headers & straight pipe

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
mattscomet

headers & straight pipe

Post by mattscomet »

I am in need of a new exhaust for my comet and i was thinking about headers with 2 1/4 inch straight pipe? anyone have comments, concerns, suggestions!? thanks guys :)

Tbart

Re: headers & straight pipe

Post by Tbart »

I think you would tire of the drone noise quickly. No muffler on a driver gets old fast.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GLENDA, use to have a 67 fairlane with a factory 2bbl 390 3-speed on the column with dual exhaust,it was so quite you could hear a fly bump his butt when he landed on the dash,so I had the mufflers removed and a sright pipe put in the place of the mufflers,,,you know I was disapointed in the noise,it was loud only when you floored it in 1st and 2nd and let off,,shift it into 3rd with a steady foot on the gas pedal,it was surpriseingly quite,and I use to run a stright pipe on a v8 55 ford pu,,,,it wasn't that loud either.....the trick is run a tailpipe out the rear,that way you won't get that roar in the cab....jmo pop
pop/glenda

Aussiecomet64

Post by Aussiecomet64 »

Noise tends to attract attention. To me, that is usually NOT a good thing.
When I was getting the pipes made up for my '72 Falcon (351W), I asked the guy to make me up a 2 1/2" dual system with minimal back pressure, and he fitted a pair of oval straight-thru mufflers. As Tbart said, it got old pretty fast. The noise was embarrassing after a while. I ended up taking it back to him and paying him to install a pair of baffled-type mufflers instead, and now it's not so loud but still has the nice beefy note.
Much nicer to drive.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JMO.but to me ,you have to have e'nuff motor under the hood to completment loud pipes(mufflers),,if not they sound terriable,,,these guys with a late model chevy truck put on some type of turbo muffler or a flowmaster type (I like flowmasters,but everything I have them on has the compresion to go with the set up) and and they sound sick,,,they think they are flyin when thier not going anywhere fast..with out e'nuff motor under the hood they sound worn out...like I said this is JMO pop
pop/glenda

Aussiecomet64

Post by Aussiecomet64 »

Funny how engine compression and cam spec can make such a difference to the exhaust note.
I knew a guy had a fairly tough 351C in a '77 Falcon 'wagon. It sounded healthy, with a stainless twin system it had a bit of a bark to it.
One day I noticed his car was suddenly very quiet, and I asked what he'd done to the exhaust system. He explained that he'd had engine trouble recently and was running a stock 302C while the 351C was being repaired. The exhaust system was unaltered, as 302C and 351C are externally identical. The only difference was that the exhaust system was now only dealing with a low compression stock 302.
BIG difference.

(I know we're supposed to be talking small sixes here, but the moral of the story is the same) :wink: .

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I REST MY CASE !!!!! POP
pop/glenda

mattscomet

Post by mattscomet »

popscomet wrote:I REST MY CASE !!!!! POP
any suggestions on what to throw on there pop? would like to invest in headers for slight horsepower and whole new exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GO for the header,then if a muffler shop has a resonator muffler,have that put on and a tailpipe all the way out the back,,thats what I'd do,pop
pop/glenda

dwreilly1@gmail.com

Post by dwreilly1@gmail.com »

I have a comet with a 170 1-barrel and I need a new exhaust system as well. How should I design it to be not so crazy loud, but sound nice and grumbly? What type muffler, and where to locate it, and what diameter pipe?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP is shootin stright from the hip,don't want to sound negative or burst any bubbles,,but with a 170 6cyl,I'd have a notion of a stock system installed,,I think even with a 18in glasspack it will have a terrible sound,,but that's my honest thought !! good luck,and here is another thought concerning loud exhaust,,,more then likely your fuel mileage will lessen,,why you ask,cause you'll always be gasing it to hear it ,you'll have tindency to over rev the motor,just trying to make it sound off..like I said JMO !! pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Here is a link to various setups on a 200 six you can listen too, however the motor is not a stock 200. Classic inlines is now defunct so you can't purchase any products from them :cry: but you can see there are combos that work, some sound better than others.

https://youtu.be/3MZhDW14sqw

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

dwreilly1@gmail.com

Post by dwreilly1@gmail.com »

thanks alot, and i like the straight answers, pop. they are always best

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

Haven't heard a 200 with it, but quite a few 4.0 Jeeps run the dynomax super turbo muffler and I think it sounds really clean. Rumbles plenty at idle and doesn't drone or get too emotional at speed.
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

sursmilie64

Post by sursmilie64 »

I like the cheepies at speedway ($10) run out the back. Sounds bean on my 56 Coustemline. But with a stock motor it will sound like a dump truck.