Rear Shelf Replacement or Rehab?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Maine Pilot

Rear Shelf Replacement or Rehab?

Post by Maine Pilot »

My '66 Caliente 2-dr.'s rear shelf; (directly behind the rear seat under the rear window), has really faded. While the car is undergoing a restoration at the body shop, the mgr. there told me he couldn't find a source for a replacement.

Does anyone have any ideas where a replacement could be found? The compelling reason to replace the deck is one of the previous owners, (who had a moment of pure revelation), decided to install a "3rd Stoplight" by cutting out a hole in that deck! Grumble, grumble. Obviously, that 3rd light wasn't standard until a few years later.

What is the material the rear deck/shelf is made of? It seems to have the look/texture of cardboard or something similar. Can it be refinished, if so, with what: paint?
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

poboyjo65

Re: Rear Shelf Replacement or Rehab?

Post by poboyjo65 »

I would guess one for a fairlane would work but it's a guess. Mine was wrapped in black vinyl or pleather by the P.O..
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

mine was like a fiber brd and I painted it,,,it's holding up good so far...but my comet seldom sits very long in the bright sun very long at a time...that helps it to survive.........pop :)
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Unless it is broken,most people refinish it!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

loman

Post by loman »

My rear shelf is made of fiberboard like pop's. I believe I bought a 4x8 sheet at lowe's or Home Depot.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You can buy 1/8" hard board at Lowe's or Home Depot. Use your old shelf as a pattern and trace it onto the hard board and cut it out with a jigsaw. If you paint it, you'll need to seal it first with Kilz, or you could cover it with vinyl to match your interior.
Jim