64 quarters that won't cost my first born?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Conceptchris

64 quarters that won't cost my first born?

Post by Conceptchris »

Hey everyone, I know this has been a popular topic, but I am running out of places to turn. I have a 4-door '64 that has been in the family since I was a kid. It runs and drives great and is 100% original, except for the rusted out rear fender lips and quarters. This is a base model, 6-cylinder, radio delete, 9" brake kind of car and is just not worth putting a few grand into in the overall scheme of life (and to the wife). I want this to be something that I can drive and be proud of, but not a show car by any means. I have found a couple of sets of quarters, but when its all said and done, the cost just to get them to me in Indiana is nearing $2K. Too rich for my blood. I found a guy on ebay parting out a car and asked him about the quarters. He said there was enough to work with left and the pictures showed the same, so I bought them for $100 plus shipping. They are much worse than pictures indicated and not even worth my time to try and clean up to weld. However, the pattern is there. So my question is: is there a way for a fabricator to use what I have as a pattern to make new ones or am I just stuck with the option of paying an outrageous price for what is still out there? I have a number for a guy in New York that used to make fiberglass quarters, but it looks like his website and phone # are no longer in service and he's dropped off the planet.

Any suggestions for a motivated car guy on a tight budget?
Thanks everyone in advance
chris

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 64 quarters that won't cost my first born?

Post by lavron »

Chris, I wish I had the answer. Most likely I will be making something myself when the time comes unless I find something really, really cheap before then, I don't think you will find a replacement panel very cheap for a one year car that doesn't share it's panels with any other car, it is not worth the effort for what little they will make.

While there are good ones out there (advertised on this forum as well) for someone like you and me that is not doing a restoration and not the most desirable model you can rapidly surpass the value of your car just for a set of quarters (well I don't have a value on my Comet, so money is not really a deciding factor against doing so) I think you know what I mean, a few hundred might be ok for good ones but a few thousand is out of the question.

JMO

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Back when I got my car in 2001, my friends dad (who was a body man in another life) made quarter panel patches. This winter I may be attempting it myself, as they're rusted out again. Even if I could find a pair in Canada that were in good shape, I likely wouldn't be able to afford them. Another option is grafting in quarters from another car that does have patches available, but I'm not too fond of that look (JMO), no offense to anyone who has done that!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Conceptchris

Post by Conceptchris »

Mike, thanks for the understanding there. Like you, my Comet is priceless, I couldn't ever sell it for enough to replace the Comet sized hole it would leave :| . I thought about trying to graft in falcon quarters and then doing some sculpting work with kitty hair and fiberglass to create the correct fender lip and at least have a metal backbone in there. Right now my fender lips are nonexistent, and I don't really want to have a rusty base that will just fall apart ten years down the road. I will post back with whatever happens and share pictures and ideas if I have any revelations.
Thank you both for your responses

scottyta

Post by scottyta »

anyone know if ranchero quarters are anything close to 64 comet quarters? Or possibly 64 comet 4 door quarters?

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

scottyta wrote:anyone know if ranchero quarters are anything close to 64 comet quarters? Or possibly 64 comet 4 door quarters?
4-door Comet quarters will work if you can find a good set, just a little extra work but better than nothing.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I have a NOS set of 4dr 1/4s

ALANBERKEY

Post by ALANBERKEY »

I GOT A SET OF FIBERGLASS QUARTER REPAIR PANELS FROM AC COMET PARTS IN LONG ISLAND ,VERY NICE PANELS ,WORKED GREAT . THERE EMAIL IS acautoronk@aol.com