Problem with headliner material shrinking

Discussions about general body work and modifications
redhotcomet

Problem with headliner material shrinking

Post by redhotcomet »

I've got a problem with the headliner in my 64 hardtop. The headliner is in great condition except for the section between the rearmost bow and the rear window. It seems to be shrinking and pulling itself off. Its pretty stiff and seems brittle too. I believe its the original headliner. I would spring for a new one, but its not the the financial cards right now. I was wondering if there was some potion that would soften it up and maybe let it stretch back to its original size. Something like pine-sol for rubber parts. Its been getting worse since I've owned the car, at first it was only a small section, now its nearly the shrunk across the whole width of the roof. I will grab a picture later today.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Re: Problem with headliner material shrinking

Post by poboyjo65 »

Most 64's have the hard type liner with separate sections. If this is the cloth type, like 65's have ,I have a sneaking suspicion, just because of some recent pics I took, that the reason it did that is because it may have been installed without a couple of wires, or they failed. check out this pic with a hooked wire near the rear window ,& probably another one on the other side. looks to be the right distance to the holes in the sides for the bows, to hold the bows in place. & without them ,riding with the windows down may be pulling it out of the rear window seal. But keep in mind I'm guessing here. (clickin & clackin groover!)

Imagefree upload pictures
Johno

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. It seems that the vinyl is glue onto a hardboard backing. I suppose maybe if I could find some material to match I could glue it onto the hardboard in the one section thats failing?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks like they cut the material a litttle too short. I would have thought it would have been folded back behind the hard backing. Do you think it would stretch back to where it needs to go ?
of course that bow would have to come off.

How about a red section across there? or checkerboard? I'd rather have a section that looked like a purposeful design than something that is a shade off.
Johno

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

It won't stretch back to its original size without some help. Its pretty dry and brittle. Is the headliner backing more than one piece? I've never had it apart. I'm sure I could come up with something that looks better than it does right now, but if someone knew of a simple solution I'd be glad to hear it!

When I bought the car the C pillar covers were missing so I made some. I made the backing out of hardboard and cut some material out of a car I found the in the wrecking yard years ago. They turned out ok. Could be better. Maybe I'll just have to save up for a new headliner! :roll:

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Near the bottom of the page are a couple of pics of my headliner half apart.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... &start=315
I think the only way to get it decent is to replace it cause where your issue is it is glued to the car and the pieces are sewn together.
Near bottom of page agqain
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... &start=330
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I read somewhere that glycerine can soften up vinyl. If I can locate some, I'll give it a try. I don't think it could possibly hurt it.