Sound deadening matt

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

Sound deadening matt

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

What kind of acoustic matt have you guys tried.and how many square feet did you need for 1 car.
Its all really expensive for what it is
I was thinking of using thicker at the firewall. 1/8 and 1/16 on the floor pan
I suppose i would have carpet insulation aswell ?
I have some of the mylar foil bubble type heat insulation i was going to use on the roof to help keep the heat out or in depending on the season.I dont want it Mercedes quit but road trip tolerable

Lip Ripper

Re: Sound deadening matt

Post by Lip Ripper »

My neighbor and car builder uses the bubble foil stuff a lot. Gets it at Home Cheapo. I am going to try Devilguard on the Falcon but I'm weeks from being that far along. Waiting on the paint guys to get to me in now.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used the bubble foil stuff but I wish I would have got the firewall insulation that is made for it because I get heat from the engine even though I used 4 layers of the bubble foil on it. But it seems pretty good everywhere else I used it.
Johno

The Transplanter

Post by The Transplanter »

I use this stuff on all my projects http://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/ ... 3174-p.asp

I know its in the UK, but im sure you can find something similar Stateside!?

I use it on the floors, firewall, roof and inside the door & 1/4 panels, and it makes a hell of a difference

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I used the stuff from Summit, it installed well and one pack covered the whole floor. It comes in sheets 18X32,9 sheets for a total of 35 square feet. Thats enough for a complete floor and toe boards. I posted a picture of the installed mat on Andy's Interior. The box from Summit cost me about $160.00. Good luck!! Andy

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

IMO RAAMaudio is the best bang for the buck. 37.5 sq-ft $109. For the deadening mat. For $159 you get 37.5 sq-ft of the mat and 41 sq-ft of the foam thermal barrier.

I have used it in a few vehicles, very easy, didn't cut up my hands, sticks like no tomorrow! And makes a big difference with sound. I have also used the bubble/foil stuff you get at the swap meets. No comparison. The bubble/foil stuff does quiet the car down some from road and tire noise but not as much as the butyl type, and doesn't give it that "solid" ? Sound.

How much? Would depend on what level of quietness you want to achieve. 1 kit would make a noticeable difference. Doing the doors, rear sides, rear panel between backseat and trunk. If you want to also do floor and fire wall I would think two kits.

I really like the stuff. Talked to Rick the owner couple times. Real nice guy, he will help you decide how much you need, and answer any questions.

Lou

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

This is what I bought. Haven't installed just yet. And I see they have 100 sq. ft. for $140.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Mil-50SqFt-D ... ew&vxp=mtr
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Lip Ripper wrote:This is what I bought. Haven't installed just yet. And I see they have 100 sq. ft. for $140.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Mil-50SqFt-D ... ew&vxp=mtr

Wow,, sweet price!! I looked at the link and seen they said it is a "Mastic" compound. Curious anyone know what mastic compound is? Only asking because all the others seem to be butyl. Was also looking for weight, what it weighs per sq ft.

Something I may be interested in, thanks Ripper.

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I am thinking of going with 80 mil amazon has 50 sq ft for $104 Image
I am going to use a 3/4 inch piece of the Dynamat Hood insulation for inside my firewall probably over the 80 mil mat. On the mastic vs Butyl its about durometer(hardness) and consistency. Think of Mastic as Butyl that is in a putty form that you can roll up in a ball and is usually used for sealing. Mostly likely when they say Butyl they mean Butyl rubber Sheets which is most likely referring to sheet form.
It comes in different durometers just like foam does .Don't rely 100% on those terms as you can also get Butyl rubber sealant that comes In a caulking gun used for window sealant..I have never felt dynamat so I don't know what consistency that is .I just think its waaay overpriced for what it is and is riding high on its use in all the car magazines IMO

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I believe the guys above in my post sell the 80 mil too. "hellyeahaudio" is their ebay user name.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:I am thinking of going with 80 mil amazon has 50 sq ft for $104 Image
I am going to use a 3/4 inch piece of the Dynamat Hood insulation for inside my firewall probably over the 80 mil mat. On the mastic vs Butyl its about durometer(hardness) and consistency. Think of Mastic as Butyl that is in a putty form that you can roll up in a ball and is usually used for sealing. Mostly likely when they say Butyl they mean Butyl rubber Sheets which is most likely referring to sheet form.
It comes in different durometers just like foam does .Don't rely 100% on those terms as you can also get Butyl rubber sealant that comes In a caulking gun used for window sealant..I have never felt dynamat so I don't know what consistency that is .I just think its waaay overpriced for what it is and is riding high on its use in all the car magazines IMO

Thanks for the clarification on Mastic! I was thinking it may just be another term/description for asphalt.

The GtMat looks like a good deal, would be curious on the weight per sq ft.

Things I was looking for in sound deadening, ( in order of importance) I want butyl not asphalt base, weight/mass per sq foot, stickiness, ease of installation, and last but not least price.

Agree with Dynamat being pricey, but paying some for the name. The Dynamat has a more rigid aluminum than the stuff I use. Very easy to cut yourself, and not as easy to get into curves etc. stuck pretty good but they want you to use a roller and a heat gun helped with the curves. And it does work. I heard the Dynamat Extreme sticks better

I plan on doing a lot of vertical area, inside doors, inside quarters, and not going to be easy to get roller into some of these places. The stuff I use sticks better and has a much softer aluminum that confirms to the curves easier. Plus no roller or heat gun needed.

The Dynamat extreme is 67 mil thick and .45 lbs per sq ft. The stuff I use is 60 Mils thick and .62 lbs per sq ft. Actually thinner but weighs more.

The cost is cheaper too Dynamat about $4.14 per sq ft, The Raamat $2.93 sq ft

Also looked at Fatmat Megamat, 70 Mils thick, $2.60 @sq ft. But didn't see the weight. And Second skin was the most expensive $5.99 sq ft, 70 Mils thick and .6 lbs a sq ft.

There are a lot of different deadening products out there. I figure since it is a deadening/dampening item, IMO the weight/mass plays a big part compared to the thickness.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I used Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening. It cost $65.00. It was darn sticky, but the directions said to roll it and I did. You could hardly get it back off right after rolling it a little. It has a thin foil cover and was easy to use. It has a weight of 0.7 lbs/1sqft. I bought it on Amazon.
I also sprayed the inside quarter panels and tire wells with Boom Matt spray-on. It came out real thick and looked like tar, but when it dried it was real hard. I was impressed with it.
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Good info on the Boom Mat material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlFW9ACaqpI

Jim

afx1964

Post by afx1964 »

I like the Dynamat but I have friends that use the Fatmat and have been happy with it.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

a buddy in the heating N AC business gave me some of this stuff & it is a lot like the dynamat .
http://www.hillas.com/Categories/Foil-T ... Ft-24.html
I used it on a truck & was really pleased how much it helped. It probably isnt any cheaper,unless you got a buddy like mine, & it may even be higher per sq ft, but if someone was just putting in strips for sound deadening it might be easier.
Johno