic

Post by Psycho Medic »

When I first got my 62 S-22 back in 85 it had the generator on it. It would be fine for a few months and then I would have to replace the generator. After doing this 3 or 4 times I found a FoMoCo alternator in the junk yard and installed it with a new voltage regulator. Have been driving the car for twenty something years since then and have had NO charging problems at all. Alternator is much better than those stupid generators!

"Psycho Medic"

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WAS you replaceing your generater with a new one?? true e'nuff,the ALT is the better of the 2,but the gen has been on mine forever,never a problem....and you'd be hard pressed to have put more miles on your comet then what has been put on mine in the last 20 odd yrs...POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I think you will find that most people here are ford/mercury people and tend to stay with ford products and avoid use of other brands. So most here are more familiar with what fits and works well. A common upgrade is use of a ford 1g alt with standard external reg or with a rear mounted 1 wire reg module. Next step is to go with a ford 3g alt which has an internal reg and is found on many ford/mercurys in the salvage yard so are inexpensive but still good. A few choose a GM type 1 wire alt as well. All of these are easy installs.
We have many wiring diagrams and info on how best to achieve the install and upgrade.
We can offer all you need to know to do the upgrade including wiring an ammeter.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Ron....my Comet had a GM 1 wire alt installed before I bought it. Appears to keep the battery charged OK, but the amp meter doesn't register a charge. Can the amp meter be wired to work properly with an alternator, or is a volt meter the way to go?
Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Ron....my Comet had a GM 1 wire alt installed before I bought it. Appears to keep the battery charged OK, but the amp meter doesn't register a charge. Can the amp meter be wired to work properly with an alternator, or is a volt meter the way to go?
Jim
Sure you can wire an ammeter to work with anything. Yours may be wired but the guage itself is bad. Unless the po disconnected the wire in the process of adding the GM alt. Could be made to work but hooking up a voltmeter is easier and less trouble.

If you have a cigar lighter that works then is the easy way:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121783642321?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Voltmeter + 2 usb charger ports.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks, Ron. Don't have a cigar lighter, so the easy way is out. I'll do some wire tracing to see if the ammeter is at fault or just disconnected. I'd like to stay with the original instruments, because if I change to a voltmeter, I'd need to change the other instruments to a comparable style for it to look right.
Jim