Surface rust on undercarriage

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Boatmangc

Surface rust on undercarriage

Post by Boatmangc »

My newly acquired 67 Caliente arrives this weekend.
Before i made the purchase i took it to a shop an dput it on a lift. The undercarriage is solid! No rust throuhg or repairs anywhere but there is some light surface rust here and there.
My plan o stomise a rust converter i have ised in the past called Corroseal. It works fairly well but I am intrigued by some of the Eastwood products.
Has anyone done anyhting like spraying the entire undercarriage with something like these type of products?
How much cleanup did you do prior?
To my knowledge this car hasn't been wet in about 2 years and I'm not crazy about hitting it with a waterhose or pressure washer.
1967 Caliente Hardtop Small Block
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Surface rust on undercarriage

Post by A/FX »

If you must coat the undercarriage I would recommend the products made by KBS. https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealers.html
I have used a number of their products with great results. Make sure the surface is clean and free of lose paint etc.
They offer a chassis black coating that is very good, read the instructions carefully. This stuff is very potent, the only thing that will remove it from your skin is time.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

Ordered the KBS stuff, the reviews were great.
I hate to coat it but I would hate to see it start rusting more.
Living in the Florida Keys there is always salt in the air.
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

I put the KBS coating on, all I can say is wow! It looks like a million bucks.
I hated to do it as the underneath of this car was really clean, there were still all the chalk marks on the floor pans after I scrubbed it down but I have no regrets going forward I know she will be protected.

Eventually I will post pics. I'm just getting back to my car passions after a rough year.
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Which KBS product/kit did you use?
Jim

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

I bought the frame coater kit in satin black
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

z28summit

Post by z28summit »

Corraseal works well if you have any surface rust. Converts and seals any rust and turns black and turns into a primer so you can coat it

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

What mile marker?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Boatmangc wrote:I put the KBS coating on, all I can say is wow! It looks like a million bucks.
I hated to do it as the underneath of this car was really clean, there were still all the chalk marks on the floor pans after I scrubbed it down but I have no regrets going forward I know she will be protected.

Eventually I will post pics. I'm just getting back to my car passions after a rough year.
Yeah.....That stuff does look good and YOU know how nice the bottom was to start but,down the road,for one reason or another,guys are going to crawl under there and wonder what you are trying to hide. Everybody plans on keeping driver cars forever but things change sometimes. In my opinion,you should have tried to keep it original.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I was tempted at first to cover the under side of OL RED yrs ago when I redid it,but it looked so good factory original that I just washed it with some strong cleaner from the railroad,and ever since I wash it a few times a year while on my lift,with a power washer,,,as I do all my trucks and wife's cars ,it's just a personal thing with me to keep them clean on the bottom side,not painted,,wife's 93 5.0 mustang still looks new under neath as well as my 91 ranger pu,,the trans in both are still kinda shinny and clean as all cross members and frt ends and also under the hoods,,my 77 bronco and 88 4whl dr PU that I take off road to deer camp get a power wash often,,my 78 f350 dually flatbed is the hardest,I have to lay under it or beside it on the pavement to wash it,,it's done only in warm weather cause I get wet,,all the others go on the lift but I still get wet,but not as bad ,so they get it year long...like I said it's a personal thing to always keep them so clean,,and I have had a lift way before they were popular,not many had one yrs ago when I got it..and it has always been outside mainly for washing,,Wednesday I went to ABF TRUCK TERM and picked up a new 4post my son bought to go inside the shop...so reckon all knows what we will be doing this week end....it's a bendpac 9,000 lb certified ,so it ought to do the trick,,,,thanks POP
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Bend Pak makes good stuff.

And how many registered vehicles do you have Pop?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Bend Pak makes good stuff.

And how many registered vehicles do you have Pop?
I have 4pu's,altho the ranger is waiting on a clutch,my f350 flatbed,I think it has sucked an intake gasket cause it started smokeing bad off 1 side and my comet,and then the bronco,,I get tired of driving the samething everyday,,,I've had them for a very long time,,I don't care about owning a new truck,I like old stuff,,,GLENDA,has her camry only because it has 4doors and that helps with the car seat for this 3yr grt grd son,her 93stang and her 56 ford,,,,after OL RUSTY gets street legal and we complete the COBRA project I'll have 2 more,,I bought the FACTORY FIVE COBRA KIT CAR over 20 yrs ago,have just kept it waiting on the right time in life to build it..it's now that time...bought OL rusty close to 25 yrs ago,got the pro street rear end under it about 22 yrs ago ,then it sat waiting ,then this year it came full circle to the point it is today.POP is one of those old boys that knew early in life what he wanted and I worked and worked and with the help of the good LORD made it happen,,I saw GLENDA when I was 16,,married her when I was 18,next april will mark 52 yrs we have been married,,I told her early that I wanted a car collection(all fords) but I'll never have the money to buy it,so I'll have to work and build it slowly,,and with her help and this son we have ,it's coming around,but of course I never ever leave out the grace of the good LORD,,,I have a few more cars that I have not mentioned,,like GLENDA'S mercury cougar xr7 sitting over at the old place(that I bought when I was 19) son lives there,,it is an 1986 with 131,000 mi,,she just parked it when I bought the stang , cause it was faster then XR7,,there is also a 63 Fairlane 260 standard shift with 60,000 act miles over there also,but it's a four door and just never tripped my trigger,the motor is out of it,I have a 5 bolt 289 that would go right in it,,,so being retired and as healthy as I am ,I can stay busy and I do at times...SORRY for going on and on,,sometimes OL POP just gets carried away,,thank you for taking the time to read this stuff.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I forgot my 1984 mercury capri 5.0 5spd and the 1951 ford 2dr V8 flathead with over-drive,with flames and side pipes and chrome reverse whls that I fixed up for my oldest grd son 8th birthday,,,,,22 yrs ago,,,,he's 30 now....I;ve always looked into the future and tried to plan ahead.....POP always talks about his son DWAYNE...I ALSO have a daughter AMANDA,just in case some didn't know that...we married so young and I wanted 2 kids right away and was blessed with 1 of each,,,us 4 grew up together and have had a good life ,,POP is a very blessed man.....thanks......now let's get back on surface rust...pop
pop/glenda