body filler for engine bay

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

body filler for engine bay

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I don't want to make my engine bay perfect but there are some places I wan to smooth out after banging them out.
I was wondering what kind of fillers to use that will hold up in that environment.My initial thoughts is to use on of the metal based epoxies. I was thinking 1/8 inch or less thickness

Lip Ripper

Re: body filler for engine bay

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'm a fan of Evercoat Metal Glaze for small stuff. And it doesn't take much hardener. It sets quickly.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lou's Comet

Re: body filler for engine bay

Post by Lou's Comet »

Not sure what you mean by metal based "epoxy"? If your talking about body fillers like All Metal, Metal to Metal, and that type. They are polyesters. And a good premium filler will work just as well, IMO actually better. But there are different opinions. But if you are worrying about the heat blistering it or doing weird things they are polyester just like a reg body filler.

I used 3M platinum filler in my engine compartment. Used it to smooth out the towers, mostly where I beat out the relief for the batt. Also on front aprons, mostly where I section the one where the batt shelf use to be. Will it get weird?? I doubt it, but honestly not absolutely sure. It is one tight engine compartment. With that being said I (and others I know) have used reg body filler in engine compartments before with no problems.

If you are going with a true epoxy type filler I would think it may be better but not sure. Prob be pretty expensive. I know the epoxy stuff for boats good bit more than the poly stuff.

I also used 3M 08115 panel adhesive in my engine compartment for sealing the seams. Not sure if it will get weird with the heat from engine but again doubt it.

Lou