Illegible VIN

Discussions about general body work and modifications
GearHead0341

Illegible VIN

Post by GearHead0341 »

Hello,

I'm unsure if there is a really good solution here, but I am having extreme difficulty reading the VIN on my fender. I'm guessing someone sanded over it at some point in time. This is a problem because the last few owners have been using the warranty number as the VIN on the title, even though the tag says "Not for identification purposes." I'd like to fix this. I took a pencil rubbing, but it wasn't much more legible. Any suggestions? Maybe if I had an idea of what it should be, I could discern what the different characters are. It's a '63 two-door hard top.

Thanks,

James

65clevorcyclone

Re: Illegible VIN

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Pretty sure there is another vin stamped on the pass inner fender, its covered by the fender.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Maybe the 60-63 guys would know,try posting in the 60-63 Thread!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

65clevorcyclone wrote:Pretty sure there is another vin stamped on the pass inner fender, its covered by the fender.
I saw that one on my 65 when I had the fender off. a little closer to the cowl than the other vin
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

GearHead0341 wrote:Hello,

I'm unsure if there is a really good solution here, but I am having extreme difficulty reading the VIN on my fender. I'm guessing someone sanded over it at some point in time. This is a problem because the last few owners have been using the warranty number as the VIN on the title, even though the tag says "Not for identification purposes." I'd like to fix this. I took a pencil rubbing, but it wasn't much more legible. Any suggestions? Maybe if I had an idea of what it should be, I could discern what the different characters are. It's a '63 two-door hard top.

Thanks,
James
Mask off around the area of the VIN stamping with multiple layers of masking tape and use a small molders paintbrush and some paint remover to clean it up. If the area has been sanded and painted a few times then paint has probably filled the stamping. Use a shop towel over it while the paint remover works. Might have to do it a couple times. Then neutralize with water, dry., and remove tape. Get your pencil rubbing then remask and spray a light coat of paint over ti to protect it.

Lou.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I hate to guess how many times the fenders have been off of my 65,NO VIN # on the right side!!!It may have been a plant thing!! ROY.
Last edited by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I hate to guess how many times the fenders have off of my 65,NO VIN # on the right side!!!It may have been a plant thing!! ROY.
The area may have been a plant thing but I'd bet a fair chunk of money it has another vin. the police would use these vins if they believed a car was stolen,with a possible altered vin. this was a hidden vin. your right though, it is possible the hidden vin is located elsewhere. mine was under the dum dum putty that seals the fender to the apron ,about halfway to the cowl.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;I have also read where it was stamped into the floor right below the rear braces.I looked there on mine as I was removing that section,not there!! Interesting info,I guess every plant may have been different!! I did not know you could get paint color from the VIN# on the fender,I thought all that info was on the door tag!!!! ROY.

65clevorcyclone

My 65 has two on the drivers and pretty sure one on the pass, and 63 falcon has one on both sides.

GearHead0341

Post by GearHead0341 »

Roy,

Yours "should" be on the frame in front of the radiator, underneath the rubber apron (that may no longer be there), to the right of the filler cap when you're looking at if from the front of the vehicle.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Parts are still there,NO VIN# though!! ROY.

65clevorcyclone

Confirmed that my 65 has 2 stamped on drivers apron, and one on passenger apron

GearHead0341

Post by GearHead0341 »

Hmm...like you said, Roy, not every plant may have been the same. It kind of makes you wonder if they were randomly placed, since they were for theft detection, doesn't it? I guess I'll hunt around for it. The suggestion about removing the paint was pretty good, too, but I'll save that as a last resort. Thank you to all!

James

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The poster says he has a 63 comet wagon with it stamped on both side fender supports.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... on.370683/
down at the bottom of this page it says on the shock tower brace for 63. I remember reading some years had it there.
http://www.tpocr.com/lincolnvin3.html

I looked back thru my pics & confirmed my 65 has it on both aprons/fender supports. the pass side vin is hidden with the fender on. the driver side has 2 vins ,one hidden by the fender & one with a cut out place on the fender to make it visible. the hidden vins are right above the shock towers.
Johno

65 cyclone 4 speed

Post by 65 cyclone 4 speed »

you should be able to read it from the underside as it was stamped in the fender it would just be backwards