External sun visors

Discussions about general body work and modifications
BJB

External sun visors

Post by BJB »

You've probably realised by now that the Australian motoring public had a passion for Venetian blinds in their cars during the 60's, myself included.

Another accessory was the external sunvisor. Popular in the northern states as it tended to keep the sun out of your eyes and the heat out of the cabin...well that is the theory. A/C was a rare option for us until the mid 70s so these old remedies had to do.

They have started to become popular on the '60 scene cruisers. I was given one a few years ago. I prepped it for paint but never fitted it due to losing one of the retaining bolts and breaking another.

It was from a '64 XM Falcon with an embossed bulge similar to the bulge that was on the XM Falcon bonnet ( hood)

I purchased another today , complete with the retaining bolts that was fitted to the '65/'66 XPs. The centre bulge was more of a ridge that complimented the ridge on the XP bonnet, I mean hood. It tended to add some rigidity as they can droop in the middle.

Surface rust only and it was straight. I commenced stripping off the rust and hope to get it painted and fitted ASAP. They are usually painted a light green on the underside.

Stepped bracketry fits in the rain gutter.

XM bulge..

XP bonnet..

Centre ridge
XM on left...XP on right
I need to clean my garage out....I have crap everywhere...

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Comechero65

Re: External sun visors

Post by Comechero65 »

Back in the late 40's and early 50's those were quite common on cars here. I remember my dad had a 49 ford with one on it. Almost impossible to find one today.
Ron

albert

Post by albert »

I was looking at a 1949 Mercury with an external sun visor last week. It was held on by 2 chrome flanges that were affixed to the A pillar. There was a spacer piece in the center (centre) to prevent it from bowing. I really like that look, makes the car really stand out.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

BJB

Post by BJB »

I took it to my local panel shop and they will match the colour and paint it . They will remove any sharp dents .
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."