Discussions about general body work and modifications
captian_napalm

dash removal

Post by captian_napalm »

is the dash in a 62 comet bolted in? I need to get behind it to fix some rust

Comechero65

Re: dash removal

Post by Comechero65 »

If it's like later comets and falcons it welded in place. Probably lots of spot welds. the dash is actually part of the bodies strength. You could remove it but it's going to take a lot of drilling of spot welds. windshield will need to be removed first.
Ron

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I've seen posts where people have removed the cowl between the windshield and hood to access rust repair.
That would get you to the panel ahead of the dash where the air vents are located.
What is your rust issue?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

well that helps. I have rot right next to the cowl vent on the drivers side. looks like the fenders, bumper, and grille need to be removed..?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

captian_napalm wrote:well that helps. I have rot right next to the cowl vent on the drivers side. looks like the fenders, bumper, and grille need to be removed..?
You just have to get the cowl top off to get to the bad areas. the windshield has to come out as there ara spot welds along the lower lip. Dash does not need to come out.

It is possible open up the cowl on both ends after removing the the fenders. A lot of repair or cleanup can be done through those openings. I did that years ago opened up both ends and was able to do some cleanup and resealing and repainting through those openings. Didn't have any leaks but was just doing preventive maintenance. Tedious and took some time but it beat removing the whole cowl. Don't have to worry now. I also keep a removable cowl cover on much of the time to keep debris and crap from the trees out. also keeps the water out too.
Ron

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Yep, cut the cowl under the fender's, fix the rot then weld it back in. That is where the floorboard rot usually comes from; the water leaking down from the rotted cowl.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Groover

Post by Groover »

1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

That's how you do it. You can cut even more of the top for better access. Once you are done nobody will ever know you had it opened up like that. Sure beats drilling all those spot welds.
Ron