Adding 63 springs to a 62 bracing question

Discussions about general body work and modifications
sgtfixit

Adding 63 springs to a 62 bracing question

Post by sgtfixit »

Greetings all...

I know I don't post much, but since I've got the wife's 62 back in the garage, it should be full steam ahead!!! I've a question for you and hope for some guidance...

I've installed 63 hood hinges on the 62 and am getting alot of flex out of the 62 hood. How do I combat this? Is there a simple way to brace the attachment points? the hood is not in the best shape, but it was all I could find. The bracing under the hood does not appear to make much contact with the inner hood skin either (don't know if that is normal or not?) I was contemplating adding sheet metal between the brace and the inner hood where the hinges mate and along the right and left sides to the inside of the original hood bracing, by riveting them in place but do not want anything protruding through the hood.

If there is a better way...please point me there.

Thank you
62 Comet 4dr Base...Current PROJECT...wife's car..intalling 200 6cyl and a T-5.
OTHER
2011 Victory Cross Country (M/C) always needs wash and wax
1997 Ford F150 4X4

popscomet

Re: Adding 63 springs to a 62 bracing question

Post by popscomet »

WAS it not uncommon yrs ago,to see a strip of thick fiber brd between the brace and the hood, it was used for strength and hold down bad vib's...it was kinda like a spacer,,,
pop/glenda

sgtfixit

Post by sgtfixit »

Thank you Pop,
I may give it a try. I've got some masonite left over from another door project.
OTHER
1997 Ford F150 4X4

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Ya better treat it for termites with polyurethane or something for moisture too, or it might swell.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

wonder what that stuff was the factory used?....Masonite will work to see if that fixes it ,then you might find something better...good-luck !! OL POP,knows you'll get it...
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I took the springs off my hood hinges on my comet and use a nice prop rod,,as I have a glass hood from crites,,,,,,,and also on wife's 56 ford hood,all the braces were removed from under it when it had almost 200 louvers punched in it,thus making it real flimsy,so also I use a nice prop rod,instead of springs......
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I dont know if new hinges would do it, but old ones with slop in them will set different with springs than without. & may not adjust proper , I trouble with mind with the original hood without springs & the fiber glass hood without springs. I finally found a semi-happy medium on the adjustment of how it sat, high & low, on the glass hood. If I ever paint the car I may try harder. :roll: This probably dont help your trouble but it crossed my mind & so I'm throwing it out here before I forget it! :roll:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you may have to take a round file and touch up the bolt hole slots in the hinges,,,,unless it has already been tried..if so dis- regard.... :wink:
pop/glenda

sgtfixit

Post by sgtfixit »

I appreciate the advice...a little lube on the hinges and it gets better. I'll keep y'all updated
OTHER
1997 Ford F150 4X4

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sgtfixit wrote:I appreciate the advice...a little lube on the hinges and it gets better. I'll keep y'all updated
WELL,with that being said...we all know things work better well lubed up :!: :shock: :wink: ,,,,but so many people just lube the contact points,,but they forget to oil the springs themselves,,,,,and their contact points.....I always coat the springs with a film of lube s well as the hinges themselves..jmo and a very old wrench twister from way back in the day,,when POP's white hair was very dark.. 8) :)
pop/glenda