headers & straight pipe

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
-Rudy-

Re: headers & straight pipe

Post by -Rudy- »

Here's a video, again it's not a 200 but the power band and size is similar enough I would guess. It would be a bit louder on a comet because we don't have any cats, just a thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgJGeUgeGRg
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

This is just my thoughts, its entirely possible I'm completely wrong about this, but:

I think the key to having a inline six that sounds good is to have dual exhaust. 3 cylinders into each pipe. Thats how you get what I call the "old British sports car" sound. Single exhaust just sounds like an airplane to me.

Anyways, I run dual Flowmaster 50 series on my car (V8), no X- or H- pipe. I love how it sounds. I've gotten lots of compliments on it too. Flowmaster describes the 50 series as "moderate" exterior noise and "minimal" interior resonance. It rumbles nice, could be a little quieter for my taste, but they're definitely far from obnoxious.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP has been around for several years,,,,the best sounding 6cyl with split exhaust is a 6cyl chevy,,case closed.....not a ford !! thats calling it just like the old woman miked the cow...buts that's JMO,,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:OL POP has been around for several years,,,,the best sounding 6cyl with split exhaust is a 6cyl chevy,,case closed.....not a ford !! thats calling it just like the old woman miked the cow...buts that's JMO,,,,,,pop
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HACKED!!
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Pop...Chevy...GM...better?!?!?!?! :thud:...fainted... :shock: :P :) :D :mrgreen: :shock: :o :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:Pop...Chevy...GM...better?!?!?!?! :thud:...fainted... :shock: :P :) :D :mrgreen: :shock: :o :lol:
That was very hard for me to post,,,But..back in the 60's when I was a teen,and I have to be HONEST,,,,ole boys were splittin 6 cyl chevys and they sounded good,,,there were very few of us FORD guys and we just couldn't get ours to sound as good,,,,,am just talking about the 6cyl's,,,,our V8's were a different thing,those old Yblocks with a set of glasspacks would wake up the dead,,,back then the cops were hard on loud pipes and the fine was 5.50 ,I have paid more loud exhaust tickets then the average 9 people,in fact what we all did was chip in and help each other pay the fine,,,almost every monday morning at school,that was GLENDA's thing,go around and collect nickles dimes and quaters.WE skipped lunch many days to pay a fine.In fact the cops finaly put a stop to us going into the police station with a paper bag full of loose change ,,what I did was walk up to the cop's desk and lay down the ticket and pour the loose change on top of it and say count it,,there's 5.50 there right to the penny(sometimes alot of it was pennies).....they started having us bring in a parent or legal guardian to pay the fine,,,that didn't bother me none cause I'd get MOMMA's older brother to go with me.....A v8 flathead with a set of glasspacks sounded better or as good as a split 6cyl 235 chevy.......this brings back great memories,me and Glenda,we really don't have many bad one's....we were so lucky to have parents like we HAD,,kinda got off subject,,but OL POP is in the house watching it rain so hard and it's going to last along time,so am here on this postin machine killing time.......like POP as always said.....I shoot stright from the hip and call it just like I see it,,,,a split 6cyl chevy sound back in the day was hard to beat.................thanks,now someone go put a cold wet towel on Rockets's forehead and make sure he's OK from passing out :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

My first car was a 60 Plymouth with a 225 slant 6. I split the exhaust manifold and ran dual exhausts through Walker glass-packs, and it sounded......TERRIBLE! :x It wasn't too bad idling. Still not like a V8, which I wanted something awful, but didn't have the money for. But, when I got down on it, it just went BLA-A-A-TTT! My dad nicknamed it The Blatmobile. :roll:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Seems to me that I have had walker mufflers,,,,,,Have used walker oil filters with great success,,in fact in the 70's ,GLENDA saw a AMC javlin,she wanted one so I went to the AMC dealer ship and bought her a 72 sst ,304 v8,super car,,,but when you 1st started it,seemed like it took longer for the oil light to go out,,then I normaly cared for .the motor was in good shape,,what it was the oil pump was in the timing chain cover and the oil filter was at a slight lean with the end kinda of up in the rear,when it sit over night the oil would drain out and had to fill back up when started,there fore making the light a couple of sec's to go out,and that bugged the fire out of me ,one day a old man told me to put a walker oil filter on it ,cause it had a built in drain back valve and it stayed full of oil after motor died,,I started doing just that and never had a problem with oil light taking awhile to go out again,she drove that thing for years.....pop
pop/glenda