My Comet was hit

Discussions about general body work and modifications
thrnelson

My Comet was hit

Post by thrnelson »

Hello everybody,

While my Comet was at the exhaust shop getting new headers and a new exhaust it was backed into by another customer. The other person has insurance and has been good so far but I have never had to deal with an insurance company regarding any non current car. Has anybody had to deal with this? I am questioning which shop to take it to will their insurance company accept a non-traditional repair shop. I am just looking for a little advice.

Thanks.
Trent
20190109_115608-s.jpg
20190109_115608-s.jpg (10.85 KiB) Viewed 4293 times

lavron
Site Admin

Re: My Comet was hit

Post by lavron »

Bummer Trent.

I don't have any idea on how to deal with the insurance company but if you can post what you have to do it would be good info for us all that wish to venture out into the world with our classic Comets.

I hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

thrnelson wrote:Hello everybody,

While my Comet was at the exhaust shop getting new headers and a new exhaust it was backed into by another customer. The other person has insurance and has been good so far but I have never had to deal with an insurance company regarding any non current car. Has anybody had to deal with this? I am questioning which shop to take it to will their insurance company accept a non-traditional repair shop. I am just looking for a little advice.

Thanks.
Trent
20190109_115608-s.jpg
Their insurance company doesn't get to pick the shop, you do. Their insurance company is suppose to make you whole again. Which is to pay to put your car back to the condition it was before the accident.

As far as what shop to go to, prob going to have better luck with a non traditional shop, traditional collision shop is prob not going to want the job. Flat rate shops like new stuff, stuff they can easily find parts, repair and match paint. They tend to stay away from old cars.

The other thing is and from the look of the damage I really don't think you will have this problem. But I have seen where insurance company's have just went straight to totaling the car just to head off any future pains or problems. I have seen them total cars when the estimate has reached 50% of the cars value. And unless you have collector car insurance they have a tendency to undervalue old cars.

Get a couple estimates from shops you prefer/trust and turn them into their insurance company. And I would get these from shops that have experience in old cars. They (their insurance co) will prob just go with those estimates being their adjusters don't have much if any experience with classic/collector cars. They will then prob pay you, send you the check not the shop and then you pay the shop.

Sucks your car was hit!! Hopefully they will treat you right!

Lou

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I got hit in one of our classics a few years back. They sent an adjuster to look at it, he asked me some questions, they cut me a check. He said if it went over that amount, just let him know. That was it.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I will let you know in this thread once things get finalized.

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

I would make sure that the quote you get from any shop that they understand you want them to either replace the panel or do all metal work to get it back into shape no crappy bondo jobs / some less than reputable shops will just slather it on :shock: , also discuss the painting process for a little bit extra they might be persuaded to repaint the whole side of the vehicle or the entire car vs just trying to match paint 1 section. Working with both the shop you want to do the work and the insurance is the only way to get it back to the way it was before, and do not be pushed into making compromises from the insurance company, you have every right to want the car to be exactly as it was before despite whether or not they want to gripe about the price tag of it.
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MAN I hate to hear it,reminds me back in 1967 I had a 56 2dr ford,,a guy backed into the right rear qtr panel,not bad it was real lightly,,,he paid me on the spot what I thought would it cost to fix it,,,,I took that car home and opened the trunk and wrapped a towel around my knuckles and drew back and hit that dent from inside,, popped right out it never cracked the paint and then I eased up against a tree and lightly pumped the clutch til that bumper went right back into place,,,,,I was 19 and proud as a peacock of myself...pop was 10ft tall and bullet proof back in those days.. :? :wink: :) :lol: :lol:
pop/glenda

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

This whole situation is probably why I enjoy working on cars more than actually driving them. Every time I take any of my stuff out for a drive,I freak out.It's a super stressful deal for me. Back roads with little traffic are no problem but city driving+no good. You spend yrs on a car and it can all be wiped out in an instant.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

vicegrip wrote:This whole situation is probably why I enjoy working on cars more than actually driving them. Every time I take any of my stuff out for a drive,I freak out.It's a super stressful deal for me. Back roads with little traffic are no problem but city driving+no good. You spend yrs on a car and it can all be wiped out in an instant.
look at it the way me and GLENDA look at driving her 56 ford ,,,,,,,the LORD blessed us with it...so we drive and enjoy it and LET the GOOD LORD keep an eye on it,,,that's what I told a guy at the STREET MACHINE NATIONALS IN SPRINGFIELD MO...when he found out she drove it from AR instead of put it on a trailer.....said the same thing in bowling green Kentucky ….and in TENN and,many other places,,,now she drives it to WAL MART,,grocery store....show days are behind us,,,so she keeps the LORD busy keeping an watchful eye on it..and enjoy's the heck out of it....
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pops, that's pretty much where I am. I only buy liability insurance so I'm legal on the road, have never had it valued never will doesn't matter. If I survive the crash I'll fix it, if not don't matter.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:Pops, that's pretty much where I am. I only buy liability insurance so I'm legal on the road, have never had it valued never will doesn't matter. If I survive the crash I'll fix it, if not don't matter.
Fred
WE have a dollar value on her 56 and my comet,,well make a couple of dollars off her 56,,not much but some as far as money invested,,but when it comes to our time(3.5 yrs to build) we would lose,,,my comet is covered for about what I have in it.the way I always looked at them was ,THEY never were built to resale,,they were built for us to drive and enjoy,,,you called it ..I can re-fix it...if not don't matter....thank you......POP
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I'm with you POP. I couldn't believe how cheap classic car insurance is. I told them what I wanted the value at and they gave me a price. I pay a little over $300.00 for total coverage on 2 cars. My comet and my 95 Mustang race car. They don't cover it if I wreck it on the track put they will if I wreck it, driving to the track. I asked why the price is so low and they told me that people like us are very careful with our cars so they don't have much for claims and if it's totaled I get what amount I insured it for. I like that :D
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tomb22 wrote:I'm with you POP. I couldn't believe how cheap classic car insurance is. I told them what I wanted the value at and they gave me a price. I pay a little over $300.00 for total coverage on 2 cars. My comet and my 95 Mustang race car. They don't cover it if I wreck it on the track put they will if I wreck it, driving to the track. I asked why the price is so low and they told me that people like us are very careful with our cars so they don't have much for claims and if it's totaled I get what amount I insured it for. I like that :D
Tom
I always insure for about what I have in it,,that way if I live thru it,,my bank account is still in the green and the rates are cheap e'nuff that I can insure several....I don't care about doing these old cars for money,none are for sale..they just give POP lots of fun and help make memories for that rocking chair and that stick I'll be whittling on,someday,and if I don't ever make it to that rocking chair,,,it won't matter... :? :wink:
pop/glenda

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

So far the process is going smooth. The body shop I chose came and looked at it and gave me a range. The Liberty Mutual estimator came and his estimate was close to the shops range. At this point the body shop is picking up the car today and the insurance company is mailing me a check although they have already acknowledged that they will probably have to send another check with more money. I will keep you up to date on the process.

On the good side my exhaust is done and it sounds great.

comet guy

Post by comet guy »

I hope things work out well for you. These cars are hard to replace.

Robert