HOK Tangerine Kandy prices

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Lip Ripper

HOK Tangerine Kandy prices

Post by Lip Ripper »

This is a 4 stage process. First is the silver metallic sealer. Then comes the money in the middle. Are you ready? The pale gold base (3 coat's recommended) is $229 a quart or $916 per gallon. The Tangerine Kandy is $85 per quart or on $340 per gallon. And then of course the layer's of clear over that plus the various support catalyst's and reducer's. Whew, I guess I won't be parking at Publix for a 6 pack, better take the truck.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Re: HOK Tangerine Kandy prices

Post by poboyjo65 »

Whew! That would change my mind on color! That little car looks good in grey & black! :lol:
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Paint is not cheap!! I am going with just straight black and will still have around $2K for the color and clear, not counting what I already spent on epoxy, surfacer ,etc. Then even tape at $5-$10 a roll

4 stage, going to be tricky to match, if needs repaired later. Keeping a record on the paint process would be good if you need to repair later. Booth temp, gun air pressure, # of coats of each, mix ratio of paint, reducer/catalyst temp ranges, etc.

I have never used HOK but know it is pricey, my supplier has PPG. They have Radiance II, which are their Candy colors. It is only 3 stage. Used it a lot but it is about the same as HOK price wise,about $150 a pint for base, tint is a little cheaper. Then you pick your clear. Bought a gallon of clear couple weeks ago, with catalyst and reducer it was a little over $500 for a gallon setup.

Your car is going to look great in tangerine !!

Lou

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

$500 for the clear? Ever tried their Shopline? I know that is what my paint guy uses.

And I won't be laying this paint. My paint guy has been spraying for 40 year's or more and really knows his stuff about these paint's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Paint is not cheap,,,, and add 35-50 % onto US prices if you live in Canada!!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

No doubt I'll be going to Maaco!!! Where is Earl Shieb when you need him? Andy

caseville cyclone

No doubt I'll be going to Maaco!!! Where is Earl Shieb when you need him? Andy

caseville cyclone

OK Andy, once was enough,fat fingers.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Lip Ripper wrote:$500 for the clear? Ever tried their Shopline? I know that is what my paint guy uses.

And I won't be laying this paint. My paint guy has been spraying for 40 year's or more and really knows his stuff about these paint's.
Yes I have used Shopline, when I was working at a Ford dealer we used Shopline on the used cars and wholesale stuff. Sprays nice, looks good, and priced right

My supplier doesn't have Shopline, I think you need to be a Platinum Dealer to sell it. My supplier has the PPG Omni brand which is similar if not the same as Shopline. Been told same stuff just different labels. Omni seems a little better to me and cost a little more but may be the same stuff, haven't used Shopline since 2009. I use Omni production clear on most of the stuff I do because of price.(less than $200 for a gal setup) Nice stuff, lays on smooth as glass. Looks good.

The problem with Omni and Shopline is they don't have the UV protection or the durability the Deltron clear has. They are the economy/mid line clears and last 5 or so years. Have seen failure in both over the years, after about 5 years or so they start to have issues, peeling, bubbling, delaminating, etc.

Now I have went back and forth between using the cheaper clear vs the Deltron. The cheaper clear looks great when done. Here is a off brand I did with the cheaper clear..

Looks great, so I have no problem with the appearance. But I am worried about it lasting. Plan on keeping my Comet for many years and would really be bummed if I had to repaint it in 4-6 years. Plus it would cost me more for materials to redo it plus the time, than what I would save with the cheaper clear.

Again was on the fence between the clears for awhile, did do the underneath of my car with Omni. But have decided to go with the good stuff when I paint it.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:Paint is not cheap,,,, and add 35-50 % onto US prices if you live in Canada!!!

Wow,, that sucks!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou's Comet wrote:
SASSY wrote:Paint is not cheap,,,, and add 35-50 % onto US prices if you live in Canada!!!

Wow,, that sucks!
Most of that is dollar exchange. The dollar is trading around 75cents now but by the time the bank gets finished with ya your in the mid to high 60s,,, :roll:
But we're used to it, used to be anything we seen in the mags would be double by the time we had it in our hand.
Probably anybody, anywhere outside the US thinks you have it pretty good,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Lip Ripper wrote:This is a 4 stage process. First is the silver metallic sealer. Then comes the money in the middle. Are you ready? The pale gold base (3 coat's recommended) is $229 a quart or $916 per gallon. The Tangerine Kandy is $85 per quart or on $340 per gallon. And then of course the layer's of clear over that plus the various support catalyst's and reducer's. Whew, I guess I won't be parking at Publix for a 6 pack, better take the truck.

Stacey
6-pack?? Pffft..get 'em 30 at a time (saves trips)..! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

albert

Post by albert »

One of my car club members just finished painting his 51 Ford Victoria in a two tone of white and that tangerine candy color. I saw the paint and it is really striking and nice. He said it cost him $3700 for the paint and he got a special cost price from a friend that owns a body shop. These prices are crazy.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Beautiful black.

Interesting about the UV inhibitor's. My Cyclone has the Shopline but it stay's inside and looks as good as it did when laid in 09. Now, my wife has the delam issue on a fender repair and I think it was inside of that 5 year window due to the Fl. sun. The paint supplier I got the house of Kolor from just brought in UPOL clear. Any experience with it? And I didn't know Ditzler was still around.

SW

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Beautiful black.

Interesting about the UV inhibitor's. My Cyclone has the Shopline but it stay's inside and looks as good as it did when laid in 09. Now, my wife has the delam issue on a fender repair and I think it was inside of that 5 year window due to the Fl. sun. The paint supplier I got the house of Kolor from just brought in UPOL clear. Any experience with it? And I didn't know Ditzler was still around.

SW
Thanks.

If the falcon is going to stay inside then you will prob be good with the Shopline. Talked to my paint guy today and he said Shopline and Omni same stuff different labels. Omni has a "plus" line....Omni Plus, he said the clear in the plus line has better uv protection, and the way he talked Shopline also has a plus line, maybe that may be a option.

I really like the Omni clear for the price it looks great, it is just the lack of uv protection that has me worried on my Comet. I did My fiancé's car about 6 years ago and it is peeling. Now car sits outside all the time and she doesn't really wash it much, so I kind of blamed her a little. But recently I redid a Subie that I did about the same time6 years or so ago. They kept the car nice, wash and waxed it all the time, but still sat outside most of the time and it peeled also. Both cars were painted with Omni Got me a little worried kwim?

Years ago I did a RS/SS for a friend, used Deltron. Car was garaged first couple years. Then he got married...had kids...and etc. car got put outside and just sat in the yard for like 5+ years, until he decided to just sell it. Brought it to me to clean up for sale and after a quick buff the car looked like it was just painted. The stuff does hold up.

Ditzler was bought by PPG in the late 20's although they were named Pittsburgh Plate Glass back then. They continued to sell the paint using the Ditzler name until sometime in the 80's I think, when they changed their name to PPG. Then they phased out the ditzler name and just called it PPG. They kept the Deltron name for the top shelf stuff and think they kept a few other names of their different lines of paint like Delstar for enamel.

Never used UPOL, my supplier can get it but he said doesn't really sell much of it. If your guy is use to the PPG Shopline I would ask him about their plus line, might be a good compromise for ya.

Lou