65 Front Fender Removal

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Flintlock

65 Front Fender Removal

Post by Flintlock »

I need to remove the front fenders on my 65 to clean out and seal my cowl area. I haven't ever taken these off before. Is there any certain order or removal tricks I need to know to take these off correctly?

Thanks!
Flintlock

poboyjo65

Re: 65 Front Fender Removal

Post by poboyjo65 »

There is a hidden fastener .remove the kick panel inside the car & in one of the holes is a nut on a stud, about midway between top & bottom. it may be easier to use a mirror & a flashlight to see it unless you are young & bendable. :lol: after you find it you can do it by feel ,,unless you are young & anxious,& if so you you can just stand on your head until you get it out !!! :lol:

Btw, use penetrating oil & give it some soak time. I had one gall up & it was a pain to saw it off. it is kind of a clip on stud ,,I think mine started spinning when it galled, & when I was trying to saw it kept spinning. it took a lot of cuss words to get thru it. :roll: but new ones are available.
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

You should find a rubber plug behind the kick panel and the nut is about 4 inches behind that. That one was easy for me compaired to the bolts on the front of the fenders. There is one or two that are a pain to get out. Spray all of them with WD-40 or whatever you use before hand. Removing the bumper also helps a lot no need to scratch things up. The holes for cleaning out the cowl area are small but a leaf blower will get most of it.

Good luck,Matt

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Thanks guys - just the type of info I was looking for. Already got one side off with no major hassles other than the normal rusted up bolts. :D :D :D