Ignition on 64

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
comet1268

Ignition on 64

Post by comet1268 »

Hey folks. I'm trying to set the timing and the rotor itself has rotational play that I've never seen before. It actually spins 15-20 degrees in both directions before it hits stop on shaft. I have no idea what was done to this car before me so I don't know if the distributor was switched out. Is this normal? Is there supposed to be a clip or something on the shaft to secure the rotor? Thanks.

Comechero65

Re: Ignition on 64

Post by Comechero65 »

Sounds like the springs in the mechanical advance mechanism under the breaker plate are messed up or broken. Pull the breaker plate out and makes sure everything is there and correctly installed. Are you sure it's not just a loose rotor?
Ron

comet1268

Post by comet1268 »

The distributor shaft itself does not move. Only the rotor moves. It is the correct rotor for the car. Seems like I have heard there is a clip that is supposed to be attached to the rotor to limit this sloppy movement. See below:

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falco ... comet.html

Do you guys have this on your rotor?

Its got to be the issue.

Thanks

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

That is the clip used on a 6 cyl dist. If yours is a 6 which you never said what engine you have, there should be one of those in the rotor otherwise the rotor will be sloppy and timing will be all over the place. Plus the risk of destroying the rotor and cap.
People need to give more info when asking questions as in my case the crystal ball is on the blink. :D
Ron

comet1268

Post by comet1268 »

Hey Ron,
Yes sorry it is a 6cyl 3.3L Ok well I'm gonna have to get a hold of one of those little guys. Its crazy what they want for that little clip on ebay. Geez. I figured something was wrong. I really have no history on what was done to this car so if something is missing well its trial and error. Thanks for the input. I will track one down!