Fixing small dents in new paint

Discussions about general body work and modifications
tomb22

Fixing small dents in new paint

Post by tomb22 »

I just painted my car and missed fixing a couple of small dents in the cowl. I want to redo the cowl and I don't know how far down I have to sand before I can bondo. There is 4 coats of clear on top of 2 coats of base on top of sealer on top of build up primer on top of epoxy primer.
I would like to rough sand the spots and sand the whole cowl, then bondo and paint the spots and clear coat the whole cowl. Sounds easy enough but is it?
The 2 spots are small indentations about the size of a half dollar. I didn't see them until I rubbed out the paint there. I'm bummed.

If I ever did this again I would take pictures of all the spots that need fixing before having all the paint removed to repaint.
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Re: Fixing small dents in new paint

Post by Lou's Comet »

You can pretty much do that.

We use to put bondo over paint all the time when I worked at ford dealership. Your using the Platinum bondo?

Sand the area's you are going to bondo with 80 grit, you could prob get away with 120. Make sure you sand beyond where you are applying the bondo a little, you don't need to sand it off. Just enough for the bondo to bond/grip. Apply your bondo, sand smooth, if need be some finish putty. After area is repaired sand the rest of the cowl with say 600, then primer/surfacer your repair spots. Let primer set for day or two, longer the better, then sand primered areas with 600 to match rest of cowl. Paint your base (red) you only need to cover the primered areas but could do whole cowl if ya want, then clear, cut and buff.

Worse case scenario is it may shrink a little in time and show some sand scratches, but depending on how much clear you have on it they will prob cut and buff out.

Lou

tomb22

Re: Fixing small dents in new paint

Post by tomb22 »

Lou's Comet wrote:You can pretty much do that.

We use to put bondo over paint all the time when I worked at ford dealership. Your using the Platinum bondo?

Sand the area's you are going to bondo with 80 grit, you could prob get away with 120. Make sure you sand beyond where you are applying the bondo a little, you don't need to sand it off. Just enough for the bondo to bond/grip. Apply your bondo, sand smooth, if need be some finish putty. After area is repaired sand the rest of the cowl with say 600, then primer/surfacer your repair spots. Let primer set for day or two, longer the better, then sand primered areas with 600 to match rest of cowl. Paint your base (red) you only need to cover the primered areas but could do whole cowl if ya want, then clear, cut and buff.

Worse case scenario is it may shrink a little in time and show some sand scratches, but depending on how much clear you have on it they will prob cut and buff out.

Lou
Thanks Lou
I am using the Platinum. I feel very relieved after reading your post. I thought I might have to take it down to at least the epoxy primer.
tomb's 65