Floor rot suggestions

Discussions about general body work and modifications
mercuryman

Floor rot suggestions

Post by mercuryman »

Hi Guy`s. I have issues with the floor on my 65. Pics are from under the rear seat. i don`t see where replacement pans are offered in the aftermarket world. Is this true? If so, what do you suggest. I brushed por15 on them a few years back but now I want to replace them. I`m guessing there will be some fab work here :| If anyone can share some pics of their work that would be great :D

poboyjo65

Re: Floor rot suggestions

Post by poboyjo65 »

there is a complete floorpan now available, that has all the way back to the seam. if you need them all this is a good option, but if only what is pictured I would just make my own. if you can see pb pics there are some photobucket pics of mine in ''poboyjo's ride'' in ''64-65 comets'' section, ''Lou's comet'' is in 64-65 comets, with great pics. several build threads in there & in the ''showing out'' section, most guys have some patching going on.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A few pictures of how I did mine. Made templets first the made the pieces. Have more pictures, floor cutout and inside torque box, etc, if you need them.

I build the frame connectors into my floor.

Lou

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Lou,we did the frame connectors like yours. When welded to the toe board and the front sub frame,the connectors ended up directly below the brake pedal which caused some difficulty operating the brakes. It's not terrible but it does cause some problems. It may not be a problem in your case but in ours,offsetting the pedal to the right...too close to the gas pedal.To the left,you end up with left foot braking.We ended up dropping the connector below the floor board at the front of the seat and rewelding it to the subframe on the bottom.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

vicegrip wrote:Lou,we did the frame connectors like yours. When welded to the toe board and the front sub frame,the connectors ended up directly below the brake pedal which caused some difficulty operating the brakes. It's not terrible but it does cause some problems. It may not be a problem in your case but in ours,offsetting the pedal to the right...too close to the gas pedal.To the left,you end up with left foot braking.We ended up dropping the connector below the floor board at the front of the seat and rewelding it to the subframe on the bottom.
When I did mine i didn't really care about the connectors sticking up in the rear floor but wanted the front floor flat. I cut the front so the connector had a tongue like piece on top to weld to floor on top and welded the bottom of connector on the outside of front subframe rail on the bottom. Here is a picture of how I cut the connector in the front.

How it fits over the bottom of the subframe rail in front.

View from the top with the tongue of connector welded to floor

Couple pictures of floors and connectors done.

In epoxy.

And from the bottom after painted.

Lou

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Well here is what I did yesterday. Did some cuttin and bendin;

Groover

Post by Groover »

lookin good.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:lookin good.
I agree , it is looking good. & nice to admire work like this from afar , isn't it Groover?
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Groover wrote:lookin good.
I agree , it is looking good. & nice to admire work like this from afar , isn't it Groover?
yes sir, I do like to see other projects, but I don't long to lay on the floor on my back with a grinder and welder.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Whoops!!!! I may have goofed. I didnt bead roll the pans before i cut the sheet metal to fit the hole. Is it too late now? If I bead roll it now will it change the dimensions much?

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

mercuryman wrote:Whoops!!!! I may have goofed. I didnt bead roll the pans before i cut the sheet metal to fit the hole. Is it too late now? If I bead roll it now will it change the dimensions much?
No, putting some beads in it won't change the dimensions unless you are going around the edge, like a border or flange and even then not going to change it much.

Lou

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Lou's Comet wrote:
mercuryman wrote:Whoops!!!! I may have goofed. I didnt bead roll the pans before i cut the sheet metal to fit the hole. Is it too late now? If I bead roll it now will it change the dimensions much?
No, putting some beads in it won't change the dimensions unless you are going around the edge, like a border or flange and even then not going to change it much.

Lou
Phew. Thanks Lou. Ive been reading your build thread. Amazing work. The pics are fantastic.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

mercuryman wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:

Lou
Phew. Thanks Lou. Ive been reading your build thread. Amazing work. The pics are fantastic.
Thanks!
Wow surprised the pictures are still there, thought photbucket would have stopped that.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Wow surprised the pictures are still there, thought photbucket would have stopped that.
Lou
Lou if you have foxfire or chrome you can use this add on & see them again. I guess it dont help people looking at phones or using other browsers;
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=14746
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:
Lou
Lou if you have foxfire or chrome you can use this add on & see them again. I guess it dont help people looking at phones or using other browsers;
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=14746
Thanks John, I use a I Pad don't think there is a fix for it.

Lou