New stock fuel tank or fuel cell?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

New stock fuel tank or fuel cell?

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

For my complete rebuild I have decided to go fuel injection ,i havent completly decided on which brand but most likely
FI Tech since its affordable
And since my old fuel tank needed replacing i wonder if it would be best to go with a fuel cell.
Rather than a stock replacement
Pros that i can see
i can easily install a submersible electric pump in the fuel cell and can get a sending unit matched to whatever gauges I buy
I have been contemplating putting a billet style fuel fill just behind the sail panel
See my post fuel fill relocation

one concern i have is proper venting without stinking up my enclosed garage
How is the stock tank vented and do they smell
What do i need to know if i stick with a stock tank and sender and interfacing to an after market fuel gauge
Your thoughts on the whole modernization thing is appreciated

loman

Re: New stock fuel tank or fuel cell?

Post by loman »

On a 65, the gas cap is vented. As for the gauges make sure it is compatible to the ford sending unit. Different manufactures use different resistance levels/ranges from empty to full. I'm sure someone else will give you a better explanation.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Ford gas tank senders in the early years for many models other than falcon were all 10 to 70 ohm. That makes them compatible with most all gauges. Only difference is the length of the tubes which didn't vary much, and the angle they mount.
Ron

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:For my complete rebuild I have decided to go fuel injection ,i havent completly decided on which brand but most likely
FI Tech since its affordable
And since my old fuel tank needed replacing i wonder if it would be best to go with a fuel cell.
Rather than a stock replacement
Pros that i can see
i can easily install a submersible electric pump in the fuel cell and can get a sending unit matched to whatever gauges I buy
I have been contemplating putting a billet style fuel fill just behind the sail panel
See my post fuel fill relocation

one concern i have is proper venting without stinking up my enclosed garage
How is the stock tank vented and do they smell
What do i need to know if i stick with a stock tank and sender and interfacing to an after market fuel gauge
Your thoughts on the whole modernization thing is appreciated
IMO go with a fuel cell. Cell will have provisions for feed, return and vent lines.with a vented cap you may have smell. With a vent on the cell you have options to deal with the smell. Such as charcoal canisters, or a vent/baffle.

Does the FITech FI use a return line? From a quick look at their (FITech) instructions on Summit if you use their fuel Command no return line needed, but need to run lower pressure carburetor fuel pump. If you use a high pressure pump you need a return line. Most in tank pumps are for FI not carb. If you want to run a fuel injection in tank pump(higher pressure) you can't use the fuel command and would need a return line.

The fuel cell will give you more options than a factory tank. And the ability to change things (now or in the future) if need be without the modifications a stock tank would need.

The sending unit/aftermarket gauge thing. As long as they match, same ohm range you should be good. If you want the same as ford had Ron gave you the ohm range make sure the sender and gauge have that ohm range. I have a GM style gauge just because my fuel cell came with a sender that had the GM ohm range.

Lou

StPro

Post by StPro »

I have heard good things about Fi Tech. I haven’t used one . My Son has one on order. He is complaining they have been on backorder now for a while. I have a fast EZ-EFI on my 78 F350 and I have played with Holly Terminator, Fast XFI,BigStuff3 and Megasquirt. I am in the process of installing a mega squirt on my MarkVIII It is just not real high on my priorities right now.
Have you decided if you are going to run a fuel system with or without a return line. I have seen several pump systems now that you can just cut a hole and mount in any stock type tank. The ribs in the tank won’t matter. A fuel well for the pump is handy stock type tanks due to fuel slosh with EFI. EFI does not like air in the fuel line.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Now that my 4 link is sorted out and it wont intrfere with the stock tank ,i have decided i can run and have ordered a new stock tank and sender off of ebay for my 65 before they are no longer available
I would like to run one of the stainless ones made for the mustang at 1/2 the price or the tanksinc one for the mustang that you can get ready made with their PH4 submerged pump installed
Alas nothing is easy about the 65 as their gas tank is narrow and long vs short and wide.in comparison to the others
Which would neccesitate more body mods..i like mods dont get me wrong ..but i want to start moving more fwd than back on this build.. Therefore i will use fitech injection with the stock tank ,i like Fitechs fuel commader unit with the exception of it cluttering my engine compartment ..so i am going to use tankincs pH4 submersible pump.Because of the ribbed top of the stock tank i will have to weld in a cup of sorts for the fuel pump to sit in.i will use the stock sender rather than have to fill up another hole,and it will be compatible with my gauges..i will also make sure to use a vented gas cap.and a fuel regulator and filter plus cap the stock sender port

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You may pick up a pointer or 2 from Fred he has done his & then re did it with a stock tank somewhere in his thread for a FI v6.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =25&t=1288
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Good choice on the submersable pump on EFI. They run cooler and last longer than the external pumps.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:You may pick up a pointer or 2 from Fred he has done his & then re did it with a stock tank somewhere in his thread for a FI v6.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =25&t=1288
I did this tank thing twice,, I didn't want to cut up the tank and too cheap to buy a frame mount pump.
The first one had an issue or two then came up with this. Pics on pages 18-20 of above link.
This is a little complicated (like most of what I do,,,) but some of the ideas may help.
You could use the stock fuel pickup for the return line on the EFI,,?
The cover plate on the aluminum tank could be mounted to the side of your stock tank and the fittings used to get the fuel out and the electric in,,,,,,,,,,,
DAMIT, now I have to redo mine!!!!!!!!!!!
so another project,,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about