Lead connection at sail panel to roof

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

Lead connection at sail panel to roof

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I had noticed a hairline crack at the bond line between the lead and the steel at the. Roof to sail panel commection.
Other than that the lead looks good.
Should i completely remove the lead,using heat
Or should i grind the lead back in depth (while wearing a respirator)and use a body filler which hopefully would be more resistant to cracking.I was thinking of grinding it back 1/8 inch
Even with leads low melting point I worry about adding sufficient heat to wash the lead out.
And really is it necessary .other than the haurline crack it looks solid

Loner

Re: Lead connection at sail panel to roof

Post by Loner »

The crack has to be takin down to the steel or it will just crack again. You only need to use a hand file for this. Best to use some metal to metal filler to put it back.
Make sure you use some metal prep before paint or you paint won't stick to the lead as well as it could.

Matt

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:I had noticed a hairline crack at the bond line between the lead and the steel at the. Roof to sail panel commection.
Other than that the lead looks good.
Should i completely remove the lead,using heat
Or should i grind the lead back in depth (while wearing a respirator)and use a body filler which hopefully would be more resistant to cracking.I was thinking of grinding it back 1/8 inch
Even with leads low melting point I worry about adding sufficient heat to wash the lead out.
And really is it necessary .other than the haurline crack it looks solid
I would completely remove the lead, to at least check the seam. If the spot welds popped or aren't holding the seam tight it will just crack again. Hairline crack at surface could be worse underneath?

On mine I grinded the lead out completely, then welded the seam. After grinding the weld I used epoxy primer, then duraglass to level area, then epoxy over the glass.

I am putting a 4 speed in mine with hopefully around 400hp. Even though mine wasn't cracked wanted to make sure it wouldn't crack later.

Over the years seen more than a few cars with cracks on the sail/roof panel joint. Seems to be a flexing point ESP on unibody cars, even worse with manual trans, or higher hp.

The Comet hardtops have thinner sails and IMO would be more prone to cracking than a sedan with the larger sail and the added post.

Lou

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Mine is cracked there too. When I paint it again sometime in the future I'll be removing the lead and welding the seam.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Loner

Post by Loner »

Lead is the way to go if you can find someone that knows how to do it. They use lead becuse it gives just a bit. It is best if you just take the
crack down with a file first and then if the seam has came apart remove the rest of the lead. Then spot weld it back if you weld it soild and it starts to crack it will crack the across the whole weld for sure. If it is spot welded one might crack but the next one might hold and stop the crack.
Lou might be on to something that I know nothing about. I would do some research on it before I tried it his way. Or maybe he can explain why he did it this way. Personally I would be afraid it would crack but I could be wrong. Interesting stuff.

Matt

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Loner wrote:Lead is the way to go if you can find someone that knows how to do it. They use lead becuse it gives just a bit. It is best if you just take the
crack down with a file first and then if the seam has came apart remove the rest of the lead. Then spot weld it back if you weld it soild and it starts to crack it will crack the across the whole weld for sure. If it is spot welded one might crack but the next one might hold and stop the crack.
Lou might be on to something that I know nothing about. I would do some research on it before I tried it his way. Or maybe he can explain why he did it this way. Personally I would be afraid it would crack but I could be wrong. Interesting stuff.

Matt
Matt is right lead flexes more, basically why they used it. Plus quality body fillers really weren't available then. But the new fillers flex well too. Over the years I have seen both crack though. For example this thread the cracks are in lead. From experience if you are getting cracks something underneath is probably causing it.

Lead requires more work and talent, not really for amateurs. Requires tinning first, more heat, needs filed, etc. filler much easier. And filler done right doesn't crack. Just as lead done right doesn't.

Here is picture from my build thread of my sail/roof seam with the lead taken out.

As you can see not welded very well, more welds on bottom of seam and nothing in top 1.5-2".

Here is a picture of other side after I welded it. I didn't weld it solid, stitch welded it. Although wouldn't have a problem with welding it solid. By filling in the spots between the stitches. I would not just run a continuous solid weld across it though.

I also welded the seams on the inside or roof/sail, and cross braces and such, (actually stitch welded every seam I could on whole car).

After I grinded the welds I sandblasted them, hit it with 80 grit, and then sprayed epoxy before doing my filler.

Mine is not on the road but don't see it cracking in the future. Done more than a few cars like this and haven't seen any of them crack. Even on a BB 4 speed Camaro I did for a buddy years ago,

Lou

Loner

Post by Loner »

Cool stuff Lou :roll: thanks for posting

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Is there more lead at the connection where the rear quarter and the the base of the sail and the are between the trunk and window intersect .About where those 2 chrome trim pieces sit ?